Eastern or Western???? Please Help!

rocky555

Hi! I am looking to do the Equinox next summer. (I just did the Summit to Bermuda and love Celebrity!!). I am wondering which itinerary is better. The Eastern goes to San Juan, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. The Western goes to Key West, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman.

I am going with my teenage daughter. We usually like to divide our port time between relaxing beach day one port, and fun activity another port, like snorkeling, cave swimming, etc. Of the ports, I have been to St. Martin where we did the all day tour. (Forgot the name, it was sightseeing and beach time.)

Of the above ports, which has the prettiest beach. I like to go to a nice hotel that does day passes if possible, like the Elbow Beach Resort in Bermuda. Thank you for advice!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi! I am looking to do the Equinox next summer. (I just did the Summit to Bermuda and love Celebrity!!). I am wondering which itinerary is better. The Eastern goes to San Juan, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. The Western goes to Key West, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman.

I am going with my teenage daughter. We usually like to divide our port time between relaxing beach day one port, and fun activity another port, like snorkeling, cave swimming, etc. Of the ports, I have been to St. Martin where we did the all day tour. (Forgot the name, it was sightseeing and beach time.)

Of the above ports, which has the prettiest beach. I like to go to a nice hotel that does day passes if possible, like the Elbow Beach Resort in Bermuda. Thank you for advice!!!Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would recommend the Eastern Caribbean. I find those islands/ports much nicer.

Of course I'm a little tainted. In 2012 on Celebrity Mercury, we did Costa Maya. We arranged a direct tour with a private company that did not pay the political graft to the port. As a result, just as our two vans left the town, we were stopped by armed federales who held us there for 45 minutes while they did their political posturing and requiring to see copies of everyone's tour reservation.

The operator took those at the office so one of the employees had to go back to the office to prove that none of us booked once we arrived and all had pre-booked. We did have a great tour after we were finally able to proceed but those 45 minutes surrounded by armed guards was very unnerving.

I swore that with the violent upheaval throughout Mexico and that experience, I would from then on only go to the Eastern and Southern Caribbean islands.

I've been to most of the islands several times. One of my favorites is St. Maarten. But it's really what you'd enjoy more. Happy sails to you....

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Of course I'm a little tainted. In 2012 on Celebrity Mercury, we did Costa Maya. We arranged a direct tour with a private company that did not pay the political graft to the port. As a result, just as our two vans left the town, we were stopped by armed federales who held us there for 45 minutes while they did their political posturing and requiring to see copies of everyone's tour reservation.

The operator took those at the office so one of the employees had to go back to the office to prove that none of us booked once we arrived and all had pre-booked. We did have a great tour after we were finally able to proceed but those 45 minutes surrounded by armed guards was very unnerving.

I swore that with the violent upheaval throughout Mexico and that experience, I would from then on only go to the Eastern and Southern Caribbean islands.

I've been to most of the islands several times. One of my favorites is St. Maarten. But it's really what you'd enjoy more. Happy sails to you....

Th

Thank you so much for our input!!!

You should head over to the Ports of Call forum and do some research on each. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

Personally, Eastern appeals the most to me because Key West only needs to be seen once in a lifetime (if that), and I'd rather skip Mexico altogether. Grand Cayman has the best beach of the two itineraries but the rest of those Western ports seem like wastes to me. The Eastern ports all have lovely beaches.

Rocky, I have done both and prefer the eastern itinerary, however, I think the western might be a better fit if none of you have visited Mexico. My reasons -

We sailed with our 17 and 21 year old daughters on a similar Western itinerary and their #1 spot was Grand Cayman and the Stingray City excursion. We have been to Mexico but they still enjoyed shopping Cozumel but there are good beaches to be had there too. Key West should provide some good snorkeling. Costa Maya should also be a good snorkeling spot or beach day but I cannot say for sure because we did not stop there.

Have been fortunate enough to have cruised to all of these destinations, some multiple times. You will enjoy any of the places you listed, but since you asked for an opinion, We vote Eastern. Happy Cruising! Bob and Linda

Of the above ports, which has the prettiest beach. I like to go to a nice hotel that does day passes if possible, like the Elbow Beach Resort in Bermuda. Thank you for advice!!!

For us, first choice would be the Eastern itinerary. Do a B2B and enjoy both itineraries. We are in March of 2018 on the Equinox.

