Azamara fan returns from Viking Sea Cruise.

Mrs Miggins

Hi, we returned from Viking Sea, Athens to Venice last Thursday.

I am a great Azamara fan, last time on Quest in May.

I really did try to find fault with Viking, but I could not.

The ship is absolutely lovely. Great cabin, lovely bathroom. Excellent food and we dined in the speciality restaurants 5 times, at no extra charge.

Entertainment was very good, with the CD being the lovely Heather Clancy.

First time with a female CD and she was really was excellent. Music all around the ship and a deck party to rival White Night.

Big surprise was the beautiful, included, Spa complete with Ice Cave.

Used the included tours, all very good. The shuttle bus service was excellent including Piraeus to Athens. Port to Dubrovnik plus shuttles in all other ports where necessary.

Staff were smiling, accommodating and I felt that the ratio of staff to cruisers was higher than Azamara. I am sure someone would know if this was true.

Only downside I could find was lack of choice in the shops. I would not normally have noticed but on this occasion we did unusually have OBC credit since our original cruise date was cancelled.

Onboard demographic was similar to Azamara. Many however were new to Ocean cruising but were already fans of Viking River.

I would return to Viking in a heartbeat. However their prices do seem higher than Azamara, and there are no 'deals' that I can see. In addition the itineraries may not be that appealing to some.

I still love Azamara and will search for a good deal for next year. However to those who are looking for a change, then I can't speak too highly of Viking.

Thank you for your review.

I could not decide between Viking and Azamara for Xmas. In the end, went with Azamara because I knew it would be good and the drinks are all in. Yes, the Viking ships do look beautiful, but was a bit worried about a lack of activities. Is there a late-night disco or similar? Trivia? Bingo etc. I have only done one river cruise but entertainment on board was virtually nil. Were fellow passengers as relaxed as on Azamara? Viking is now back on my list, along with Seabourn! BTW, they do sometimes do offers but I think you have to call direct.

Hello Pam,

Very interested in your views of Viking and glad that you enjoyed your cruise so much.

I should know this but how many passengers does Viking Sea carry?

Looks like 930, but ship is a bit bigger than Azamara ships. Also they do run some deals like included air and/or cruise fare discounts.

Edited by LOP

Our cruise was full, but the ship is extremely spacious. We have been on Oceana Riviera and Sea seemed to have more open areas. For example there was no problem in getting an outside table for breakfast or lunch. Afternoon tea in The Wintergarden was very popular but even then there was always a space for us. The do the full monty - on 3 story trays - sandwiches, cakes and scones with cream (clotted) and jam There are no internal cabins and that seems to have freed up a lot of internal space. Decor, furnishings, restrooms etc are stunning.

The nightclub is also very good. Seats around 80 people. Great music including some cabaret specials - The Rat Pack for example. The singers were really very talented.(4 boys 3 girls) plus two dancers. Plus a pianist a guitarist and a classical trio. The CD used to be on Seabourn and speaks very well of Azamara's Eric.

The wine at lunch and dinner flows freely. Other drinks like cocktails are extra, but seemed very reasonable. Coffee, tea and soft drinks also included.

Actually just looked on a well known online TA site and there are some deals although they seem to be in the Med in January and February - not sure that appeals.

[QUOTTE=LOP;51278311]Looks like 930, but ship is a bit bigger than Azamara ships.

Thank you LOP,

Seems it is a little smaller than Oceania's Marina which I am trying for the first time in May

Hazel-I was on the Marina the year it came out. i got a PH and loved the cabin. I am a spa person and the set up of changing in one room to use toilet to go into another room to steam etc seemed weird. I enjoyed the food very much. thought i love the coffee bar area- small and narrow connected to the library. never spent time there.can not remember the shows or crew at this point. The drinks menu is more like AZ when I first started sailing with her.more choices in martini's. I think you will like the ship. Robin

Actually just looked on a well known online TA site and there are some deals although they seem to be in the Med in January and February - not sure that appeals.

For someone, especially a solo traveller such as myself, the heavily discounted deal in February has provided a very attractive opportunity to sample Viking.

