Wasabi - Sushi on Five question?

2calgarycruisers

Was just looking at a menu (real pic of menu not the one on X website) and it appears that there is a charge of $10 for fresh wasabi?? That seems insane... In their advertising it appears to me that the fresh wasabi was offered as part of the restaurant standards above a regular sushi restaurant. Anyone had experience?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the Silhouette in July soon after Sushi on Five began. The maître d explained to us that fresh wasabi is only good for 10-15 minutes and then it loses it's taste. He had the server bring over the wasabi root and a special grater. She worked pretty hard to get a small sample. They did serve the regular wasabi with our food. Seems it is mixed with other things to preserve the taste.

The green "wasabi" that you are likely used to seeing in American sushi restaurants is (at best) powdered, color added, and mostly horseradish. Fresh wasabi is a much lighter color, harder to prepare, and (as was mentioned above) fairly labile. The price they're charging is high, but isn't wholly out of line. Whether or not the whole restaurant is a good idea to begin with is a whole separate discussion. :)

I do understand the difference between the two but naively had assumed that it would have been included. While we would not have chosen this restaurant it does come with our 5 night dinner package - from what I've read we have a $30pp limit so the wasabi alone would be a third of our dinner - yikes! Will ask for a sample though!

Yes wasabi is included. It was explained to us that the 'wasabi' included with the meal is that same as the wasabi often served at home ( a bit of wasabi, mainly horse radish, colouring, preservative). But the expensive wasabi was 100% wasabi root grated at the table and came at an additional charge.

.... we had the standard :)

Edited by beaveh

As with the rest of the pricing at SO5, it's extortionate, but I did walk by and they are grating real wasabi root for the people who pay for it.

(Never mind you can get pasteurized 100% wasabi paste in packets for free at $1/piece sushi shops in Japan...)

Edited by gergles

As with the rest of the pricing at SO5, it's extortionate, but I did walk by and they are grating real wasabi root for the people who pay for it.

(Never mind you can get pasteurized 100% wasabi paste in packets for free at $1/piece sushi shops in Japan...)

I'm glad you said that. Quite a few posts on here say it's reasonably priced :confused:

By the time we had starter, main course and pud it was more than most of the speciality restaurants, with out the special ambience.:(

I'm glad you said that. Quite a few posts on here say it's reasonably priced :confused:

By the time we had starter, main course and pud it was more than most of the speciality restaurants, with out the special ambience.:(

That's not good news as from what I've read on the dinner package (that we have) that we only have $30 each to spend - rest is charged to sea card :(