Same Sex Weddings

lockmup

we tried in 2009 on The Carnival Spirit when we were boarding in Vancouver BC and cruising Canadian waters on our way to Hawaii....Carnival said "NO" :mad: because

of the "mess" in California ,,,,they just didnt want to get involved.

so, we got Married in Niagara Falls last year :) ,,,because we live in NYS and it is only 1 hour away,,,,,,NOW that NYS allows Same Sex marriages,,,we got married 3 WEEKS AGO! on August 4th!

one of the longest engagements..LOL.. we have been together 29 years,,,30 in October. :rolleyes:

anyways, I would think you'd have to be in a country that allows SS Marriages or in the waters of a countrty that does,,,,,but as we later found out,,,unless your actual state allows SS Marriages,it wont be legal anyways...as NYS told us, so we had to renew our vows because only some "agencies in NYS" would accept the Canadian marriage :eek: ,,,so we renewed because once married here in NY,,,ALL AGENCIES HAVE TO! :D

Good Luck on your Marriage quest,,,and YES it does feel different , even after 29 years,,,:)

Congratulations on the marriage!

It's about time we had this basic human right here in NYS.

I just booked a cruise for me and my partner in February. Very excited! It's a surprise and I am having a very hard time keeping it a secret...I actually planning on proposing during the cruise.

Hopefully it's only a matter of time before cruise lines take on this opportunity, they'd probably see their revenues increase like crazy.

There is conflicting information out there. I Googled "Gay Marriage on Cruise Ship" and an article on e-How popped up which stated that Celebrity, Azmara and Princess provide weddings at sea...

Celebrity's site states otherwise. The ships captains do not perform marriages at sea or in port. They will have an officiant marry you. Their website is not clear on gay marriages - I assume that they would be performed in states or provinces which honor gay marriages: NY, MA and Canada.

I e-mailed Celebrity's Wedding Planner to ask about gay marriages and will report back when I hear back.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do?faqSubjectName=Special+Occasions%2FBon+Voyage&faqId=598&pagename=faq_answers

Monster - I proposed to my husband while on our very first cruise, got married in California during the brief window we had, and honeymooned on an Hawaiian cruise.

If you'd like to borrow my romantic (I think) method of proposing, you're more than welcome to. Here's what I did: while anchored off Princess Cays, I arranged to have the balcony breakfast delivered. I had also made a music mix of some favorite romantic songs. When we got to cut four ("Sweet Happy Life"), I said a few things about how important our relationship was to me, then told him I wanted to spend every second, minute, hour and day of the rest of my life with him. "And to make sure you remember that, I want you to wear this," I said, and pulled out a beautiful watch I'd bought for him. He still wears it every day.

Have you checked with NCL. When the episode of Undercover Boss that involved NCL; one of the staff members who worked in the dining room made a comment that her and her girl friend are wanting to get married. At the end of the episode Mr. Sheehan arranged for them to get married on the Norwegian Epic.

Here is what I received from Celebrity. I could not upload the pdf attachment which outlines the "wedding package" because the file is too large for Cruise Critic. If you're interested in receiving this, e-mail me and I will forward to you: scorpgc@gmail.com

Apparently, all of the Celebrity Ships have been re-registered in Malta so the Captain is now permitted to marry couples. It appears though that we can only get married in US or Canadian ports. If we want to have a commitment ceremony (they call it "symbolic wedding") at sea, the Cruise Director would do it. Sorry, but that just sucks. What, because we're same-sex the Captain won't perform a commitment ceremony?

Good afternoon, Gary,

We can offer same-sex weddings from certain ports. We do not offer them from any European ports, however, but we may be able to do a symbolic wedding by the Cruise Director on a day at sea. Our symbolic at sea package is $2500 and I've attached our brochure so you can see what the package includes. Please see this on page 8 of the brochure.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Katie Nelson

Phone: 866-535-2352

Fax: 888-760-7225

Have you checked with NCL. When the episode of Undercover Boss that involved NCL; one of the staff members who worked in the dining room made a comment that her and her girl friend are wanting to get married. At the end of the episode Mr. Sheehan arranged for them to get married on the Norwegian Epic.

NCL is VERY supportive. They hosted the wedding for a couple of their cruise staff and then paid for their honeymoon. Probably a cruise, but still a strong gesture of support!

Congratulations on the marriage!

It's about time we had this basic human right here in NYS.

I just booked a cruise for me and my partner in February. Very excited! It's a surprise and I am having a very hard time keeping it a secret...I actually planning on proposing during the cruise.

Hopefully it's only a matter of time before cruise lines take on this opportunity, they'd probably see their revenues increase like crazy.

Thank you!;)

Thank you!;)

No problem! It was such a joyous day for us here in NY that day...my grandmother sent me an e-mail that night and told me she was ecstatic she'd be able to attend my wedding one day :-)

And couples like you make me happy, that you stuck together and held out hope one day you'd be able to be legally recognized as a loving couple!