Pam, I have been considering trying Viking for some time and your glowing review has really whetted my appetite. I do like to cruise just after Xmas/New Year so I have just asked my TA for a quote for a Viking Sea cruise in January. She looks to be a lovely ship, all Scandinavian and modern decor, just my taste.

My TA did warn that cruises on her are selling fast as there are discounts in Jan/Feb, so we will see if I am meant to go on her. If not, it will be Cunard Grills again for a short cruise to Hamburg.

Thanks very much for your review. Really interesting to get an experienced Azamara cruiser's perspective on Viking.

For someone, especially a solo traveller such as myself, the heavily discounted deal in February has provided a very attractive opportunity to sample Viking.

Interesting, thanks! Since I cruise solo often, I look at discounts from Azamara. I love Azamara... But it is good to know Viking also offers solo discounts...

Thank you LOP,

Seems it is a little smaller than Oceania's Marina which I am trying for the first time in May

Hazel-I was on the Marina the year it came out. i got a PH and loved the cabin. I am a spa person and the set up of changing in one room to use toilet to go into another room to steam etc seemed weird. I enjoyed the food very much. thought i love the coffee bar area- small and narrow connected to the library. never spent time there.can not remember the shows or crew at this point. The drinks menu is more like AZ when I first started sailing with her.more choices in martini's. I think you will like the ship. Robin

She looks a beautiful ship Robin and I am looking forward to sailing on her

She looks a beautiful ship Robin and I am looking forward to sailing on her

Sorry not sure why post appears twice

Edited by Spursgirl

Thanks for the great review Pam. We are huge fans of Azamara and Oceania but as we have cruised three times this year on Azamara we decided to book the Viking Star for Xmas just to try something new. We started to wonder if we had done the right thing but now we are really excited and looking forward to it.

Actually we had planned to extend our holiday by joining Azamara after we disembark Viking in San Juan. As Viking do not allow a late disembarkation, we tried to find out if we could check our luggage in early with Azamara because we didn't want to stand around the dock with our luggage for three hours.

It took months to get a reply to our question and actually we finally got our answer (which was NO) while we were on an Az cruise in September. By this time the Azamara cruise was full anyway. When we have called Viking with various questions we have received an answer immediately and the same with Oceania. Why is it such hard work with Azamara shoreside?

Pam, you might like to know that thanks to your outstanding review, Hazel and I have booked a January 2017 cruise on Viking Sea today. :)

She looks like a beautiful ship and while we are not really being unfaithful to Azamara as we are going to hopefully book another cruise with our favourite cruise line in the next week or so, it is nice to try other options.

Your review convinced us to try Viking and looking at the fantastic ship video's online, I'm sure we will love her too.

Pam, you might like to know that thanks to your outstanding review, Hazel and I have booked a January 2017 cruise on Viking Sea today. :)

She looks like a beautiful ship and while we are not really being unfaithful to Azamara as we are going to hopefully book another cruise with our favourite cruise line in the next week or so, it is nice to try other options.

Your review convinced us to try Viking and looking at the fantastic ship video's online, I'm sure we will love her too.

you both love the med. this gives you a chance to do a winter holiday in the Med and try something new. :)

you both love the med. this gives you a chance to do a winter holiday in the Med and try something new. :)

I, too, was intrigued by the stellar review and looked at Viking's other CC reviews, video and floorplans and discovered that except for the very, very top suites, there is only a shower, no tub (which is a deal-killer for me). :( So I'll be sticking with AZ and Seabourn.

Edited by pvkatmom
typo

I, too, was intrigued by the stellar review and looked at Viking's other CC reviews, video and floorplans and discovered that except for the very, very top suites, there is only a shower, no tub (which is a deal-killer for me). :( So I'll be sticking with AZ and Seabourn.

No problem for me! I much prefer a shower anyway and the bathroom looks spacious and very nice. It's great to have a quality ship in The Med in the winter, as previously the choices were mainly Costa and MSC. Of course, Azamara is always in Asia or The America's in the winter....another reason for a third Azamara ship. I did Costa once for a winter Med cruise.....never again! It was a horrible experience, but at least the weather was good.

