Independance Norovirus.

cyukuk

:mad: Passengers are reporting a serious outbreak of Norovius on Independance, anectdotally 400 pax, currently on it's way back into Southampton. Is anyone aware of any facilities for "deep cleaning" of the ship there.

I ask because some years ago we were delayed for 24 hrs from boarding an RCL ship in Miami because the Port had ordered "Deep Cleaning" to help eradicate the dreaded Noro.

Luv

Cy

:)

:mad: Passengers are reporting a serious outbreak of Norovius on Independance, anectdotally 400 pax, currently on it's way back into Southampton. Is anyone aware of any facilities for "deep cleaning" of the ship there.

I ask because some years ago we were delayed for 24 hrs from boarding an RCL ship in Miami because the Port had ordered "Deep Cleaning" to help eradicate the dreaded Noro.

Luv

Cy

:)

There will be late boarding on 24th February as the ship will be deep cleaned.

How late I don't know but trying to find out.

We have been at Southampton waiting to board the Independence when we got told they were going to deep clean the ship. We waited until about 1pm to board, it was a long wait for us because we were there at docks for 9am! But I would rather wait a few extra hours and know that I was going to have a clean ship then get on board and know that I was going to get ill.

All this is over one person who didn't wash their hands after using the toilet and didn't use the hand gels they give you.

After the outbreak we had before our cruise crew members were everywhere with the hand gel waiting to pounce on anyone that walked past to give them a good dollop of hand gel. I carry my own as well so after I have been outside, have been eating, or anywhere that they don't have the hand gel I can use it as well.

CK x

Thank you for that Liz.

Although I have my doubts that it is always the passengers to blame, we have been on a few ships with it and it seems to begin 3 or 4 days into the cruise, incubation time? Of course there is constant movement of crews between ships and one wonders if it isn't transported around the Fleet that way.

Having said all that I am always very impressed with the way the ships handle it, I don't stand still for too long otherwise I get wiped down!

Luv

Cy

x:)

lol,

Good old fashioned hand washing with soap is the best, I will be doing both alot!!

I will also be keeping a close on my kids too!.

I certainly do not want to be ill after spending so much money!!, Fingers crossed!!

I really hope it has not affected too many passengers

Apparently an email has been sent out with regards to the late boarding -

Because of this extra cleaning andsanitising, your boarding will now begin at approximately 3:00 p.m. We apologise for any impact to your boarding process and we thank you for your understanding and patience. Seating in the cruise terminal in Southampton is very limited, so if possible and for your own convenience, please delay your arrival to the port until 2:30 pm at the earliest.

Please note, if you are driving to Southampton and using the Port Parking facilities, the car parks will not be open until 2:30pm and there are no other parking facilities in the port area, so we would advise you not to arrive planning to park your car until after 2:30pm, although you will be able to drop off your luggage from 11:30 via dock gate 8.

We encourage you to use any extra time before returning to check-in to visit the city centre, which is close to the port or local attractions in Southampton, details of which can be found at www.visit-southampton.co.uk.

Guest’s who are being dropped off at the terminal (taxi, friend, relative etc) can also drop off their luggage, but we would please ask that they then try to use the same vehicle to go on to Southampton City Centre before returning after 2:30pm to enter the terminal for check-in.

If you can't get parked before 2-30 I would imagine it's going to be very hectic to say the least as everyone arriving by car will be heading to park at that time , like you I wouldn't want to sit back and chance letting the queues die down as the e mail doesn't state that there is a late departure , surely they can't be aiming to get everyone parked and onboard before 4 pm , I would assume departure will be delayed by several hours but that's something they should have confirmed in the e mail .

If you are on Fly/Cruise on flights into LHR/LGW,& Southampton and are arriving before 12.15pm then you will be picked up at your normal transfer time but you will be diverted to Winchester till 1.45pm. At that time you will then start the journey to the Port and the ship.

If you are booked on Coach via Royal Connections then the pick up time will be delayed. As I understand it RCCL are in the middle of contacting all guests. You can call 0131 226 8511 (Intercruises) if you have any further questions.

Maybe it's the time of year.......we were on the 3rd March sailing to the Canaries on Indy last year and boarding was delayed because they had to do a deep clean. Sadly it didn't work becuase supposedly "hundreds" were affected, it must have been a lot because for the last two days of our cruise the Windjammer was closed and all meals had to be taken in the main dining room, it was a nightmare! It obviously didn't put us off because we were back on Indy in Augusty and all was fine, we're also booked twice for Indy this year. Fingers crossed for those on the next sailing that all goes well.

Gill

Although I have my doubts that it is always the passengers to blame, we have been on a few ships with it and it seems to begin 3 or 4 days into the cruise, incubation time? Of course there is constant movement of crews between ships and one wonders if it isn't transported around the Fleet that way.

I have often wondered about crew transfers and if it would be effective for RCI (or any line) to have a sort of quarantine or "quiet time" between postings. Like a mandatory 3-4 days off and then screen (interview?) for symptom free condition before they board the new ship.

Noro is everywhere. We had an outbreak at a nearby school that had 1/3 of the students (over 200) out and they closed the school for several days to sanitize it - and let any exposed kids get it if they were going to so they could know who had it or not. Recently my wife and I both got it after visiting a nursing home - another typical hot bed of the bug.

Oh gosh, I just read the e-mail from RCL now - we will be sailing on the 24th. At least they are being proactive and hopefully will get it under control with the deep cleaning.

I'd say there is no way it will sail on time - don't RCL have give the passenger list 90mins before departure which will push it back by at least 2 hours I'd be thinking with 4,000 passengers to board?

