Very Simple Dress Code Question (Men)

jan-n-john

WE will be doing our first Azamara cruise in Nov. Caribbean. I have read the dress code information on the website and viewed some threads here. Here is my question -- how typical is it for men to not wear jackets to dinner in the MDR, specialty restaurants, Amazing evenings, White evening, and so on. If I want to travel light and not bring a jacket, I know I don't have to, but will I end up feeling out-of-place or will it even be noticed?

This is my first cruise on Azamara and I always pack lightly. Since my men's shoe size is 13, packing an extra pair of shoes for the restaurants at night creates a problem. On Oceania my black shoes which had rubber soles and were vaguely like a sneaker created a negative comment from the Maitre D' since Oceania does not like sneakers worn in the MDR. So, any info on shoe color or the formality of shoes for men would be more than welcome.

This is my first cruise on Azamara and I always pack lightly. Since my men's shoe size is 13, packing an extra pair of shoes for the restaurants at night creates a problem. On Oceania my black shoes which had rubber soles and were vaguely like a sneaker created a negative comment from the Maitre D' since Oceania does not like sneakers worn in the MDR. So, any info on shoe color or the formality of shoes for men would be more than welcome.

I'm having trouble picturing the shoes you described, since my dressiest shoes have had rubber soles for many years (ever since I discovered that such a thing existed!). I generally changed into those leather upper/rubber sole shoes for dinner on Azamara, but I think that some days I did wear my LLBean hiking shoes to dinner -- and not an eyebrow was raised [especially by a Maitre d']. We found the passengers and crew on Azamara to be remarkably open-minded in so many wonderful ways, so the absence of dress code police was just part of the great ambience.

-----so the absence of dress code police was just part of the great ambience

There is no checking of dress whatsoever. On our recent Quest cruise we were next to a table of 4, where one man was dressed in shorts and an outdoor zipped rain jacket, which my husband commented on, as you are asked to refrain from wearing shorts and jeans. At first, I thought maybe he was cold so he was wearing the jacket, because he was also coughing badly, which is what I objected to, as there was only a small space between him and myself.

Maybe he hadn't had time to change, after a long excursion?

<black shoes which had rubber soles and were vaguely like a sneaker>

These sound exactly like my DH's which he has in black leather and dark blue canvass. He wore both to Discoveries, Prime C and Aqualina with no issues.

Now, if your sox don't match, that might raise an eyebrow or two :)

There is no checking of dress whatsoever. On our recent Quest cruise we were next to a table of 4, where one man was dressed in shorts and an outdoor zipped rain jacket, which my husband commented on, as you are asked to refrain from wearing shorts and jeans. At first, I thought maybe he was cold so he was wearing the jacket, because he was also coughing badly, which is what I objected to, as there was only a small space between him and myself.

Ah how I've missed these dress code and dining room threads. What would a cruise be without a dining room where everyone goes to look at others, judge and be judged.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is no checking of dress whatsoever.

Up until our last cruise I would have agreed. However, the staff member in charge of seating in the MDR did speak to a "gentleman" in front of us regarding his interesting outfit. Whatever the response, he was allowed to enter.

Like you, however, we weren't concerned at all with his dress, it was another behaviour that proved annoying. On an early night on the cruise he deliberately stepped in front of us in the line at the entrance. Had the MDR not been almost empty, there may have been words :).

In general the checking of dress standards, as you state, does not happen, and I'm certain would never extend to shoes.

Here's what we say on our webpage entitled PACKING TIPS. From this link you'll find more information, for your reading enjoyment :)

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/booked-guests/you-board/packing-tips

"ATTIRE & PACKING TIPS

In keeping with our friendly yet sophisticated onboard environment, we encourage guests to follow a “resort casual” dress code.

Out of respect for others, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps, bathing suits, shorts, and torn/distressed jeans are not allowed in the dining room or specialty restaurants. When dining at Windows Café, guests must wear footwear and a cover-up or shirt.

Formal evening wear is not expected nor required in our restaurants. If you prefer to dress more formally, you are welcome to do so. Please note that tuxedo rentals are not available onboard."

:confused::confused:Would dark pants/khakis and white shirt be acceptable for my DH ?? ---he doesn't own any white pants and as summer is over -- can't find any to buy at this point. Thanks.

There is no requirement to wear all white--or anything white, for that matter. The only requirement is to have a good time.

:confused::confused:Would dark pants/khakis and white shirt be acceptable for my DH ?? ---he doesn't own any white pants and as summer is over -- can't find any to buy at this point. Thanks.

I don't think you'll find many men wearing white pants for white night. A white shirt will be just fine.

If you don't all ready to do this to save space, you might try to stuff his socks (or anything else that might fit in there) into his shoes while packing. It saves a little space.

• 2 weeks later...

So I see that torn or distressed jeans are not allowed, but are regular or dressy jeans allowed in the dining rooms on Azamara? I once got thrown out of the night club on Regent late at night for wearing dressy jeans. I was surprised they were that strict in the club. I avoided wearing them in the dining areas.

So I see that torn or distressed jeans are not allowed, but are regular or dressy jeans allowed in the dining rooms on Azamara? I once got thrown out of the night club on Regent late at night for wearing dressy jeans. I was surprised they were that strict in the club. I avoided wearing them in the dining areas.

Yes, regular jeans are now allowed.