Robin,

How could we turn down the chance of a January shopping fest? You know how much we love Barcelona in particular. And Viking Sea looks very beautiful. Bring it on!

Hi Lottie and Hazel,

Couldn't get onto the site yesterday evening. Not sure why. However so pleased to know that you have booked. I am sure you will really love the ship. We were in 3036 and more than happy with the cabin. We had calm seas and felt no 'motion' at all.

They did a cruise critic meeting and about 5 'heavies' turned up including the Captain, but didnt introduce themselves unless approached, so unlike the Azamara ones. They seemed to think that one of the roll call members should have taken charge as it was 'their' party. There were drinks and canapés and about 16 of us, but no general introductions. I am sure you could take charge or at least ask them for more input.

There are no trivia or quizzes they seem to go more for 'Lectures' on various relevant topics. Didnt actually go to any but got friendly with the wife of one of the 4 lecturers on board.

Lots of music everywhere. You will love the nightclub. Lovely barmen.

If you need more information (I am aware this is of course the Azamara site) I will publish my email.

Looking at the 29th May Azamara on Quest but seems expensive - perhaps they will have a Black Friday sale. Also looking to return to Viking perhaps on the Homelands cruise. Would prefer a strictly Fiords cruise, but they don't have that itinerary at the moment.

Think there was a technical problem with CC last night. I had problems too.

Pam, like you, will be very interested to compare Viking with Azamara after my own experience. I will certainly be partaking of Viking's wonderful afternoon tea:D

But we are not deserting Azamara. We have just returned from a fabulous cruise on Journey and are looking to book something hopefully on Quest for 2017.

Love the comparisons on this thread, but since it is an Azamara board and so as not to upset the moderators and users, it would be wise to make sure to mention other lines less.........

Azamara, Azamara,Azamara, Azamara,Azamara, Azamara,Azamara, Azamara,Azamara, Azamara, oh! and Azamara:D

Love the comparisons on this thread, but since it is an Azamara board and so as not to upset the moderators and users, it would be wise to make sure to mention other lines less.........

Azamara, Azamara,Azamara, Azamara,Azamara, Azamara,Azamara, Azamara,Azamara, Azamara, oh! and Azamara:D

I don't think anyone could say I am not a devoted Azamara fan....but this is a forum for discussing cruises and this thread is a comparison between Viking and Azamara. Therefore it should not upset moderators or other users who view this thread...and of course, we don't have a replacement for Andy yet, when comparisons are made and questions asked regarding the two cruise lines.

My next question to the OP, Mrs. Miggins is whether Viking do a Cruise Critic meeting similar to the very enjoyable events on Azamara?

I don't think anyone could say I am not a devoted Azamara fan....but this is a forum for discussing cruises and this thread is a comparison between Viking and Azamara. Therefore it should not upset moderators or other users who view this thread...and of course, we don't have a replacement for Andy yet, when comparisons are made and questions asked regarding the two cruise lines.

My next question to the OP, Mrs. Miggins is whether Viking do a Cruise Critic meeting similar to the very enjoyable events on Azamara?

Hi Lottie

I agree that one should be able to honestly compare lines and i see that on other lines. Many of us are loyal to one line but try another due to dates, location of travel or just want to try something new. I find that Oceania is compared the most as people stay with the same size ship. Yet the Oceania and Regent people compare them as up to a year ago the same parent company.

How else would we learn anything if we did not ask questions and look at the answers. I miss Andy and I believe some thread need closing or comments go away. He is hard act to follow but i wish someone would.

As far as CC parties go seems AZ does the best. some cruiselines do not have one at all. maybe Hazel and you can get a group together and take over a bar. Once years ago on Princess a group about 50 did. I knew the bar was quiet and would be on first night. they ended getting more bartenders in. None of us cared about food we just wanted to drink and talk. great roll call and fun people. you never just never know.

I was on the Athens-Venice cruise this August. It was very port intensive.

The CC meet up was scheduled during sail away so we did not attend. If it had been even an hour later we would have gone to it.

On our Australia cruise it was very well attended, almost packed.