Bread Pudding on the M-Class?

jlivings

I was on the Summit end of August. The Aqua Cafe had bread pudding (light and fluffy) with poached peaches on the plate. It was a great bread pudding, although plain. I like mine with nuts, raisin, and fruit in the bread pudding.

I also had bread pudding in Qsine. It was awfu. Hard and chewy.

I don't recall and bread pudding being on the menu in Blu.

Agree on the peach bread pudding! I'm pretty sure I also found some kind of bread pudding most days in the buffet in the afternoon. I'm hoping it was the Summit and not just S class as I'll be back on the Summit in November.

Agree on the peach bread pudding! I'm pretty sure I also found some kind of bread pudding most days in the buffet in the afternoon. I'm hoping it was the Summit and not just S class as I'll be back on the Summit in November.

The bread pudding is offered in the Oceanview at lunchtime (definitely on Connie), together with some warmish custard.

I've been on both M class and S class ships, and I have only been on one cruise where the bread pudding was missing. And we complained to the chef. The good bread pudding is the one that is in a large chafing dish in the buffet. Some places serve the individual baking dishes, but these are not nearly as good.

Carolyn

My take on the reason why bread pudding is on the menu most days is it is a free dessert option as the mountains of bread used at lunchtimes has to be used up somehow. Occassionally we found a chocolate version as well

Yes, this is my theory also (although my revelation was in re: NCL's buffet bread pudding station, which is fantastic). I also wonder if they use it as a way to make use of overripe fruit.

I don't know/remember if it's the same on X, but on NCL GA the bread pudding station is smack between the vat of hot caramel and the freezer of hand-scooped ice cream. Deadly.

The bread pudding is offered in the Oceanview at lunchtime (definitely on Connie), together with some warmish custard.

As you are from the UK, may I ask if this is truly "Bread Pudding"? All I have every found on a Celebrity ship has been "Bread and Butter Pudding" - a very different beast.

Edited by Project_gal

As you are from the UK, may I ask if this is truly "Bread Pudding"? All I have every found on a Celebrity ship has been "Bread and Butter Pudding" - a very different beast.

I have no idea what bread and butter pudding means.. Maybe I need to try a UK version to see what the difference it. Heading to Google now. In Canada we don't have 'butter ' in ours. Of course no dessert is ever as good as we make at home or our mommas made

There is bread pudding almost everyday at the buffet with slight variations in the bread used and sometimes fruit added

Personally, and not being a baker by any stretch of the imagination (even though I religiously watch the GBBO) :D, I think it's more like bread pudding as it's dense and stodgy as opposed to bread and butter that generally keeps the slice shaping, and also tends to be lighter. X's offering is similar to the first picture below. On a side note, the custard is never hot (barely warm) and is nothing like the traditional sauce we would serve with hot desserts - only my opinion of course ;).

Bread Pudding:

3f8c21ea-461b-4c53-931e-628c08082a9d_zpssmyscpm6.jpg

Bread & Butter Pudding:

image.jpg1_zpsf5y8h5un.jpg

Edited by villauk

Personally, and not being a baker by any stretch of the imagination (even though I religiously watch the GBBO) :D, I think it's more like bread pudding as it's dense and stodgy as opposed to bread and butter that generally keeps the slice shaping, and also tends to be lighter. X's offering is similar to the first picture below. On a side note, the custard is never hot (barely warm) and is nothing like the traditional sauce we would serve with hot desserts - only my opinion of course ;).

Bread Pudding:

3f8c21ea-461b-4c53-931e-628c08082a9d_zpssmyscpm6.jpg

Bread & Butter Pudding:

image.jpg1_zpsf5y8h5un.jpg

Just confirmed with my other half. Both photos are of what we would call Bread and Butter Pudding. The Bread Pudding my mother makes (and you can occasionally buy) is darker and more dense.

Just confirmed with my other half. Both photos are of what we would call Bread and Butter Pudding. The Bread Pudding my mother makes (and you can occasionally buy) is darker and more dense.

My mom's is too; she likes the burnt bit on the top ;).

I'll be on Summit in October and I will choose bread pudding over any cake, pie or ice-cream on the planet!! I'll let you know late in Oct. :D

Both of these look delish...when I make it I'm using buttered left over bread, covered with egg custard, nutmeg and baked till a knife comes out clean....just like my Mother taught me.Yummy.

Both of these look delish...when I make it I'm using buttered left over bread, covered with egg custard, nutmeg and baked till a knife comes out clean....just like my Mother taught me.Yummy.

Yep, that's Bread & Butter Pudding. No egg custard (or butter) in Bread Pudding. Spices are a must, however.

Yep, that's Bread & Butter Pudding. No egg custard (or butter) in Bread Pudding. Spices are a must, however.

No egg custard in your bread & butter pudding...but there is an egg and cream custard in mine! :D I have had B&B pudding in London and it's very tasty but a bit drier than what I'm used to. But let's be honest here....it's ALL delicious.:D

No egg custard in your bread & butter pudding...but there is an egg and cream custard in mine! :D I have had B&B pudding in London and it's very tasty but a bit drier than what I'm used to. But let's be honest here....it's ALL delicious.:D

No, I said no egg custard in Bread Pudding. As I said early, it is a very different beast to Bread & Butter Pudding. You are extremely unlikely to find Bread Pudding on a menu in England (at least at any restaurant I have ever been to) and, if you do, it is very probably Bread & Butter Pudding.

Edited by Project_gal