Tipping in Rome

jshli

What would be an appropriate tip in each case?

It depends on your accent.

A European accent and nobody will expect anything.

An American accent and they will be holding their breath in anticipation of a disproportionately large amount.

An American accent and they will be holding their breath in anticipation of a disproportionately large amount.

:D :D :D so true!

Like:D

Don't some of those private companies actually list an "appropriate tip" on their website? I seem to remember when I was browsing years ago. I'm sure it is targeted toward the American tourist.

The only time I do a "tip" is at the coffee bar; I'll put one coin (usually a .10) on top of the receipt when I put the receipt on the bar for the barista to make my espresso. It's more of a "bribe" to do mine before another tourist who has left no coin ;)

How about if you speak broken Italian with a Roman accent :D

What if I start channelling my dear, departed ex-nanna-in-law and her Neapolitan accent??

I just went to the Rome in Limo (one of the ones always mentioned here) and found:

"Tipping is not included in our service fees. It is never mandatory although it is always appreciated."

You could try all the accents in the world. But the sneakers and shorts will give you away.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just went to the Rome in Limo (one of the ones always mentioned here) and found:

"Tipping is not included in our service fees. It is never mandatory although it is always appreciated."

Yes but, as has been pointed out before, RIL is an American company targeting American tourists, so they are tossing seeds on fertile ground and they use this as a competitive advantage to attract the drivers they want. It's a smart business strategy, getting your customers to pay part of your expenses for you.

Yes but, as has been pointed out before, RIL is an American company targeting American tourists, so they are tossing seeds on fertile ground and they use this as a competitive advantage to attract the drivers they want. It's a smart business strategy, getting your customers to pay part of your expenses for you.

They provide a fabulous product to English speaking travelers (probably others to) I love them and have used them at least 6 times now, and will continue to book with them. They are spendy for a couple and a great value when you have 2, 3 or 4 couples! I don't care if they are American Co or a Chinese Co they provide a great tour!

They provide a fabulous product to English speaking travelers (probably others to) I love them and have used them at least 6 times now, and will continue to book with them. They are spendy for a couple and a great value when you have 2, 3 or 4 couples! I don't care if they are American Co or a Chinese Co they provide a great tour!
No one suggested that they don't provide a great service, that's not the point. The discussion is about tipping, and this particular bit was about why a company might suggest tipping even when it goes against the culture in the country where they are operating. Edited by euro cruiser

No one suggested that they don't provide a great service, that's not the point. The discussion is about tipping, and this particular bit was about why a company might suggest tipping even when it goes against the culture in the country where they are operating.

Read their website! What's wrong with you people? Tips not required.....

Aren't your customers going to pay all of your expenses, one way or another? Where else does the money come from?

Of course they do, but since this is a cruise forum let's use that industry for a comparison. Cruise lines have a "hotel service fee" that is not included in their quoted prices. This fee/tip is voluntary but you know that they are counting on it and have held it out to employees as something that should be expected. Not making it part of the quoted pricing allows them to compete at a certain price level.

Everyone competing in the mid-range of the cruise industry does it the same way so no one line enjoys any advantage from the practice. By contrast, in the car service/tour industry in Italy RIL appears to the be first and the most direct about encouraging tipping which gives them a competitive advantage as an employer, at least until others follow their lead. That's why it's relevant that they are an American company marketing themselves to American consumers, because their message falls on fertile ground. It would not be so well received by Australian ears, on the other hand, because tipping is not an ingrained part of their culture.

Edited by euro cruiser

I get what you are saying, but the fact is, all your money for expenses, and profits, comes from the customer, one way or the other. If it doesn't, you are out of business. No exceptions.

And, as you have pointed out, Rome in Limo has the added incentive for their employees that they attract Americans, and Americans tip more. What employee is going to refuse to work for Rome in Limo, and turn down extra money. If Rome in Limo thus gets to be selective about hiring excellent employees because of this fact, great! That is why they have happy customers.

I get what you are saying, but the fact is, all your money for expenses, and profits, comes from the customer, one way or the other. If it doesn't, you are out of business. No exceptions.
Well, there are other sources of funds (like tax breaks for certain corporate behaviors, as an example) but that would take us way off topic here.

