How long willl it take to get through immigration at Miami Airport

Bigdasher

and my next question is...

Arriving at Miami at about 18.00 on a Friday ,and have am booking a car to take us down to Sawgrass prior to the sailing on Sunday morning.

Having had a horrible 90 minute wait - immigration there couldn't organise a pi$$ up in a brewery- at San Francisco last year, I don't know what time to tell the taxi man to pick us up.

Anyone?

TIA,

D

Hi,

The short answer is it depends on how many flights have arrived and how many staff they have working, so it is very difficult to give any idea on how long it will take.

I have heard of something called "Global Entry" or something like that, it may be worth doing some research into it. The only thing I know about it is from a short video they showed on a flight to the states last October.

Pete

and my next question is...

Arriving at Miami at about 18.00 on a Friday ,and have am booking a car to take us down to Sawgrass prior to the sailing on Sunday morning.

Having had a horrible 90 minute wait - immigration there couldn't organise a pi$$ up in a brewery- at San Francisco last year, I don't know what time to tell the taxi man to pick us up.

Anyone?

TIA,

D

Hello,

I'm an American & am happy to help.

I would time it according to your San Francisco experience, I'm sorry to say.

As far as Global Entry is concerned, it is available to UK citizens as well.

I have it & it is worth every penny.

They do a thorough background check including fingerprinting before issuing the Global Entry card.

With it, I'm able to get through US Immigration in less than an hour. This includes Miami, which my most recent entry was in September.

I recommend no less than an hour for your transportation arrangement.

Here is the link below. Hope this helps.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/eligibility

Edited by rumpelstiltskin

Hiya,

I passed through MIA in October on our way to Carnival cruise and had no wait in immigration at all.. most time was spent waiting for our cases.

I did however use the automated ESTA machines (which I had used in Boston earlier last year) and was waved thru gates with no input/questioning from staff. It did however cost me dearly at the cruise terminal as I had no stamp/record from immigration and Carnival check in staff had to get their supervisor to check the validity of my ESTA before getting me onboard.

That was just a 15min delay at port, compared to your 90min delay in immigration. And as for shopping, we found the Dolphin Mall (just few miles from the AP - in fact there is a mall shuttle bus you can get from MIA AP) more than adequate for two days of post cruise shopping.

My friend had wanted to go to Sawgrass but due to timing hesistantly agreed to give it a miss (though we could've gotten a coach from town) but in the end she too thought Dolphin Mall was quite enough.

rgds,

Ms Poppadom in Glasgow

Thank you Rumps and Popps. I looked at GOES, but it involves an interview and as we are leaving next Friday, it would be cutting it fine.

Popps, I didn't know about the automated machines. I have allowed 90 mins now with the taxi man to get through. It will be sods law that we are just waived through, and that being the case I ( we) will have a coffee, and my daughter her much longed for Cinnabon ( hope they have an outlet in the airport).

The Dolphin Mall. I am not a lover of these supermall, so something smaller would have been fine for me, but the hotel in Sawgrass is booked. Next year we cruise from Fort Lauderdale again, and most likely will do the Miami flight again and I can go there then.

I spent most of yesterday doing the ( insert expletive) ESTA forms ( there are four of us) and then the RCL online booking. Have to wait 3 days for the US authorities to tell us that we pose no danger. I am just thankful I did it yesterday, I had no idea that it is hoop jumping. I thought that you filled your form, pay your money and get the OK. And in two years I get to do it all over again.

2 years ago, we were flying to San Francisco, and I wasn't aware that the card you filled in on the plane business had stopped and the ESTA had started. Ended up stuck in Frankfurt Airport and paying a fortune for it to be expedited at a desk the US Government rep has there. Good job I have low blood pressure. Catching the connecting flight was literally skin of my teeth.

Best get some precrusie cleaning done. Blue skies and snow in Aberdeen, but my lum is reeking so I'm a happy quine!

Mrs D

Edited by Bigdasher

Why do you have to wait 3 days for your ESTA clearance.? Just applied for a new one for the third time and each time it has been granted immediately. Please tell me you did not use of one of the websites who supposedly expedite your application. The US gov official website cost is $13 per ESTA.

