MSC PREZIOSA - Aug. 21, 2015

V&D Mom

Hi all, I am new to this forum so not sure where to post my question. We will be on the Preziosa leaving from Marseille to the following ports: Genoa, Civitavecchia, Palermo, Cagliari, Palma de Mallorca, Valencia. We like to book some excursions before we go. Can you please let me know where we should look for more information. Thanks for all your inputs.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

A good place to start is the Ports of Call section of the Cruise Critic message boards. Here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19 you will find sections for the different countries you will be visiting.

You can also get in touch with others who will be on your sailing through the Roll Calls: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=977 If there's not a roll call already started for your cruise date, start one! Unfortunately these are usually not as active for MSC as they are for other lines, but it's worth a try.

Happy cruising! :)

Thanks Flygirl. Is this your first time on this cruise ship? This is our first time on the MSC, I am really looking forward :)

I imagine you'll love it. I've been on Preziosa 3 times, now (see below). Of the 3 out of 4 Fantasia class ships I've been on (I've yet to try Divina) it had the best Entertainment Team I've come across and the crew are really friendly once you interact with them. The Social Hosts/Hostesses are also very engaging.

On my last cruise any minor issue I had was very quickly dealt with including follow-ups from Guest Relations to ensure that the matter had been sorted - I was really impressed. To me, MSC has made huge improvements in all areas since I first started cruising with them in 2011 which is why I keeping coming back! :D

Thanks Flygirl. Is this your first time on this cruise ship? This is our first time on the MSC, I am really looking forward :)

We are doing it as a family trip as my sister and I live in HK but come back for the summer. For my parents it will be the first time on MSC and for my sister and I it will be our first ever cruise.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi Flygirl, I would love to hear about your cruise since I am going right after you. Thanks.

We just got back from it and we enjoyed it so much. My parents had previously cruised on smaller ships so they thought it was a bit big for them but my sister and I really enjoyed its size as there was plenty to do for us. I have to agree with one of the posters up above, the entertainment team, the animation team, the waiters and waitresses. If you interact with them and can have a laugh with them they are absolutely great.

We went to the theatre most nights but our favourite shows were Wonderland and Pandora. There were 3 theme nights on board; 60s, 70s and 80s (which most people didn't join in on), white night (a lot of people joined in with this one) and Italian night (which almost everyone joined in with) and two gala nights.

If you've got any questions that I can answer for you, then please let me know.

We just got back from it and we enjoyed it so much. My parents had previously cruised on smaller ships so they thought it was a bit big for them but my sister and I really enjoyed its size as there was plenty to do for us. I have to agree with one of the posters up above, the entertainment team, the animation team, the waiters and waitresses. If you interact with them and can have a laugh with them they are absolutely great.

We went to the theatre most nights but our favourite shows were Wonderland and Pandora. There were 3 theme nights on board; 60s, 70s and 80s (which most people didn't join in on), white night (a lot of people joined in with this one) and Italian night (which almost everyone joined in with) and two gala nights.

If you've got any questions that I can answer for you, then please let me know.

Great to hear you enjoyed your cruise, Flygirl. Wonderland is my favourite show too. I haven't seen Pandora - maybe they'll have it on my next trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Flygirl 25. We are on Preziosa August 22 and have read some bad reviews about the food. How did you find it? Also do people really dress for gala nights? It it tux for guys or w old a dark suit do? Thanks. TJ

we have booked the med cruise from Marseille in January. My family are coming from OZ and it seemed like a good way for them to see some of Europe. I know it will be cold, but has anyone done the med in early January, and what was it like?:)

Thanks so much Flygirl. I am 3 weeks away from our Europe trip and super excited about our MSC cruise. Any tips on excursions that you took.

We only did one of the MSC excursions and that was for Rome as it is far from the port and my dad can't walk well. In Palermo we hired a taxi to take us to the sights for 3 hours. In Cagliari we walked around but one of the main sights to see is shut for refurbishment so just took a HOHO. In Palma, MSC organised a bus to take you from the dock area to the city centre and then we just walked around. If you just want to do the HOHO in Palma then I wouldn't take the transfer as the bus stops where the ship docks. In Valencia, they did the same and we just did the same as we did in Palma. In Marseille we took a taxi from the port to the centre and then took the tourist train up to the church on the hill and along the coast.

One thing that was quite annoying was sorting out paying your onboard account but you need to look into that more onboard.

Hi Flygirl 25. We are on Preziosa August 22 and have read some bad reviews about the food. How did you find it? Also do people really dress for gala nights? It it tux for guys or w old a dark suit do? Thanks. TJ

We found the food really nice and very varied. My sister is very picky but she found something to eat every night in the main dining room. If not there was the buffet with freshly made Italian pizza coming out often. I think it depends as the cuisine is very Italian based (ie. a pasta course should you wish) and lots of seafood. Most people really did dress up for the gala nights, not so far as tuxedos but definitely suits.

Thanks so much Flygirl. We already booked for Rome with Civita Tours. I am hoping they will be decent. I heard Palma is beautiful, so in Palma did you visit the Cathedral? Which Island impress you the most?

Thanks Flygirl. I love pasta and seafood so I'll be more that happy. Guess I'll pack some evening type dresses for gala nights. Really excited now. We are thinking of making our own way into Rome as we've visited twice previously. Guess I'd better start researching transport. The information you posted is very useful. Thanks for your help. Tracy.

Thanks so much Flygirl. We already booked for Rome with Civita Tours. I am hoping they will be decent. I heard Palma is beautiful, so in Palma did you visit the Cathedral? Which Island impress you the most?

We loved Palermo, but we had a really good taxi driver and I can speak Italian so it was easy to negotiate and bargain down the price. Cagliari was also beautiful but I think the time in port was too long as they are trying to compensate for Tunis. The cathedral in Palma is absolutely worth it and the town is pretty but we only spent a few hours there as our parents didn't get off the boat and we wanted to get back to have dinner with them. I wish the time in Valencia was longer as there was much more to see.

Thanks Flygirl. I love pasta and seafood so I'll be more that happy. Guess I'll pack some evening type dresses for gala nights. Really excited now. We are thinking of making our own way into Rome as we've visited twice previously. Guess I'd better start researching transport. The information you posted is very useful. Thanks for your help. Tracy.

There were lots of taxis waiting at the port to take people on day trips from Civitavecchia but be aware of the all aboard time as we say lots of people coming back late and having to run for the ship.

• 1 month later...

I just came back from our cruise and I am so disappointed. We always had problem finding a table to eat in the buffet areas. The free shuttle bus was not clearly indicated in the Daily Program at Valencia Port. Many cruisers went ahead and booked the $12.90/person to go to the city centre, because they didn't know there were free shuttle to the terminal so we can take the city bus for about $4!!! We booked a total of 5 rooms on deck 12 and our kids 2 rooms always smelled of smokes. We did call and complained and they did try to clear the air and that didn't help. The only good things from this cruise are the ports.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi V&D Mom. We were on the Preziosa at the same time as you and we loved it. So sorry you had a bad experience. Our cabin was fine, we really enjoyed the cruise. Hope your next cruise leaves you feeling better😄

Sent from my iPad using Forums