This topic always gets some interesting comments. But, I would simply submit that the term "Ugly American" applies to fellow Americans who insist on imposing our American culture on other countries. There are various tipping "cultures" around the world which vary from the big tips (often 20% these days) given by North Americans...vs 0 % which is the norm in many countries (including Australia).

Some Americans think they are doing the "right thing" by being generous with tips (when they travel) but the reality is that many locals resent Americans...who they see as rich Yanks who like to flaunt their wealth by giving big tips. And yes, quite a few Europeans are now taking advantage of our tipping generosity...while smirking behind our backs. The reality is they think we are foolish (but they still take the money) and I have had an Italian tell me that we are simply idiots to give away our money. It is a worse situation down under where we have been told by a few folks that they resent American's tipping because it is ruining their no-tip culture. One Aussie told DW and me that in Australian they "pay a living wage" and tipping is an insult. On the other hand, we have never seen anyone refuse to accept a tip :).

As a long time world traveler, I think its smart to act like a guest...when visiting foreign countries. And part of being a guest is to learn something about the local culture (including tipping) and try to adhere to these standards....so as not to offend our hosts. There are many good web sites that will give you the tipping standards by country (and sometimes region within countries). Some travel magazines have even occasionally included pull-outs that set forth tipping standards by country.

I do think that we Americans often feel uncomfortable not tipping...or tipping 5% (not uncommon in Italian restaurants where you get very good service). But once you get into the swing of things...its not hard to follow local mores.

Hank

This tipping question comes up so often it has come to the point of being boring. So, by now it has been well established that in European countries we don't have a tipping culture and we don't want it.

I just don't understand that when Americans know they don't need to leave a tip they continue to do it. At the end of the day it is unlikely that you are ever going to see that driver, guide, waiter or whoever again. It's not as if you are dining in your local restaurant, for goodness sake.

Tipping in Italian restaurants, particularly in "fine dining" establishments in cosmopolitan cities like Rome, is actually quite common (locals and tourists). Following a growing trend in certain "foodie" cities here in the US (e.g., SF), a few even now add a standard gratuity of approx. 10% (not to be confused with il coperto).

Whatever the culture may be, there is nothing wrong with recognizing exceptional service by rounding up a bill amount and/or leaving change on the table. What is "wrong" is doing it as an unthinking robotic act or because one will feel like a cheapskate if they don't tip.

This is particularly true with tour guides and drivers. Whether group or individual ride/tour, our decision regarding a tip (and how much) really depends on the quality of what we got.

And it's not always money: On one of our work related trips to China, a guide who accompanied us for much of our visit was exceptionally knowledgeable, accommodating and entertaining. His English was heavily influenced by listening to western music and "watching John Wayne movies" as a youngster. His service netted him a mixed CD of music not readily available there.

In regards to tipping: Follow local custom when traveling; end of story. Italy's tipping culture is not like the US tipping culture. If we expect other travelers to follow our US tipping customs while in the US (which I frequently read on these boards), why is it a stretch to realize that we should do the same in other countries?

In regards to RIL: My personal opinion only -- RIL is an American company operating in a foreign market. Full disclosure, I have not used them as I would prefer to deal with a local company. But I wonder how other local companies feel when (perhaps) their better guides and drivers are lured elsewhere by someone encouraging business practices that are not the local custom? And it is certainly true that up until a year or so ago, RIL did have information on their website suggesting that a tip should be offered and even suggesting a percentage. (I believe, but of course cannot confirm, that it was removed after vigorous discussion here....)

Now someone will surely come back and say that RIL offers an unparalleled experience. Perhaps -- but I also think many RIL users have not used other services and don't exactly have a real baseline for comparison. Where RIL seems to excel is in offering customers a sort of "Lifestyles" experience wherein they are whisked off in a nice car, treated deferentially by their driver and RIL's handler, and basically provided with a sanitary "no worries" day. Which is great if that's what you're after. Many people use them time after time -- but have they ever used anyone else? I've traveled in Europe (and Italy in particular) on and off since age 14 and have used virtually every method of touring: big bus tours, local small group tours, private guides, ship-sponsored excursions, institutional tours, audioguides, DIY -- you name it. There are excellent and not-so-excellent options at many different levels.