I used the official website (esta.cbp.dhs.gov, and paid $14 for each of us - ot was a group application. But the good news is that I just checked ( panic!) and we are all approved. Another thing off the tick list, but been reading a airport review site and seriously thinking now that 90mins may not be enough time to do the immigration thing, get bags and meet taxi man on time. Miami airport sounds totally chaotic. Any tips to get through faster appreciated. Nose bleed?, fainting?....

Mrs D

Okay this might not be what you want to hear but Miami airport can be a nightmare. We have landed here numerous times always in January and usually on a Thursday or Friday early evening. For starters it is a long walk from the plane to immigration. It has always taken at least an hour to get through immigration, and by then the suitcases are all off the conveyor belt and piled up. Then you have to queue for customs and everyone has to hand in their customs form , no walking straight through as in UK airports. Our worst experience there was 2 hours to get through from landing ! With regard to pick up most companies will have some waiting time allowed. One tip I would pass on is to do your return check in online on your ship as the queues are usually much shorter for the bag drop than for check in desks. If you have a lot of time to kill in the airport the hotel in the terminal is a good bet for a day room and not expensive. Better than sitting around as it is not a particularly nice airport. I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise. Just accept the delay and relax !

Miami airport sounds totally chaotic.

It is.

Any tips to get through faster appreciated. Nose bleed?, fainting?....

No, don't faint, etc...it won't help!

I don't have advice to expedite your immigration, only how not to add to any delay.

These bureaucrats do not care that you would like to get through as quickly as possible.

In fact, if they sense any frustration on your part, it will just make their day by adding to your woes. They know that you have no recourse that could cost them their jobs.

Therefore, everyone in your party should keep a calm, neutral attitude. Answer questions with short answers & as few details as possible, etc.

I'm sorry that the GOES info did not work for you. Yes, there is an interview involved & it takes a couple weeks at least for them to conduct the background search.

It is also expensive. Mine cost $100 for five years, but that was back when they first offered it.

I checked the Miami Airport website for Cinnabon. I'm sorry, but it is not listed among the food outlet options.

Have a safe flight, & Bon Voyage!

... Edited by rumpelstiltskin

Sorry but there is no real answer to your question, we fly in twice a year usually Nov and Jan/Feb.

We are just back from our 14 day Emerald cruise, this time we took a later (for us) flight arriving MIA at 18:30 we flew through security but the baggage hall was a nightmare, with internal flights coming in, our usual flight arrives at 14:15 just as a flight from Mexico comes in niiiiiiiiigntttttttt mare :eek: we have waited over 2 hours as they take longer to process the Mexican flight but arriving around 18:00 fingers crossed you should be through in less than 60 from leaving the plane to walking out to your cab

Have a good cruise

I don't remember seeing Cinnabon at the AP either, am afraid.

As for time to clear, we arrived on a Tue afternoon and were out well within the 90 min timescale you're given yourself - but like I said, not everyone was spoken to by staff (only if you queued the old fashioned way and didn't use the terminals...same at BOS and MIA last year)

Here's a video of the automated immigration passport check we used in Oct and bypassed queues :) (video not from MIA but same terminals)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4CUs1PEZ00

I'll post what happens in a couple of weeks. Now MrsPoppadom, having looked that the Dolphin Mall, there appears to be a very good fishing shop on site. So for the last night of our stay we are staying nearer the airport, so that "him indoors" can visit me....

I'll post what happens in a couple of weeks.

Please do. I hope you have a hassle free journey.

I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing my own country, but I do question many of our govt policies.

IMO, ESTA appears to be a means to generate revenue disguised as a national security measure.

Without getting political, I'm referring to our out of control border situation which IS a national security issue.

The people who submit ESTA are people who do not intend to harm us.

Also, good luck with the TSA when you return...they are a big pain in the bummy, too.

• 2 weeks later...

We flew into Miami in September last year and also the year before. On both occasions we had no significant delay clearing immigration but the walk from the gate took ages.

There is a site listing wait times but these are obviously dependant on how many planes land at a particular time so I don't see how they can predict a specific experience. We haven't flown out of Miami as we usually drive up to Orlando post - cruise so we can fly directly to Manchester.

http://awt.cbp.gov