Have been fortunate enough to have cruised to all of these destinations, some multiple times. You will enjoy any of the places you listed, but since you asked for an opinion, We vote Eastern. Happy Cruising! Bob and Linda

Thank you for answering! If I do the Eastern, which has the nicest beach? I prefer to get a hotel pass for the day where it is not that crowded and have nicer a entities than other beaches. I don't mind if it costs more. Also, which place would have something fun to do? Like horseback riding? I did the all day excursion in St. Maarten, so I would prefer to do something different. If I do end up doing the Western, same questions for you. Thank you again for your help!!

Just my two cents......

We have been to all these ports except Key West. Cozumel has fabulous

snorkeling on the Palancar Reef. Sting Ray City on Grand Cayman is an

experience not to be missed, IMO, and I think a teenager would love it. Plenty

of lovely beaches on both islands. Love the eastern Caribbean too, but

the western has lots of good points as well.

Deanna

I'll have to agree with everyone else about eastern Caribbean. However, the 10 to 14 day eastern and southern cruises are MUCH better so if you can work that out, you'd really enjoy it even more. We don't care for Mexico or Key West or Puerto Rico but we love the ports of St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Dominica, Antigua, Barbados.

I'll have to agree with everyone else about eastern Caribbean. However, the 10 to 14 day eastern and southern cruises are MUCH better so if you can work that out, you'd really enjoy it even more. We don't care for Mexico or Key West or Puerto Rico but we love the ports of St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Dominica, Antigua, Barbados.

That's why we usually do B2B Caribbean Cruises or true 14 night Caribbean Cruises every year. If you miss a port one year you pick it up another year. Also repeating ports dosen't bother us either.

For us, first choice would be the Eastern itinerary. Do a B2B and enjoy both itineraries. We are in March of 2018 on the Equinox.

Agree on doing both as a B2B! If I only had the time for one I'd go eastern. I love the islands and the extra sea day!

We prefer the eastern.

The problem on Celebrity is that their eastern itineraries only do three ports and three sea days while the westerns do four ports and two sea days.

I think your teens could get bored with three sea days--as an adult I feel like "Are we there yet?"

To make it worse, the day in Puerto Rico you don't get in till 3:30 so it is almost another sea day making it 4:eek::eek::eek:

For that reason we cruise Holland America alot. Their eastern itineraries go to Grand Turk, their beautiful Half Moon Cay private island, San Juan, and either St. Thomas or St. Maarten depending on the week and ship.

Have done both many times and prefer the Eastern but this is such a personal opinion.

56 Cruises and Counting! Bon Voyage to my fellow CC's and smooth sailing.

Planning a vacay is almost as much fun as the vacay itself!!!

My wife and I are more shopping, sightseeing, and spa/pool days onboard etc. than beach people, so I don't have much information for you on beaches. We also enjoy day passes at nice resorts when we do go to a beach, but have not done any on your list of islands. If you ever go to Aruba or Bermuda we could help.

I would suggest that you take a look at the ports of call portion of Cruise Critic. They have different pages for each of the islands you asking about which will provide lots of information and opinions about these islands and ideas for day passes, beaches and many more activities. Some of the posters actually live on the islands they post about which is really a good source of information about local things like horseback tours.

Some of our favorite ports/towns on the islands you mentioned are Maginot and Phillipsburg on St. Maarten on the Eastern itinerary and Key West, Downtown Grand Cayman, and Cozumel on the Western itinerary. We will be in Phillipsburg, Key West and Cayman on different cruises in 2017 the good lord and weather willing! Happy Cruising! Bob and Linda

Hi! I am looking to do the Equinox next summer.

I am going with my teenage daughter. We usually like to divide our port time between relaxing beach day one port, and fun activity another port, like snorkeling, cave swimming, etc. Of the ports, I have been to St. Martin where we did the all day tour.

Thank you for advice!!!

First, the Equinox is a wonderful ship, we are booked for our 3rd sailing Nov 2017. We have sailed East/West many times as both have something different to offer with the Country's they visit. There is no wrong sailing!

When in the summer are you looking to sail? Is the any way to stretch it out to one of the 10/11 days cruises that go to the ABC's? That is a wonderful route.

Eastern. Highly recommend Captain Bob on St. Maarten. Best day we have ever spend in the Caribbean. There are similar excursions from St. Thomas as well as magnificent beaches there (besides the shopping).

If you do go East, here is a second for Capt Bob! We had 14 from our roll call last year go. Simply outstanding as mentioned above!

Da Plane! Da Plane!

1257571748_CaptBob.jpg.3044acf7a506ff70f40ed41f4953e30a.jpg