Celebrity 'Grand Bangkok' overnight

nijh

Has anyone has done this excursion?

Celebrity site says "must be able to walk approx 1 mile.......with 50+ steps". My DM wants to go on this trip but does find a lot of walking too much, especially in heat. I was wondering if she would be able to sit some aspects out and stay on the bus. She doesn't mind missing things, so long as she can experience Bangkok.

So - I was wondering if the 1 mile / 50 steps is something you need to do to get from A to B or if it relates to guided tours around the Grand Palace (for example)?

Yeah - I know I can do it cheaper than Celebrity, but sometimes ease wins over cost!

This is a bus tour that will indeed take you to the Royal Palace and Most probably, if my memory serves, Wat Po as well. They are right around the corner from each other. Wat Po has places to sit and shade in some areas.....The Royal Palace these days is overrun with Mainland Chinese Tourists following their umbrellas through the Palace....so there is much more hustle and bustle in the walking then their was 3+years ago.

I have no doubt you will also end up at the Largest Tourist jewelry shop in Bangkok, Gems Gallery. You will also visit a floating market which does not involve so much walking. The hotels they use are all lovely. The only thing I think she may have a problem with is walking around the Grand Palace.

I would see if they can keep the bus nearby for her so she may go out of the heat as she wishes.

Enjoy, Thailand is magical.

Although I have not been on this tour specifically I have visited the Grand Palace and Wat Po several times as an independent traveller. There is a museum which is air conditioned near the entrance to the Grand Palace. A tour book I once read suggested keeping this for the end of the walk, only because of the air conditioning. There was a covered but not air conditioned cafe where you could also stop for a drink at the far end of the complex. I highly recommend the chilled coconuts.

Wat Po reclining buddha is covered and the emerald buddha room is pleasant.

Why not take your own sunshade/umbrella? If you can find one of those silvered on the underneath, they can be very effective.

I do hope you can all take this tour as it is wonderful. If you can eat off the streets do that too! It is a very clean country and we have never had any problems.

PS Do not wear shorts or culottes to the Grand Palace as you will be considered disrespectful and handed a very heavy sarong to wear, as I found to my cost. Trousers are fine as is a skirt. And shorts applies to men too!

the emerald buddha room is pleasant.

If you can eat off the streets do that too! It is a very clean country and we have never had any problems.

PS Do not wear shorts or culottes to the Grand Palace as you will be considered disrespectful and handed a very heavy sarong to wear, as I found to my cost. Trousers are fine as is a skirt. And shorts applies to men too!

I've spent years in Thailand. A few clarifications might be helpful to some:

1. Temple of the Emerald Buddha is the most sacred Buddhist temple in Thailand. The phra ubosot which houses the Emerald Buddha provides shade (assuming that is what "pleasant" is referring to); however, Thailand has three seasons: hot, hotter, and hottest.

2. "Thailand not clean," to quote a Thai man after an emergency run to the toilet. Thailand is not clean, let alone very clean. Recommending the eating of street food is the worst advice I've yet to read on Cruise Critic. Bad ice is the most dangerous. Picture a mangy dog drinking from the "final rinse" bucket at a street side stall to understand the reality! :eek:

3. Exposed shoulders are also considered rude at temples. No tank tops, etc.

We have visited Thailand on a number of visits, none of which have been related to cruising. On our first visit, over 20 years ago, my husband chose to eat clams in the centre of Bangkok. They had been resting on ice, and each clam was inspected prior to cooking. I was very nervous.Yet they were some of the best food we have ever eaten. And without any ill effects. We have never had any problem with street food.

A change in diet or an increase in the amount of chilli can make a a run to the loo more likely. As for food poisoning, you are more likely to pick up some bug eating from a buffet at a hotel than from eating on the streets in Thailand.

Enjoy!

If you are going to Bangkok on a cruise, don't try to do the one day tours....go overnight. I'd recommend getting a private car/driver to take you to the city...and staying in a hotel you pick...along the water....let the guide show you around both days and drive you back to the ship....That's what we did did in Vietnam. Cost was surprisingly not much more than Celebrity wanted to charge....and we stayed at 5 star hotels.

We did Bangkok on our own (no cruise involved)...and I disagree with a previous poster...Bangkok only has two seasons.....unbearably hot and seiously unbearably hot. It is the only place I've ever visited where on exiting a WAT (temple) I bought a cold water and sat on the nearest bench. I refused to get up until the next bench emptied because that was about as far as I thought I could walk. We were there in the "cool" season....ha!

