Thomson Dream - food, entertainment

Hey strangers!

I hope you're all keeping well. It's been a while (4 Jan 2014 since I logged in I'm informed!).

I've been on 2 cruises, both Thomson Dream. First time August 2011, second time June 2012. Went off it the second time as there was a marked drop in quality. One of the main things for us was the food quality and time it took to get served. Drastically worse from 10 months earlier.

We're now considering a cruise again, and I'm wondering if anyone whose been on the Dream a few times over the years can comment on their view on the trend.

Obviously it's just an indicator, as we anticipate cruising again in 2016. As such the game can change again. But I'd really value your thoughts. Right now we're also looking at NCL and RC, but we do really like the entertainment on the Dream. How's this holding up nowadays?

Many thanks in advance!

Hey strangers!

I hope you're all keeping well. It's been a while (4 Jan 2014 since I logged in I'm informed!).

I've been on 2 cruises, both Thomson Dream. First time August 2011, second time June 2012. Went off it the second time as there was a marked drop in quality. One of the main things for us was the food quality and time it took to get served. Drastically worse from 10 months earlier.

We're now considering a cruise again, and I'm wondering if anyone whose been on the Dream a few times over the years can comment on their view on the trend.

Obviously it's just an indicator, as we anticipate cruising again in 2016. As such the game can change again. But I'd really value your thoughts. Right now we're also looking at NCL and RC, but we do really like the entertainment on the Dream. How's this holding up nowadays?

Many thanks in advance!

We first sailed on the Dream in May 2012 when we thought the food was superb. Returned in October 2013 when there was a definitely drop in food quality. Sailed on Majesty April 2014 where the food was far superior and so much better than on Dream so were a little worried about what the expect when we were next on the Dream in November 2014. Needn't have worried as the quality had gone right back up again. Went on the Dream again in June/July this year and the food was very good - back to May 2012 standard in our opinion. Did note that one course seemed to have been dropped off the MDR menu (now soup OR salad rather than both) but this didn't bother us as we only have 3 courses anyway. Did think breakfast options had shrunk (no Smoked Salmon or Egg Benedict everyday) but have since been told that these are still available if you ask.

Entertainment has always been first class but I do wish they would introduce some new shows as, much as we enjoy them, we have seen all the current productions several times.

Shows on Spirit from 7.9.15 were:

Piano Men -- Concerto goes pop to the westend --- Songs that made a movie --- Andre, magic and comedy --- Kipps --- Dance dance dance --- Westend wonders ---- Piano Men --- At the Copa --- Concerto Broadway --- Phil Doyle comedy --- Lots of Love --- Carwash --- Westend Wonders.

We had seen a few of them before too.

Hey strangers!

Many thanks in advance!

We were on her in 2013 we had a fantastic time. Food was great, could not fault it at all and the entertainments were some of the best. We are sailing on her again in 2016 and are looking forward to it.

We sailed Jan/Feb and April/May this year almost five weeks in all and the food has greatly improved and was very good -especially the bacon where you have a choice of crispy and normal - unlike the Celebration last week was soggy and insipid looking. We have sailed on Dream since 2010 and the food quality made us miss 2013 but a new catering firm now provide great food - even the desserts have improved.

The shows are still good but they seem to be dropping musical style shows these days so the cast very rarely speak. Have now seen all the bands on every ship and they are all exceptional and so are the duos. The best comedian imo is Carl Schofield who has been on the Dream 3 times when we've been on and was on the Celebration last week. My sister is on the Spirit this week going to Israel and he's on there this week.

I would love to see a tribute act on the ships for a change as there were some really good ones on Ocean Village - Tina Turner, Freddy Mercury, Neil Diamond and Rod Stewart (not that good).

Also on was a brilliant magician/comedian from London who played a Cuban called Manuel Martinez - also did a magic class free of charge.