Peterwizc - hope your parents are ok and didn't get the virus! 1,000 passengers affected is a huge amount!!!!

The facilities crew on Independence do a wonderful job keeping the ship spotless, constantly wiping down stairwell rails, lift buttons etc.

The room stewards wash the hallway rails and walls in between doing their stateroom duties.This is even when there isn't any illness on board ship.

Captain Remo even reminds people in his noon reports to make sure you keep yourself healthy by regularly washing your hands and especially after going to the toilet. What more can they do?

There are already staff in each of the ladies and gents toilets near the Windjammer ensuring guests are washing their hands. One person in a review on another website referred to these crew members as the "**** toilet police " !!!!!

It only takes a few moments to sanitise your hands as you enter the Windjammer and you'd be surprised the people you see who say " oh, I am not eating ,I am looking for...... " . I often go in there looking for my DH and sanitise whether I am eating or not, after all the sanitiser is free and I noticed as well on our B2B in Jan that the crew members thanked me when I used it:)

We have friends on the current sailing , I just sent them an e.mail to get their low down.

Liz, we went to Winchester after our cruise, it is a lovely place with great shopping and bars/restaurants and of course the cathedral. I wouldn't mind another trip there:)

They can deep clean and sanitize until their hands drop off....but on the next sailing, if someone boards with the virus (but no symptoms, as yet!) the whole thing will begin again. That's the thing....you can have it, and be contagious BEFORE you start being actively ill! Tis the season for this nasty bug, and it's rampant in schools right now....a school system a couple counties over from us was shut for 4 days as a great number of kids and teachers were coming down with it....

Such a shame for all those who have come down with that awful noro , I know this is unrelated but I have been following the thread of the Enchantment being delayed , mainly because a fellow Brit was doing a live trip report from it ,anyway they all embarked only to find there was a problem with the propellor resulting in it not leaving the port until the next day , the propellor wasn't fixed but they left port and because of the lack of speed they are only able to do 2 of the 4 port stops ,they were all given OBC of around $300 , once out at sea they encountered some rough weather , they then found out they were all getting a full refund of their cruise ,now I know what cruise I would rather be on , 10days on Indy being holed up in the cabin with noro , or 9 nights on enchantment ,eating , drinking ,being entertained ,only doing 2 of the 4 ports but getting a full refund of my cruise , it's a no brainer really isn't it :D .

I have friends who have worked on Inde for nearly

3 years. Captain Taeo advises the crew every week at the crew meetings in the theatre/ice rink, if you contract noro virus chances are you've been to the toilet not washed your hands and eaten your own or someone elses .... (waste product), wash your hands and use the gels as often as possible.

All 4 of my cruises out of Southampton on Inde have been delayed for noro cleaning. My last cruise boarding was delayed until 2:30 and we were taken to winchester for 5 hours, not much fun when you then try to get on board!

I have friends who have worked on Inde for nearly

3 years. Captain Taeo advises the crew every week at the crew meetings in the theatre/ice rink, if you contract noro virus chances are you've been to the toilet not washed your hands and eaten your own or someone elses .... (waste product), wash your hands and use the gels as often as possible.

All 4 of my cruises out of Southampton on Inde have been delayed for noro cleaning. My last cruise boarding was delayed until 2:30 and we were taken to winchester for 5 hours, not much fun when you then try to get on board!

That sounds like it's rife on Indy , I wonder why one ship would be so prone to it , Liberty and Freedom are the same size and Oasis and Allure have many more passengers and yet you don't hear of noro on them like you do Indy .

lol,

Good old fashioned hand washing with soap is the best, I will be doing both alot!!

I will also be keeping a close on my kids too!.

I certainly do not want to be ill after spending so much money!!, Fingers crossed!!

I really hope it has not affected too many passengers

We had Noro, about 200 passengers, on our Radiance cruise from Hawaii in Sept.

DH and I would wash Very well, with lots of soap for a LONG time. We did not get it and sure did our best to be clean and use towels to open the bathroom door etc. all those things.

I would be washing my hands as others swished with soap and left before I was done. They say sing the song- Happy Birthday to Me, twice- while washing.:)

The crew did a great job cleaning that ship over and over, even after people were better. They did not get off in port or anything, even the entertainment/maintenance people were also cleaning and serving us in the WJ. They really deserve the credit for keeping it at Bay and then ridding the ship of it for the rest of our B2Bs.

It's such a shame that it has happened. People don't realise how bad it can get. It's just by not doing one simple act.

I am always overly cautious on the ship or for that matter when on holiday. I always carry my little bottle of hand sanitiser with me where ever I go. I wash my hands every time sometimes even twice, use the hand gels round the ship and then use my own as well. It smells like lemons and not just of alcohol like the one on the ship.

I think it was 2 years ago that we were delayed boarding because of the virus. They never told us that it was but they gave us a small letter with our daily cruise compass that you get when you check in saying there had been several cases, about 400 I think, and that boarding was going to be delayed by a few hours just so they could clean the ship. Throughout the rest of the cruise there were crew everywhere you went cleaning everything that people touched! Even in the lifts they were cleaning the rails, buttons, doors....but yet they all had a smile on their face and were willing to have a laugh with you. We heard a rumour that on that sailing 40 people had come down with it and were confined to either the ships medical facilities or their cabins. Mostly it was children (or so the rumour went) which wouldn't surprise me as I have seen countless times children going to the toilet and then leaving without washing their hands! :eek:

CK x

Archived