Bangkok - What to do with a couple days in Bangkok??

BBMacLaird

I haven't been to Bangkok in many years but may be lucky enough to go this Winter! I've been wondering what to do with a couple days there.

Here's a list of Five Things to Do in Bangkok.

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/blog/five-things-do-bangkok

What would you do with 3 days/2 nights in Bangkok??

P.S. here's a list of voyages with long visits to Bangkok onboard the Azamara Journey...

Nov 30, 2016: 10 night Thailand and Vietnam voyage (one night in Bangkok)

Dec 10, 2016: 13 night Vietnam and Thailand voyage (two nights in Bangkok)

Jan 6, 2017: 13 night Thailand and Vietnam voyage (one night in Bangkok)

Jan 19, 2017: 13 night Thailand and Vietnam (two nights in Bangkok)

For Brits in particular, book a day trip to Kanchanaburi to see the museum, cemetery, and the site of the notorious Kwai bridge. An enormously moving experience.

Totally agree with this recommendation. Also the Grand Palace is a must-see.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I haven't been to Bangkok in many years but may be lucky enough to go this Winter! I've been wondering what to do with a couple days there.

Here's a list of Five Things to Do in Bangkok.

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/blog/five-things-do-bangkok

What would you do with 3 days/2 nights in Bangkok??

P.S. here's a list of voyages with long visits to Bangkok onboard the Azamara Journey...

Nov 30, 2016: 10 night Thailand and Vietnam voyage (one night in Bangkok)

Dec 10, 2016: 13 night Vietnam and Thailand voyage (two nights in Bangkok)

Jan 6, 2017: 13 night Thailand and Vietnam voyage (one night in Bangkok)

Jan 19, 2017: 13 night Thailand and Vietnam (two nights in Bangkok)

Bonnie,

We followed your link "Five Things To Do in Bangkok". The final photo in section 4 - "Explore the City's Waterways" is of the Karaweik Royal Barge Restaurant in Yangon. You won't find this in Bangkok!

We agree with the recommendation of a day trip to Kanchanaburi, but you really need to go a bit further to visit the museum and the remains of the railway at Hellfire Pass.

Our other recommendation is for the river busses in Bangkok. There is so much to see along the Chao Phraya river and the river bus is the best way to reach the Grand Palace.

Bonnie,

We followed your link "Five Things To Do in Bangkok". The final photo in section 4 - "Explore the City's Waterways" is of the Karaweik Royal Barge Restaurant in Yangon. You won't find this in Bangkok!

Yikes! I'll see if we can change that photo! Sorry about that...

For Brits in particular, book a day trip to Kanchanaburi to see the museum, cemetery, and the site of the notorious Kwai bridge. An enormously moving experience.

I agree, it's a big day but so worth it. We did it with a private tour as it wasn't offered on the ship. It also included Kanchanaburi to see the museum, cemetery, and the site of the notorious Kwai bridge plus the 'James Bond' river boat ride and the train. We used 'Tours by Tong' don't know if they are still around.

• 4 weeks later...
I agree, it's a big day but so worth it. We did it with a private tour as it wasn't offered on the ship. It also included Kanchanaburi to see the museum, cemetery, and the site of the notorious Kwai bridge plus the 'James Bond' river boat ride and the train. We used 'Tours by Tong' don't know if they are still around.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I really want to do this trip (father was a POW on the railway) and am disappointed the ship doesn't have it as an excursion as I'm a solo traveller and feel a bit nervous about doing a private tour so far away from the ship. I'm hoping to do one of the cruises that dock in Klong toey for two overnights so there's a full day with no time pressure. Did it work well for you?

Azamazing will probably be on the first night, so factor that in - it's a good experience. On the last half day, the floating market is a good option - we did the ship excursion and were very happy with it. That leaves day 2 as a full day, to experience a few Bangkok highlights or the WWII aspects outside Bangkok.

Tony

Bonnie, The Azamara ships are able to cruise up the Chao Phraya River and dock virtually in the centre of Bangkok. This is a big plus over the larger cruise ships that dock at Laem Chabang in the Gulf of Thailand - a two hour road trip into Bangkok centre. And it is an interesting sightseeing trip upriver.

We were on Quest on a Christmas/New Year back to back in Asia and the ship gave us two days to see the city highlights. We were travelling with another couple and arranged our own tours and things to do.

Day 1 we did a private tour with Tours With Tong who was very reliable and provided an excellent guide and driver. We were able to cut and paste the many available options to suit our wishes and it was a great day.

Day 2 the four of us went to a Thai Cooking school. There are many in Bangkok and we selected Silom Cooking School on Silom Road which had great reviews. The day started with a tour of the local markets where our cook helped us to purchase the necessary ingredients for the day's lesson. Then back to their school where each participant had their own cooking station and was skillfully led through the preparation of a three course meal. The best part - you get to eat what you cook. A very interesting tour option. We then walked around the many streets and alleys in the area tasting delicious food from the street vendor stalls. A very different day out and one that Azamara's two day stopover allows without sacrificing a full day tour of the main sightseeing attractions.

I hope your plans come to fruition and I know you will enjoy cruising Asia with Azamara.