It is a wonderful city...floating market, night market, incredible women (just for looking of course), great food (let your guide tell you what's safe to eat), incredible women.....

On our last cruise visit, we didn't even go into Bangkok...we went to a zoo on a ship tour where I held a live baby tiger on my lap for a picture...and then my DW took a picture of me with my arm around a live full grown tiger. You can't do that in too many places :) (no, she was not happy about going into a cage with a live tiger).

Edited by ghstudio

...eat clams in the centre of Bangkok. They had been resting on ice

A change in diet or an increase in the amount of chilli can make a a run to the loo more likely. As for food poisoning, you are more likely to pick up some bug eating from a buffet at a hotel than from eating on the streets in Thailand.

"Foodborne illness usually arises from improper handling, preparation, or food storage. Good hygiene practices before, during, and after food preparation can reduce the chances of contracting an illness. There is a consensus in the public health community that regular hand-washing is one of the most effective defenses against the spread of foodborne illness. The action of monitoring food to ensure that it will not cause foodborne illness is known as food safety. Foodborne disease can also be caused by a large variety of toxins that affect the environment." [from Wikipedia...]

The clams might have been on ice when you saw them; however, you do not know how the clams were stored prior to that. Attached is a photo of mine from Thailand of slaughtered pigs thrown in the back of a pick up truck (no ice involved).

The "final rinse" bucket/mangy dog water dish I wrote about in my prior post was next to the slop bucket. Rats would eat out of the slop bucket in broad daylight! The presence of flies at street food stalls shouldn't need to be discussed, but those with more common sense know that flies like to land on many things such as food and excrement.

Thais ate raw meat from the animal sacrifice in the attached photo. Again, not recommended for overnight tourists! The tolerance of locals MAY be higher than tourists. I recall eating one meal in Thailand were a Thai friend had to pull over on the road soon after and vomit. The restaurant looked safe enough for my standards and everyone in our party ate the exact same dishes without getting sick, but Thailand just isn't "very" clean. :rolleyes:

pigs.jpg.01c7839e803bfa59f87620cbbae06d2a.jpg

raw.jpg.8ba54affd35742a4e7b2ae8d001ef50f.jpg

Edited by X-elite

Haven't gone on the excursion but the area in and around the Grand Palace is fairly easily walkable as the grade is flat.

We've visited the palace twice in March time frame and it was really hot. If you're going during that period, I highly recommend bringing a sunshade/umbrella as others have suggested. The only respite was entering the dark buildings and standing by the fans.

We have also been looking at the Bangkok tours...we cruise next Autumn.

Having previously enjoyed a land visit to Bangkok we do not feel the pressure of having to visit and are considering all options.

On our land visit we could break up the walking and the heat by river trips, tuk-tuck rides, pool breaks...we could also sightsee early morning and late afternoon. Even so we did find Bangkok very tiring although we did love it! Also agree we the posts re being careful about eating and drinking. We had some great food but also saw rats near tourist sights and some enterprising youngsters gathering water bottles, refilling and selling to tourists....Same as lots of destinations, just be aware.

In addition to considering Celebrity's choices it may be worth considering a private tour as suggested by ghstudio (especially if there are a few of you as that often makes cost per head cheaper) and then you could pace the length of stop and venues to your own liking.

Hope you have a great trip. I will look out for any posts from you post cruise, they may help us decide on skipping Bangkok or revisiting!

We have also been looking at the Bangkok tours...we cruise next Autumn.

Having previously enjoyed a land visit to Bangkok we do not feel the pressure of having to visit and are considering all options.

On our land visit we could break up the walking and the heat by river trips, tuk-tuck rides, pool breaks...we could also sightsee early morning and late afternoon. Even so we did find Bangkok very tiring although we did love it! Also agree we the posts re being careful about eating and drinking. We had some great food but also saw rats near tourist sights and some enterprising youngsters gathering water bottles, refilling and selling to tourists....Same as lots of destinations, just be aware.

In addition to considering Celebrity's choices it may be worth considering a private tour as suggested by ghstudio (especially if there are a few of you as that often makes cost per head cheaper) and then you could pace the length of stop and venues to your own liking.

Hope you have a great trip. I will look out for any posts from you post cruise, they may help us decide on skipping Bangkok or revisiting!

We've booked an overnight private tour for Bangkok this Christmas. Many on our roll call have organised small groups, each with specific itineraries to explore :). Looking forward to our visit, not the food so much now :D.

