CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

This thread is a wealth of information! Thank you so much! I have a question that you hopefully can give me some advice on...

I'm in the process of choosing a cruise and part of that process is comparing costs of flying/driving/parking for each option. Our #1 choice right now is the Sunshine out of NYC in June 2017. My husband and I have sailed out of NYC before with 2 other couples (no kids) and we drove down the day of the cruise in one minivan and split the cost of the expensive parking. This time, it will be just us and our young adult children plus our son's girlfriend. So, 6 of us. Our car only seats 5. We plan on driving down the day of unless we can find a cost effective way to come down the night before (if that's a better option).

So, it won't work to drive down in 2 cars because that's SO much money to park! We have family right outside of Hartford, CT where we could either stay the night before or we could catch a bus or train from Hartford? If we take a bus or train in, where does that leave us? How do we get to the port from there? What about on the way back? Is it easy to get back to that bus or train location?

What is our best option do you think?

Have you priced one way minivan rentals for going down and coming back? There are a number of national rental car agencies relatively close to the pier on the west side of Manhattan. Where exactly are you coming from in NH?

That's an option I didn't look into. I'll have to check it out. And How would we get to the port from the rental car location? Taxi maybe?

We're coming from central NH. We have an Enterprise about 20 min away, but all other companies are at the Manchester airport which is about an hour and a half away.

Edited by beckzay

That's an option I didn't look into. I'll have to check it out. And How would we get to the port from the rental car location? Taxi maybe?

We're coming from central NH. We have an Enterprise about 20 min away, but all other companies are at the Manchester airport which is about an hour and a half away.

Well I'm in northern Mass near route 3, which is a solid 45 minutes from Manchester and 4 hours from NYC, so that puts you at least 6.25 hours from the Manhattan Cruiseport. IMO that's too tight to drive the morning of the cruise.

Would it be possible to stay overnight at your family in Hartford, leave your cars with them for the week, and rent a car at Bradley Airport?

Another option would be to drive down to Manchester Airport in two cars, rent a minivan, and drive down route 93 to Exit 2 in Salem, NH, where there is a park/ride with free long term parking to ditch the two extra cars. I have used this lot before. There are also other lots with long term parking in Nashua and Tyngboro off of route 3. You could still stay with family in Hartford or find an inexpensive hotel 1-2 hours out of NYC.

In NYC I was thinking you would approach the port via the Henry Hudson Parkway, drop folks and luggage at the pier, and 1-2 people would return the car and either walk or cab back to the pier.

Edited by 138east

Thank you! I never even thought about renting a mini van :) That seems like it would be the least expensive and easiest option.

It should work for you. Just keep in mind that although Enterprise is only 20 minutes from where you live, it is inconveniently located at 48th & 5th in the heart of Manhattan whereas the other national car rentals offer locations on the far west side in the 40's with easier access to the port. Do some research and post back - perhaps others will post suggestions in the meanwhile.

Does the hotel shuttle to Jersey gardens only run during certain hours? If so do you know the times?

Also did you book the hotels return shuttle from pier to airport? If so did they say if you went pier to airport or pier to hotel then to the airport? And if you did book how are you to find the shuttle after disembarking?

Please do let us know how the shuttle works and what your thoughts are on it as well as the rest of the hotel stay and breakfast...

Bon Voyage and have a great trip!

I'm back after an adventurous few days on the Anthem!

I posted a few pages back about my experiences with the Country Inn (getting there from EWR, check-in, and booking the cruise shuttle) so I just wanted to share the rest of my experience!

The room was relatively quiet overnight but I could hear sporadic airplane noise and hallway noise (luggage banging in the early morning). Overall though, not bad!

Breakfast consisted of a make-your-own breakfast burrito station (scrambled eggs, chopped up bacon, cheese, and tortillas), a make-your-own waffle station (with pre-filled cups of batter - very easy) and strawberry compote and whipped cream, cold cereals, oatmeal, toast, some small mini donuts and baked stuff (store-bought), coffee, tea, and juice. I had a waffle and it was quite good!

Checkout took all of 2 seconds! Handed them the key and was on my way. The 10am cruise shuttle arrived at 9:50, loaded up (and I mean loaded... Packed!), and we were on the road at 10am sharp. It took 25 minutes to get to the port, but there was a huge line of cars to get in so we waited for about 10 minutes in the van while admiring the ship.

So pre-cruise stay and transportation was a success! I did fill out the hotel's survey and commented on the 45 minute wait for the airport shuttle at EWR, and the lack of courtesy phone for their hotel. I got a generic response addressed to me personally that they are working to improve these issues... Hope they are! But overall, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again! :)

In terms of getting from Cape Liberty to the airport post-cruise... My experience was extremely atypical due to the early arrival of the Anthem back to port, and the fact we could either disembark at night or the following morning. I opted to stay overnight as my flight wasn't until that following day. They had free shuttle buses to EWR for us due to the circumstances affecting the cruise. Very easy to find. Waited for 25 minutes for it to fill up though. The port staff apologized for the week we had and encouraged us to "look after the driver". Unfortunately he didn't do much to deserve any looking-after! We got to the airport and he got off the bus with no announcement of what terminal it was or which airlines we would find there. Then he opened the luggage compartments and just stood there watching everyone (myself included) struggle to get our bags out.

Once again, this was NOT typical and he was likely bitter because he was probably supposed to be off that day since it wasn't a scheduled port day!

Big advantage for the car service: Not only is it a bit cheaper, but it's your private car, ready to leave when you're ready. You have to wait until the shared shuttle van fills before it leaves for the airport, and you get to ride shoulder-to-shoulder with a lot of people you don't know.

The toll for this trip is very minimal...$1.65.

Do you have a preferred car service from Newark hotels to the port?

