I just read this... anyone have more detailed info on Divina dry dock??

CamaCama

From cruise industry news...

"In October 2015, upon completion of her Mediterranean season with a unique 10-night cruise, MSC Divina will enter dry dock in Europe.

While in dry dock, the ship will receive some surprise enhancements specifically for the North American market before returning back home to South Florida for a third season of seven-night Caribbean cruises starting in November 2015."

Does anyone have a list of what will be done in dry dock? Installation of a kids splash park (like on preziosa) would seal the deal for us to book her!!

Hmmm did a quick google search and it looks like they are keeping it under wraps! "The ship will receive some surprise enhancements specifically for the North American market before returning back home to South Florida for a third season of seven-night Caribbean cruises starting in November 2015."

I would think the Lego playroom for kids and the Chicco's Baby Club will be added since these are part of the new additions aboard MSC Armonia. Divina does need a spray park for the kids but I'm not sure where the space for it will come from.

As long as it's a dry dock for good reasons like making the ship better or refurbishments, then I could care less what they have planned. They can surprise me.

I just hope no delays as I am booked on the Thanksgiving 2015 cruise. ;)

• 5 months later...

These are the only 2 cruises divina is doing in Oct 2015

They leave the 16th-23rd Oct unaccounted for. if they try to sqeeze a short dry dock in those dates I would worry about the TA being on time

06 Oct 2015, 10 nights, 06 - 16th Oct (beginning and ending in Civitacvecchia, and I don't think the could Dry Dock there)

They have to move to Genoa for the TA, it only takes about 10 hours to sail between the two ports, so she could be there on the evening of 16th Oct.

perhaps they may be able to do some minor changes there? but it's not much time.!!!

The other cruise is

24 Oct 2015, 18 nights. Trans Altlantic

dry%20dock.jpg

Edited by Skier52

For the TA to Miami in 2013 the cruise prior to it was cancelled for the dry dock, they did the same with Poesia for the TA from Barcelona to FLL and with the Orchestra last year before we sailed to Dubai from Venice.

Pete ... There is a Drydock at Genoa which they could use for any work.

Interesting to see if it does go into dry dock. We tried to move are dates earlier in October/November but ended up pushing it forward, when I was looking for new dates I saw dates in October were missing.

I did the NCL Pride of America right after dry dock (2nd cruise after) a few things hadn't been finished but they were small and unless you paid attention not noticeable. The ship had a new smell... fresh paint, carpet and window treatments. It was not overwhelming but it had a new house smell to me. We had a balcony and kept the door open a lot so I really couldn't tell in the room.

The Davina is 3yrs old?? I would assume it just needs a freshen up, not a huge overhaul.

Hello

Divina is chartered - I found this:

Stars On Board is thrilled to announce its 4th cruise event that will sail out of ROME (Italy) on October 20th, 2015. After our 3 previous successful cruise events to the Bahamas and the Mediterranean - Adriatic Sea, we will be sailing this time out of ITALY aboard the brand new and luxurious MSC, DIVINA. This event will showcase the most spectacular and interactive performances of Middle Eastern Stars who will join us on this special sea excursion. This is only the beginning, as Stars on Board Inc. will take you on a journey across the rich heritage and extraordinary culture of the Middle Eastern people through the love of music, dance and entertainment.

Join us on this incredible excursion on board the-state-of-the-art DIVINA cruise ship which will depart from ROME (Italy) to MARSEILLES (France), BARCELONA (Spain) and back to GENOA - MILAN (Italy), for an unforgettable excursion starting from Tuesday October 20th to October 24th, 2015.

best regards

Hello

Divina is chartered - I found this:

Stars On Board is thrilled to announce its 4th cruise event that will sail out of ROME (Italy) on October 20th, 2015. After our 3 previous successful cruise events to the Bahamas and the Mediterranean - Adriatic Sea, we will be sailing this time out of ITALY aboard the brand new and luxurious MSC, DIVINA. This event will showcase the most spectacular and interactive performances of Middle Eastern Stars who will join us on this special sea excursion. This is only the beginning, as Stars on Board Inc. will take you on a journey across the rich heritage and extraordinary culture of the Middle Eastern people through the love of music, dance and entertainment.

Join us on this incredible excursion on board the-state-of-the-art DIVINA cruise ship which will depart from ROME (Italy) to MARSEILLES (France), BARCELONA (Spain) and back to GENOA - MILAN (Italy), for an unforgettable excursion starting from Tuesday October 20th to October 24th, 2015.

best regards

Thought as much - thank you for that!

Someone said a ship coming out of dry dock can smell odd...has any one experienced this before? Don't know anything about dry dock. Our ship is due Oct 2015...MSC.

Can't say I ever noticed a smell after dry dock. I guess it depends what it is in dry dock for. MSC often sends it's ships into dry dock for a few weeks just before a repositioning trip. It's mainly deep cleaning and sprucing up and some maintenance.

• 2 months later...

So since it's chartered the week before, did they scrap the dry dock before the TA re positioning?

I sail on her in December and really hope they re-seal the men's public restroom tile, had a bad soaked-in urine smell in all public restrooms when I sailed on her last year. Seems the tile masons did not seal the tile or the grout at the time. Although this seems like a repair you could do at-sea by closing one restroom at a time.

We were on Divina in September and DH assures me there was no "soaked-in urine smell" in any of the public gents restrooms.

We also asked the crew if she would be having any work done before the TA as we'll be on her for the crossing and were informed that she's chartered and not going to dry-dock beforehand.

"Drydock" can mean a number of things. The ship can be completely removed from the water for major repairs taking several weeks, or it can be tied up in port for a day or two to refurbish some cabins, paint, exchange minor machinery, etc. If the Divina will return to Genoa on 16 Oct and depart on her TA on the 24th, there will be plenty of time to make many repairs or whatever they want to do for the winter season in the Caribbean. We'll be boarding her on the 24th for the TA.

MSC announced earlier this year that Divina would go into drydock in order to change things on the ship to make it more like home for the American market! why do they have to spoil the ship!

I was hoping they would 'Americanise' it a bit, Dave, just to change things up. I'd love to see an outside grill somewhere around one of the pool areas so you didn't have to go indoors for lunch all the time. Grabbing a burger from the buffet isn't quite the same thing. I'd also love to see a bit more diversity offered by MSC among the fleet. I'm beginning to tire of the similarities (as well as the repetitive itineraries!) and am looking forward to experiencing Celebrity for its differences.

Also, in fairness to MSC, Divina is going back to Miami and they're hoping to build their market there. You only have to read a few posts on these boards to see the number from the US who are 'afraid' to try MSC as a result of the poor reviews circulating on social media.