We recently, July 30th, got married on the Norwegian Jewel and we enjoyed every minute of it!

The funny thing is NCL won our wedding booking by default. You see originally we reached out to Carnival since we had taken our very first cruised with them and not only loved it but became hooked on cruising. However, we were quickly rejected as they do not do same-sex weddings.

So then we looked into RCCL. They were very happy to tell us about their wedding planning options and we just knew we would be married on their Explorer of the Seas out of Bayonne, NJ. However, being city girls (NYC born & raised) and having the majority of our guest from NYC it didn't make since to sail out of NJ and make it harder for guest (we'd be up in a hotel the night before so the commute wouldn't matter to us), but we decided we didn't want to inconvenience anyone not with NYC having it's own terminal right in Manhattan. So we then became NCL brides.

Since we've been back I've had the opportunity to post a wedding review here on CC. See link below. We did have 'one' problem and even though we weren't happy about it it didn't ruin our wedding and in the end NCL was gracious and gave us a partial refund even though you sign a contract basically saying certain things are out of their control. We would do it all over again, but with more guest if we could afford it lol.

By the way, staff on the Norwegian were VERY supportive. We had many come up and congratulate us and one young man who worked for the kids crew was like "I am gay and I am so happy for you ladies" 'I'm so excited". Even one of the cruise director's team members congratulated us and smiled every time he ran into us, as well as a few other staff. Even guest were excited and stopped to say hi as we party the rest of the day & night away in our wedding gowns.

Our NCL Jewel wedding picture review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1462186

If anyone has ayn specific questions about embarkment day NCL weddings feel free to ask.

Ohhhhhhhhh and I forgot to mention the icing on the cake::: since same-sex marriage became legal in NY 6 days before our wedding we were actually 'legally' married on NCL Jewel!

We recently, July 30th, got married on the Norwegian Jewel and we enjoyed every minute of it!

The funny thing is NCL won our wedding booking by default. You see originally we reached out to Carnival since we had taken our very first cruised with them and not only loved it but became hooked on cruising. However, we were quickly rejected as they do not do same-sex weddings.

So then we looked into RCCL. They were very happy to tell us about their wedding planning options and we just knew we would be married on their Explorer of the Seas out of Bayonne, NJ. However, being city girls (NYC born & raised) and having the majority of our guest from NYC it didn't make since to sail out of NJ and make it harder for guest (we'd be up in a hotel the night before so the commute wouldn't matter to us), but we decided we didn't want to inconvenience anyone not with NYC having it's own terminal right in Manhattan. So we then became NCL brides.

Since we've been back I've had the opportunity to post a wedding review here on CC. See link below. We did have 'one' problem and even though we weren't happy about it it didn't ruin our wedding and in the end NCL was gracious and gave us a partial refund even though you sign a contract basically saying certain things are out of their control. We would do it all over again, but with more guest if we could afford it lol.

By the way, staff on the Norwegian were VERY supportive. We had many come up and congratulate us and one young man who worked for the kids crew was like "I am gay and I am so happy for you ladies" 'I'm so excited". Even one of the cruise director's team members congratulated us and smiled every time he ran into us, as well as a few other staff. Even guest were excited and stopped to say hi as we party the rest of the day & night away in our wedding gowns.

If anyone has ayn specific questions about embarkment day NCL weddings feel free to ask.

Ohhhhhhhhh and I forgot to mention the icing on the cake::: since same-sex marriage became legal in NY 6 days before our wedding we were actually 'legally' married on NCL Jewel!

CONRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we were married here in NYS 8/4/11,,,,after 29 years together, ( 30 in October)

Congratulations on your wedding. . . you look so happy together from your wedding pictures. I always have thought that NCL was one of the most gay friendly lines.

CONRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we were married here in NYS 8/4/11,,,,after 29 years together, ( 30 in October)

Congratulations!!

We actually were down at the county clerk's office here in NYC on the day it became legal to get our license and we met so many long term couples while standing on the line. It was beautiful. We will be 12 years together on New Years Day.

Congratulations on your wedding. . . you look so happy together from your wedding pictures. I always have thought that NCL was one of the most gay friendly lines.

Thank you. It was our very first time on NCL and it was VERY gay friendly. The staff was wonderful and even the other guest were congratulating us left and right when they spotted us with our gowns. I was so happy to have had that kind of an experience especially on a day like our wedding day.

What a beautiful couple! Looks like you had an amazing wedding.

Thank you!...and we sure DID!:D

Congratulations! We are getting married 10/1. We have "only" been together for 17 years though :)

17 years? you still beat 60% of the straight world! Congratulations!

a friend asked very snotty , I might add ,"does that piece of paper really make a difference"? I said "Yes,,it grounds you,,,,it makes it real"

his reply was,,,all that in a piece of paper? and after 30 years you need a piece of paper"?

I answered,,, "there is a difference between want and need,,,we wanted that piece of paper...."

Archived