Hello

We are driving down from Ontario, 2 families cruising together but driving separately from different areas of Ontario. We are investigating leaving 1 vehicle at a park and cruise hotel then all driving together and parking the second vehicle at the port.

We cannot take a shuttle to the port because we are travelling with my two special needs children and being in a shuttle would mean meltdowns. They would be able to handle walking from the parking garage to the terminal but not waiting for a shuttle and being crowded in with other passengers.

We are thinking of Ramada Plaza Newark or the Wyndham Newark Bayonne. Can you offer any insight into either of these hotels and the security of their parking?

Thanks so much!

Hello

We are driving down from Ontario, 2 families cruising together but driving separately from different areas of Ontario. We are investigating leaving 1 vehicle at a park and cruise hotel then all driving together and parking the second vehicle at the port.

We cannot take a shuttle to the port because we are travelling with my two special needs children and being in a shuttle would mean meltdowns. They would be able to handle walking from the parking garage to the terminal but not waiting for a shuttle and being crowded in with other passengers.

We are thinking of Ramada Plaza Newark or the Wyndham Newark Bayonne. Can you offer any insight into either of these hotels and the security of their parking?

Thanks so much!

Trinityreservations.com - $157 tax included w/14 days parking. If desired, Round trip shuttle would be available for other family at $202 tax included.

Very popular package with cruisers. There have been no reported security issues with parking. Parking is gated and hotel is active 7x24.

Hi, I have a question about parking at Cape Liberty, is it like Baltimore where you park outside right next to the terminal or do we use the premier parking garage down the road at get shuttled over?

Thanks

As of Jan 2016 there is a garage next to the terminal. Park in garage and take a elevator to the ground floor and walk to the terminal. This is after you drop off all your checked luggage. $20 / day to park.

Just a FYI. I have read there is parking off site. I do not have any experience using this. I understand it may be a little cheaper.

It appears that the offsite parking is no longer available. I tried a mock booking for some March dates through both "aliases" of the company and got a message it was not available to be booked. Not that surprising - there were posts on the Florida Board that the company had gone out of business.

Hopefully, they will not resurrect themselves under another name. There were serious concerns about lack of insurance coverage and intermittent reports from cruisers about issues with the shuttle operation. Bayonne is a highly urban industrialized area where you don't want to just abandon your car at a sketchy parking operation and essentially hitch a ride to the port with a driver who is uninsured and unlicensed to run a "shuttle" operation.

It appears that the offsite parking is no longer available. I tried a mock booking for some March dates through both "aliases" of the company and got a message it was not available to be booked. Not that surprising - there were posts on the Florida Board that the company had gone out of business.

Hopefully, they will not resurrect themselves under another name. There were serious concerns about lack of insurance coverage and intermittent reports from cruisers about issues with the shuttle operation. Bayonne is a highly urban industrialized area where you don't want to just abandon your car at a sketchy parking operation and essentially hitch a ride to the port with a driver who is uninsured and unlicensed to run a "shuttle" operation.

That's is interesting. I wonder on average how many cars used that facility?

We never parked there. Now will this make the garage at Cape Liberty the only viable option for parking?

I guess I will make sure we get there early to get a spot.

That's is interesting. I wonder on average how many cars used that facility?

We never parked there. Now will this make the garage at Cape Liberty the only viable option for parking?

I guess I will make sure we get there early to get a spot.

I'm sailing on the Anthem CTN on March 4 and I will be driving. I'm assuming there will still be outside overflow parking at Cape Liberty, but I will ask. I could see the garage filling up when both Anthem and Summit are sailing. The parking could also be tight for the CTN since many folks will be local and it's only $60 to park. There is plenty of outside space at CL to put cars.

Just booked our flight home. We are on Summit 8/14/16-8/21/16 we booked flight for 12:15pm on the 21st...ship is in at 7 or 7:30...this should be doable right?

That should be fine if you're flying from Newark. Sunday is the lightest traffic day of the week.

I'm sailing on the Anthem CTN on March 4 and I will be driving. I'm assuming there will still be outside overflow parking at Cape Liberty, but I will ask. I could see the garage filling up when both Anthem and Summit are sailing. The parking could also be tight for the CTN since many folks will be local and it's only $60 to park. There is plenty of outside space at CL to put cars.

I don't mind parking outside as obviously we've been doing it since the terminal opened. BUT I hate the fact that I will now have to pay $20 to do it.

I will be getting on Anthem as you get off so I will be praying for great weather and no traffic on Monday, March 7th.

Oh please make sure you all get off the ship early as I will want to get on as soon as possible - :D

That should be fine if you're flying from Newark. Sunday is the lightest traffic day of the week.

Carol yes sorry forgot to mention that we are flying out of EWR. I have seen and read lots of talk on car service vs shuttle. We are 2 of us hoping to not spend an arm and a leg on transport...what would you recommend, taxi, shuttle at pier or car service?

Carol yes sorry forgot to mention that we are flying out of EWR. I have seen and read lots of talk on car service vs shuttle. We are 2 of us hoping to not spend an arm and a leg on transport...what would you recommend, taxi, shuttle at pier or car service?

I'd probably get myself off the ship and do the shared shuttle for $28.50/pp.

I'd probably get myself off the ship and do the shared shuttle for $28.50/pp.

Great thanks..now by get myself off do you mean do self disembarkation? As I have issues carrying heavy items and DH wouldn't be able to handle it all on his own...think we can still manage the flight and the shared shuttle if we do the normal disembarkation and pick up the luggage that the ship offloads? Also is it easy to see where to get the shared shuttles? Where, when and how do we pay for the shuttle..ie a kiosk, on bus, cash or credit card? So I can make sure I have what is needed handy.

Edited by cruzrbachoua