PS. We do appreciate your assistance and advocacy for Azamara Cruise Critic readers.

Azamazing will probably be on the first night, so factor that in - it's a good experience.

We'll be on the SIN-HKG cruise that starts Nov 30 (2016) and our Azamazing Evening is Vietnam;)

We've been following the news out of Thailand - so far have only heard official mourning for a month (no alcohol, no entertainments), not a year (but civil servants should wear somber dress for a year....), so....We'll just see.

Bonnie, The Azamara ships are able to cruise up the Chao Phraya River and dock virtually in the centre of Bangkok. This is a big plus over the larger cruise ships that dock at Laem Chabang in the Gulf of Thailand - a two hour road trip into Bangkok centre. And it is an interesting sightseeing trip upriver.

We were on Quest on a Christmas/New Year back to back in Asia and the ship gave us two days to see the city highlights. We were travelling with another couple and arranged our own tours and things to do.

Day 1 we did a private tour with Tours With Tong who was very reliable and provided an excellent guide and driver. We were able to cut and paste the many available options to suit our wishes and it was a great day.

Day 2 the four of us went to a Thai Cooking school. There are many in Bangkok and we selected Silom Cooking School on Silom Road which had great reviews. The day started with a tour of the local markets where our cook helped us to purchase the necessary ingredients for the day's lesson. Then back to their school where each participant had their own cooking station and was skillfully led through the preparation of a three course meal. The best part - you get to eat what you cook. A very interesting tour option. We then walked around the many streets and alleys in the area tasting delicious food from the street vendor stalls. A very different day out and one that Azamara's two day stopover allows without sacrificing a full day tour of the main sightseeing attractions.

I hope your plans come to fruition and I know you will enjoy cruising Asia with Azamara.

PS. We do appreciate your assistance and advocacy for Azamara Cruise Critic readers.

we must have met, were there too on Quest, Annelies and Fre d fro Holland

I really want to do this trip (father was a POW on the railway) and am disappointed the ship doesn't have it as an excursion as I'm a solo traveller and feel a bit nervous about doing a private tour so far away from the ship. I'm hoping to do one of the cruises that dock in Klong toey for two overnights so there's a full day with no time pressure. Did it work well for you?

Yes it really did work well for us. We did 'tours by tong' and on a full day which had overnighters before and after. I hope you get to do it, it was certainly a highlight for us.

Hi Bonnie

As the King of Thailand died last week some tourist places may be affected by the year of mourning. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37651953

Hopefully you will still have a great trip.

I've received a security update from HQ. Here's a few excerpts...

"OCTOBER 18 – BUSINESS AND GOVERNMENT OPERATIONS TO NORMALIZE DURING ROYAL TRANSITION PERIOD. Business operations, transport, and government functions throughout the kingdom continue to normalize as Thailand enters the formal royal transition period. Government offices have reopened and have been directed to restore normal services as soon as possible.

The government has urged all operators in the tourism and hospitality sector to return to normal operations, although it is impossible to confirm whether small, independent operators are complying with the government's requests.

Public celebrations and large entertainment events remain subject to cancellation during the initial 30-day mourning period. Organizers have cancelled a number of high-profile events popular with tourists including concerts, sporting events, and holiday festivals. Most entertainment venues, including bars and restaurants in cities and popular tourist locals appear to be following a policy of remaining open but encouraging restrained behavior by staff and clientele.

ADVICE: Continue to maintain behavior and personal decorum appropriate for a period of national mourning. Strictly avoid any behavior or action that could be viewed as disrespectful toward the monarchy or Buddhist institutions within the kingdom. Allow extra travel time in central Bangkok during the mourning period, especially near the Grand Palace complex."

Good advice, Bonnie.

Thailand is still very subdued, but life seems to be carrying on much as normal. We were in Bangkok at the weekend and all the shopping malls were very busy. Most entertainment venues are still open, it is generally only public events which have been cancelled. We were initially concerned that we would have problems flying to Dubai for our cruise next Monday, but all flights are operating normally.

However, Thais will be very sensitive to any negative comments about national mourning and especially anything considered insulting to the royal family - keep your thoughts to yourself.

Kampol and Lee.

We are arriving at the port of Klong Toey at 1 pm and wonder if there is time to see anything that day before the scheduled Azamazing evening. Have read that there is a buffet before the evening but no idea of the timing.

Thanks for any info.

There should be enough time to take the shuttle into town and have a walk around, maybe look at one of the markets before the Azamazing evening. I can't remember what time we had to be ready for the Azamazing evening last year, but I'm sure you would have 3/4 hours spare.

We have been told by the friends we are meeting in Bangkok that the Grand Palace is closed indefinitely and so we will be reconsidering our plans. The tourist resorts appear to be operating with little difference but we have been advised that mourning attire might be necessary.

Most recent update notes the Grand Palace will be reopened to the public Nov 1, though grieving Thais will be paying their respects there through January at least.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1119941/no-limit-on-grieving-time-for-late-king

Also, tourists aren't expected to wear mourning clothing, though muted colors & respectable coverage is, as always, appreciated.....

Thaiattire.jpg.9c923a43c6cbec1a54e218ea837ea1b1.jpg

Edited by Hoyaheel