We've booked an overnight private tour for Bangkok this Christmas. Many on our roll call have organised small groups, each with specific itineraries to explore :). Looking forward to our visit, not the food so much now :D.

I hope my comments did not put you off the food! We enjoyed some lovely food in Bangkok. Our favourite venue was at the back of a supermarket where they cooked the food in front of you. Just be alert, look around you... If one of our tuk tuks had not taken a short cut via the back street of some 5*hotels with bins we would not have seen the rats or the youngsters filling the water bottles...

Look forward to your post visit report...as I say we are as yet uncommitted for our next visit. I loved our trip through the canals, Jim Thomsons house as well as the more obvious venues but we are older now and wonder if a visit to a less explored venue may suit us better...

Edited by chemmo

Although I have not been on this tour specifically I have visited the Grand Palace and Wat Po several times as an independent traveller. There is a museum which is air conditioned near the entrance to the Grand Palace. A tour book I once read suggested keeping this for the end of the walk, only because of the air conditioning. There was a covered but not air conditioned cafe where you could also stop for a drink at the far end of the complex. I highly recommend the chilled coconuts.

Wat Po reclining buddha is covered and the emerald buddha room is pleasant.

Why not take your own sunshade/umbrella? If you can find one of those silvered on the underneath, they can be very effective.

I do hope you can all take this tour as it is wonderful. If you can eat off the streets do that too! It is a very clean country and we have never had any problems.

Eat street food? No, no, no! While you might get lucky and not have a problem it is not worth the risk. We lived in Bangkok for 5 years and I can tell you even the locals occasionally get sick eating street food (including from giardia, an intestinal parasite that you do not want to experience). The WHO (World Health Organization) did a study in Bangkok and found that many street food vendors were hepatitis carriers. Need I say more?

For safer food with local ambience, the best choice is to duck into almost any shopping mall or office block. Depending upon the building, the food court will be in the basement or on 4th or 5th floor in shopping malls.

Same type of food prepared in better conditions and similar prices. Come lunchtime they are packed out with Thai workers. You buy a value card at a central cashier and pass over for example 200 baht (US$7) and then when you go to each vendor/kitchen they will draw down from your credit whatever food you have ordered. Any left over credit is given back to you when you return the card to the cashier where you bought it.

The air conditioning is always a welcome relief.

Eat street food? No, no, no! While you might get lucky and not have a problem it is not worth the risk. We lived in Bangkok for 5 years and I can tell you even the locals occasionally get sick eating street food (including from giardia, an intestinal parasite that you do not want to experience). The WHO (World Health Organization) did a study in Bangkok and found that many street food vendors were hepatitis carriers. Need I say more?

You do nee to ensure that your food is cooked and hot. But as for catching hepatitis - doctors concur that unless you are sharing bodily fluids you will not be able to catch it, so eat the food hot, visit the cultural places and avoid the other reasons that make Bangkok famous or should I say infamous!!!

I hope my comments did not put you off the food! We enjoyed some lovely food in Bangkok. Our favourite venue was at the back of a supermarket where they cooked the food in front of you. Just be alert, look around you... If one of our tuk tuks had not taken a short cut via the back street of some 5*hotels with bins we would not have seen the rats or the youngsters filling the water bottles...

Look forward to your post visit report...as I say we are as yet uncommitted for our next visit. I loved our trip through the canals, Jim Thomsons house as well as the more obvious venues but we are older now and wonder if a visit to a less explored venue may suit us better...

Tbh, we saw some interesting sights when we visited Morocco a few years ago on a cruise. It put me off street food for life :D. We'll probably just eat in the hotel for dinner and breakfast the following day as we'll be on the move sightseeing the rest of the time. I also pack cereal bars for the kids to keep them going ;).

I understand that covered shoulders and knees is a must at most tourist venues, so I intend travelling in my light linen trousers - I like the creased look :rolleyes: :D.

Tbh, we saw some interesting sights when we visited Morocco a few years ago on a cruise. It put me off street food for life :D. We'll probably just eat in the hotel for dinner and breakfast the following day as we'll be on the move sightseeing the rest of the time. I also pack cereal bars for the kids to keep them going ;).

I understand that covered shoulders and knees is a must at most tourist venues, so I intend travelling in my light linen trousers - I like the creased look :rolleyes: :D.

Hope you and your family have a great time! Cereal bars are a great standby! We still take a few with us now, wherever we go!

All the gold makes the grand palace so visual for youngsters, tuk-tuk riding is a real must do adventure....We hired a long tail boat for very little (near the Hilton? I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong...) a real highlight of our visit.

