Food allergies on MSC?

bangzoom6877

We are considering the Divina to the Caribbean for our next cruise. My son is allergic to shellfish, tree nuts, and peanuts. I am wondering how MSC handles food allergies...what the procedure is, how attentive they are, how seriously they take life threatening allergies, etc. We just got off the Norwegian Breakaway two days ago, and we were very disappointed and stressed with how they handled food allergies. I spoke to Guest Services onboard and also emailed NCL about it. In the last our experience on NCL regarding food allergies was excellent, but this was complete opposite, including a chef telling us certain desserts were safe and then he found out 15 minutes later that they were made with almond flour. Could have been a horror for us if we were already up to desser but thank goodness we weren't.

Anyway, if anyone has food allergy experience on MSC I would appreciate some information!

I have a milk allergy and went on a MSC cruise in 2013 right after booking I needed to fill in a medical form for the allergys I have that was send to headquarters and the told us if it could handeled on the ship.

Once on the ship you go to the restaurant and speak to the matre d and he confirms that they have a notice of the allergys, each night I got a menu for the next night and could make a choice of some of the dishes and it would prepared seperatly and served from a different kitchen the next evening.

I have a milk allergy and went on a MSC cruise in 2013 right after booking I needed to fill in a medical form for the allergys I have that was send to headquarters and the told us if it could handeled on the ship.

Once on the ship you go to the restaurant and speak to the matre d and he confirms that they have a notice of the allergys, each night I got a menu for the next night and could make a choice of some of the dishes and it would prepared seperatly and served from a different kitchen the next evening.

Thank you for that information! That is exactly how Carnival handled it two years ago, and the Norwegian Jewel as well in 2011. Milk allergy is a tough one, I know. My friend's daughter has that allergy as well as peanuts.

Did you eat anywhere other than the dining room?

I did a some lunches at the buffet sometimes i stayed on the safe side just meat, vegetable and fries other times i asked the guy who was cutting the meat and went for a cook and he would tell what i could eat and what not.

Breakfast and dinners we did at MDR.

I did a some lunches at the buffet sometimes i stayed on the safe side just meat, vegetable and fries other times i asked the guy who was cutting the meat and went for a cook and he would tell what i could eat and what not.

Breakfast and dinners we did at MDR.

Great, thanks!

I am allergic to latex so this is an issue with how the food is prepared and packaged. MSC use latex gloves for food preparation and I was not allowed to book a cruise with MSC. They say in their own FAQ section you can bring your own food on board if you have allergies and when I asked if I could I was told no I could not as they would not allow it on a 7 day cruise. So I have to say less than impressed with MSC cruises.

I have spoken with NCL and Royal Carabian and they use latex gloves in food preparation and they have both said they could accommodate the allergy. Though not sure how safe it would be.... With NCL all their staff use latex gloves throughout the ship. So even if safe to eat would not be safe in public areas of the ship. Cunard and P and O do not use latex gloves for food preparation or in cabin preparation.

I am allergic to latex so this is an issue with how the food is prepared and packaged. MSC use latex gloves for food preparation and I was not allowed to book a cruise with MSC. They say in their own FAQ section you can bring your own food on board if you have allergies and when I asked if I could I was told no I could not as they would not allow it on a 7 day cruise. So I have to say less than impressed with MSC cruises.

I have spoken with NCL and Royal Carabian and they use latex gloves in food preparation and they have both said they could accommodate the allergy. Though not sure how safe it would be.... With NCL all their staff use latex gloves throughout the ship. So even if safe to eat would not be safe in public areas of the ship. Cunard and P and O do not use latex gloves for food preparation or in cabin preparation.

That is absolutely ridiculous. No one should use latex gloves in food prep today. It's such a common allergy. I'm sorry you had to go through that. NCL handled my son's allergies poorly on our cruise last week. I spoke to Guest Services onboard, and I also emailed them when we got home. This morning I got a cold and callous response from them, without so much as an "I'm sorry for your trouble". Just "I'll forward it to the department that can assist." Unacceptable! His life was put at risk when a chef told us he could eat any dessert he wanted to one day at lunchtime. Only 15 minutes later that same chef came out to tell us that 3 out of the 4 desserts were made with almond flour, and my son is allergic to all nuts. Thank goodness we weren't up to dessert because my son wanted to try one of those cakes. Could have been a complete disaster, I don't even want to think about what could have happened to him. Not even an apology. We might be done with them for a while.

It's not good when the chefs or waiting staff do not correctly identify what the contents of the food is or if the food has been contaminated by an allergen. I was wondering if you should report the incident to the Port Health Officer at the ships embarkation port. I would also ask for the details of the member of NCL staff who deals with food safety onboard their ships and report the incident to them.

If you where cruising within the EU the following legislation may be of help to you when talking to NCL.