Yes defender the food quality on the Dream is a downward spiral, the food in the buffet was dire in April , like a works canteen. We have just been on the P&O Britainnia the food and ship, entertainment was superb and cheaper than thomson in a balcony cabin

Yes defender the food quality on the Dream is a downward spiral, the food in the buffet was dire in April , like a works canteen. We have just been on the P&O Britainnia the food and ship, entertainment was superb and cheaper than thomson in a balcony

Had several cruises on the Dream the food has always been very good. Just off a two week cruise and the standard in the restaurant was really dire just three decent evening meals in two weeks, awful presentation, cold, service slow no choice have better food in our local pub. Speciality restaurant may be al a carte but why have to pay extra to get a decent meal, ok for a special

occasion, I cannot believe that it was the same Ex Chef on board as in our February cruise where we had no complaints. Shall think twice about cruising on the Dream

My opinion is that everyone has different perceptions and expectations we were on Dream in May and Celebration in September and had no problems with the quality or presentation, we always eat in the main restraunt, in fact we personally haven't noticed any deteriation in all the years we have been cruising but we do choose food that we know we will enjoy. I fully understand that someone will come back and say that our expectations are low but we do like good well presented food just our opinion😕😕

My opinion is that everyone has different perceptions and expectations we were on Dream in May and Celebration in September and had no problems with the quality or presentation, we always eat in the main restraunt, in fact we personally haven't noticed any deteriation in all the years we have been cruising but we do choose food that we know we will enjoy. I fully understand that someone will come back and say that our expectations are low but we do like good well presented food just our opinion[emoji53][emoji53]

I agree pensioncruiser imo I have very high standards but have never been disappointed with the quality of the food. Okay it's not fine dining but we are not paying fine dining prices - you only get what you pay for [emoji15]

Okay it's not fine dining but we are not paying fine dining prices - you only get what you pay for [emoji15]

Couldn't agree more. For what we pay we consider the food very acceptable. On our last Thomson cruise in July we thought the quality had actually improved - tasty and well presented and always something on the menu that suited us; we are definitely expecting to enjoy it again this month.

Edited by campolady

Couldn't agree more. For what we pay we consider the food very acceptable. On our last Thomson cruise in July we thought the quality had actually improved - tasty and well presented and always something on the menu that suited us; we are definitely expecting to enjoy it again this month.

When and where campolady?

Hey guys

Thanks for the replies. Really helpful.

I could be paranoid but just for the avoidance of doubt my post wasn't meant as a negative. I'm trying to ensure I don't discount Thomson in the future just because my second experience wasn't as good as the first.

With the food the first time was incredible tasty food, plenty of meat, efficient service. The second time the food tasted bland (eg no matter what flavour the soup was supposed to be it tasted the same). Was also a struggle to find meat on the menu, whereas 10 months earlier it was mixed grills etc on offer. Funnily enough I received a link to a review this morning which while not on all 4's kinda echoes with me (just realised its another website so better not put the link up but it's about being hungry after a 5 course meal).

Entertainment had no complaints at all. One of the highlights of the holiday was the hour in the Broadway at night as our hobby is local theatre with trips to London where we catch a West End show 4 nights on the trot. Also loved the guest comedians, especially Paul Eastwood. Was just wanting to verify everything is still first class in this area, which it seems to be.

In regards to getting what you pay for the last time I paid more for a fortnight on the med than I would have done booking any other mainstream line (NCL, PO, RCI) and even spotted cheaper Cunard. But it's not about the money if you're getting the sad standard you got 10 months earlier.

I think in hindsight in August 2011 Thomson had capped capacity and had plentiful staff and dining budgets. All in order to build a strong rep for Dream following the nightmare start involving legal disputes. Fast forward to June and they're now getting rave reviews and have lifted the capped capacity and reduced staff and budgets. That's how it felt to me.

Talking of food standards on the Dream we did have enough negatives to make comments about the food standards and while you may get what you pay for is not the right attitude.Thomson does not promote its cruises as

low priced in fact all the cruise companies have offers on, and from what I

hear from other cruisers the standard has dropped on many ships ie having to pay extra to get a steak for example. This has been the case since speciality

restaurants were added on the ships. we have cruised on the Dream many times and Thomsons other ships and this was the worst food experience ever in the restaurant many other passengers made the same comments but

maybe they do not wish to say publically, so the question is do we try again

or go with another company, have to think about it, as the rest of the travel with Thomsons to and from their ships works well.