Again, sincere best wishes for a great visit!

Hope you and your family have a great time! Cereal bars are a great standby! We still take a few with us now, wherever we go!

All the gold makes the grand palace so visual for youngsters, tuk-tuk riding is a real must do adventure....We hired a long tail boat for very little (near the Hilton? I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong...) a real highlight of our visit.

Thanks. Only 80 days left for us now :). I still call them 'kids', when I should really say teens :o (especially as they are both taller than I am :D). And I still think of them as my young lads, hence taking the snacks in my bag - I just can't help myself ;).

Thanks. Only 80 days left for us now :). I still call them 'kids', when I should really say teens :o (especially as they are both taller than I am :D). And I still think of them as my young lads, hence taking the snacks in my bag - I just can't help myself ;).

Ditto! Our 'lad' is his 20's and we still do the same if he cruises with us. He now is the main luggage carrier and has been known to take my hand in busy cities to 'cross me over' the road....

We are cruising Hong Kong to Singapore in October. We have visited many of the places before, some cruising and some land based. We are very uncertain yet on tours we are going to take so will look out for your reviews! If you are on a similar cruise we may pick up some tips!

Most hotels on the river have boat captains who will organise a long tail boat ride for you with a couple of minutes notice. The Millennium Hilton is on the opposite side of the river to a lot of the other hotels. The Peninsula, whilst on the same side of the river, has a boat station on both sides of the river. The Shangri La also has one, as does the Mandarin Oriental and Royal Orchid Sheraton.

If you're in the city it might be easiest to get a monorail that stops outside the Shangri La (Krungthep Wing) walk through there to their main wing where the boat station is.

Most hotels on the river have boat captains who will organise a long tail boat ride for you with a couple of minutes notice. The Millennium Hilton is on the opposite side of the river to a lot of the other hotels. The Peninsula, whilst on the same side of the river, has a boat station on both sides of the river. The Shangri La also has one, as does the Mandarin Oriental and Royal Orchid Sheraton.

If you're in the city it might be easiest to get a monorail that stops outside the Shangri La (Krungthep Wing) walk through there to their main wing where the boat station is.

All the riverfront hotels (except for the Shangri La) run free shuttle boats to and from Sathorn Pier which is directly below Saphan Taksin skytrain station. This is the easiest way to reach the hotel boat stations.

This is a night bazaar and riverfront dining area that we found while staying in Bangkok overnight independently on our Millennium cruise last November.

It is well worth a visit to this huge converted warehouse behind a long boardwalk full of Thai, Italian, Seafood, etc. restaurants. The shops offer lots of merchandise of a better quality than the street markets, so easy to find gifts etc. It opens I think around 5pm in the late afternoon.

You can Google Asiatique for more information. It is best reached by boat.

Take the BTS to Saphan Taksin and then take the free shuttle boat at the end of the pier. The journey takes ten minutes and the shuttle runs until 11pm.

After our meal there, we wandered around the hundreds of little shops and bars and forgot about time. Our hotel was in downtown Bangkok near Central World and we thought we would get a taxi back. Big mistake! The taxi drivers told us that they could not take us back due to traffic congestion. So we returned by the free shuttle to the BTS station and with the help of a group of lovely young Aussie guys, eventually reached our hotel near midnight, exhausted. Loads of fun though for an older couple like us!

This is a night bazaar and riverfront dining area that we found while staying in Bangkok overnight independently on our Millennium cruise last November.

It is well worth a visit to this huge converted warehouse behind a long boardwalk full of Thai, Italian, Seafood, etc. restaurants. The shops offer lots of merchandise of a better quality than the street markets, so easy to find gifts etc. It opens I think around 5pm in the late afternoon.

You can Google Asiatique for more information. It is best reached by boat.

Take the BTS to Saphan Taksin and then take the free shuttle boat at the end of the pier. The journey takes ten minutes and the shuttle runs until 11pm.

After our meal there, we wandered around the hundreds of little shops and bars and forgot about time. Our hotel was in downtown Bangkok near Central World and we thought we would get a taxi back. Big mistake! The taxi drivers told us that they could not take us back due to traffic congestion. So we returned by the free shuttle to the BTS station and with the help of a group of lovely young Aussie guys, eventually reached our hotel near midnight, exhausted. Loads of fun though for an older couple like us!

Is it quite safe walking around in the evenings or should we avoid certain areas? Only asking as we have teens in our party and I don't want to wander where we shouldn't, or where it's not advisable.

TIA