On 13 December 2014, new legislation (the EU Food Information for Consumers Regulation No. 1169/2011) came into force which requires food businesses to provide allergy information on food sold unpackaged, in for example catering outlets, deli counters, bakeries and sandwich bars. Guidance has been developed to help businesses meet these new requirements and this page will continue to be updated as more support tools are made available:

https://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/allergy-guide#sthash.F3BRPz2i.dpuf

Edited by CruiseMallorca

It's not good when the chefs or waiting staff do not correctly identify what the contents of the food is or if the food has been contaminated by an allergen. I was wondering if you should report the incident to the Port Health Officer at the ships embarkation port. I would also ask for the details of the member of NCL staff who deals with food safety onboard their ships and report the incident to them.

If you where cruising within the EU the following legislation may be of help to you when talking to NCL.

On 13 December 2014, new legislation (the EU Food Information for Consumers Regulation No. 1169/2011) came into force which requires food businesses to provide allergy information on food sold unpackaged, in for example catering outlets, deli counters, bakeries and sandwich bars. Guidance has been developed to help businesses meet these new requirements and this page will continue to be updated as more support tools are made available:

https://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/allergy-guide#sthash.F3BRPz2i.dpuf

Thank you for posting this. Our cruise was from NYC to Bermuda (we live in NYC), but this is excellent information to know for future reference. We do talk about traveling to Europe with our sons when they are older, and I have wondered how food allergies are handled there. Thanks again! :)

Sorry not to be very helpful as my experiences and knowledge relate to cruising in the European Union. I am not sure what the US equivalent is but I am sure if you contact the port health officer in NY they would be able to advise you on local legislation relating to food allergens. I hope you find a cruise line which caters for sons allergy safely without experiencing any further issues.

Sorry not to be very helpful as my experiences and knowledge relate to cruising in the European Union. I am not sure what the US equivalent is but I am sure if you contact the port health officer in NY they would be able to advise you on local legislation relating to food allergens. I hope you find a cruise line which caters for sons allergy safely without experiencing any further issues.

NCL was terrific back in 2011 when we sailed on the Jewel. They handled the food allergies in such an outstanding way, that I had high expectations for this cruise as well.

Two years on Carnival handled the food allergies perfectly as well, with the hostess coming to our table every evening with the menu for the following night, and my son got to order in advance. If he wasn't sure between two items, the server ordered him both just in case. The service was fantastic.

I will do some research and also contact MSC to make sure it is a safe cruise line for us.

Fill out the form and you should within 24-48 hours receive a confirmation email from them stating the following:

We have received your special requirements form advising of allergies to X, X, X, X and X. We are also aware that you will bring an epi-pen. The reservation has been fully noted and ship advised.

Please meet with the maître d upon arrival to ensure your dietary needs.

Best regards,

Yes, I'm allergic to a lot of stuff, which sucks. So the girl eating the plain chicken breast will be me. Lol I'm used to it.

We are considering the Divina to the Caribbean for our next cruise. My son is allergic to shellfish, tree nuts, and peanuts. I am wondering how MSC handles food allergies...what the procedure is, how attentive they are, how seriously they take life threatening allergies, etc. We just got off the Norwegian Breakaway two days ago, and we were very disappointed and stressed with how they handled food allergies. I spoke to Guest Services onboard and also emailed NCL about it. In the last our experience on NCL regarding food allergies was excellent, but this was complete opposite, including a chef telling us certain desserts were safe and then he found out 15 minutes later that they were made with almond flour. Could have been a horror for us if we were already up to desser but thank goodness we weren't.

Anyway, if anyone has food allergy experience on MSC I would appreciate some information!

My dad has a gluten allergy and on our recent cruise with MSC he had his own menu to choose from that catered to his specific requirements inc. fresh baked gluten-free bread and he even had his own waiter that catered to people with food allergies.

From the MSC website's FAQ

Are there special menus for coeliac passengers or for those with food allergies/intolerances?

Guests with food intolerances and/or allergies must inform MSC Cruises of their needs via the Special Needs Form and, once on board, confirm their requirements at Reception and/or with the Maître d’Hôtel. On Mediterranean and Northern European cruises, MSC Splendida, MSC Fantasia, MSC Magnifica, MSC Musica, MSC Orchestra, MSC Poesia and MSC Divina are certified by the Italian Coeliac Association for the preparation and serving of gluten-free meals (MSC Preziosa will start the certification process immediately after its launch; this is expected to take around three months). All ships carry a limited selection of pre-packaged gluten-free products. If informed in advance, on-board staff will also be happy to help guests in choosing their meals to ensure they avoid foods or ingredients which may cause allergic reactions.

• 1 year later...

Just seen this topic and would be grateful for advice as MSC are being difficult to get answers from. Our 11 year old grandson is severely allergic to dairy and we are concerned that his only dessert on board is going to be sorbet. Did MSC provide any alternatives?