what shots needed for India/middle east

stillhott

going Abu Dhabi round trip with India in December on Celebrity

what shots/ immunizations do we REALLY need?

will be doing side trip to Delhi/Agra

Goa Cochin Mangalore Mubai

have good hotels booked and tours arranged via Celebrity in Delhi and Agra

probably won't eat outside of their restaurants

don't want meds we don't really need

We did a cruise that included India and the Middle East. We did not get any immunizations. I think a Hep A vaccination is a good idea when you visit countries like India. If you are going to the UAE and Oman, those countries are now very modern.

Definitely would recommend talking with your health care provider. Kaiser, who is my provider has a Travel Clinic and they go over your personal health factors and advises immunization according to both your individual health condition as well as CDC recommendations.

I've travelled quite a few times in that area on business and believe me, you do not want to take chances with your health - I think once you've visited you will understand my concern. You will also need to take malaria pills daily. Don't risk it, I worked with someone who chose not to take the malaria pills because of side effects (scary dreams) and he lives every day regretting it. Taj Mahal is something that everyone should experience once in their life. In Abu Dhabi try and go on a desert safari -great fun and ride a camel!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Be aware that the Hepatitis A vaccine is a series, with a time interval between doses.

We are going to UAE, India, Maldives, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Thailand, Myanmar and Singapore on a cruise soon. We got a tetanus (booster), Hep A, and Typhoid vaccines (plus Flu shot, which we always get). Agree with all the other posters that you should discuss this with your physician.

I've travelled quite a few times in that area on business and believe me, you do not want to take chances with your health - I think once you've visited you will understand my concern. You will also need to take malaria pills daily. Don't risk it, I worked with someone who chose not to take the malaria pills because of side effects (scary dreams) and he lives every day regretting it.

Which areas from the OP's itinerary do you consider sufficiently high risk of malaria to give out this advice? I can see none that would require prophylactic treatment as a matter of course. Your characterisation of the side effect risks of mefloquine is also potentially damaging, IMHO.

OP, PLEASE speak to a medical professional rather then rely on advice such as this.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

Here is the CDCs recommendation:

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/india

If you are going to eat or drink anything not commercially packaged in India, the Hep A and Typhoid vaccines I'd argue should be mandatory.

I also would strongly recommend malaria treatment, especially going to see the Taj (standing next to a giant still pond for hours.) You will almost certainly not be given mefloquine, so don't let people scare you in to not taking malaria prophylaxis. Atovaquone-proguanil (malarone) has a very low incidence of side effects and certainly beats malaria.

don't want meds we don't really need

You really do need to consult a medical professional for genuine advice. I'm not sure how things work in the US but here in the UK we visit our doctors surgeries who then look at a computer system which has up to date advice and meds are prescribed accordingly. Just ensure you give them plenty of notice as some need time to take effect.

As many who visit India suffer from 'Delhi belly' I'd also pack suitable medication with you and make sure you only drink sealed bottled water. If you're on a cruise take the bottles off the ship etc.

Rough guides and Lonely Planet guides are always worth a read when travelling to destinations before you go. Lots of useful info and tips in there.

Which areas from the OP's itinerary do you consider sufficiently high risk of malaria to give out this advice? I can see none that would require prophylactic treatment as a matter of course. Your characterisation of the side effect risks of mefloquine is also potentially damaging, IMHO.

OP, PLEASE speak to a medical professional rather then rely on advice such as this.

Malaria medication is given out routinely for India. I've only travelled to major cities, Delhi, Mumbai,Chennai, Agra (and apart from Agra, flown between each) and each visit have been prescribed malarone. The drug you refer to is rarely used anymore due to the serious potential side effects. Mosquitoes also frequent cities. I'm guessing you haven't travelled to that part of the world?

IMHO, the reason I posted this was to warn the original OP, who appeared reluctant to take medication that if he was concerned about the side effects of the drug, that having malaria was much worse.

Also, clearly you must visit a health professional to get this drug, as well as vaccinations - this isn't something you can self medicate.

Malaria medication is given out routinely for India. I've only travelled to major cities, Delhi, Mumbai,Chennai, Agra (and apart from Agra, flown between each) and each visit have been prescribed malarone. The drug you refer to is rarely used anymore due to the serious potential side effects. Mosquitoes also frequent cities. I'm guessing you haven't travelled to that part of the world?

IMHO, the reason I posted this was to warn the original OP, who appeared reluctant to take medication that if he was concerned about the side effects of the drug, that having malaria was much worse.

Also, clearly you must visit a health professional to get this drug, as well as vaccinations - this isn't something you can self medicate.

We're also on this itinerary next year and the NHS link does not advise malaria medications in the cities visited, unless you have underlying medical problems:

http://www.fitfortravel.scot.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-(east)/india.aspx#malaria

If you open the map on the link, the shaded area suggests low to no risk and low risk with advice - antimalarials not usually recommended. We will obviously consult our GP, but thought I'd mention the difference in information :confused:?

We're also on this itinerary next year and the NHS link does not advise malaria medications in the cities visited, unless you have underlying medical problems:

http://www.fitfortravel.scot.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-(east)/india.aspx#malaria

If you open the map on the link, the shaded area suggests low to no risk and low risk with advice - antimalarials not usually recommended. We will obviously consult our GP, but thought I'd mention the difference in information :confused:?

Very interesting - I just asked someone who has travelled to our offices in India recently and they were prescribed malarone from our travel clinic. Maybe with business travel they are more cautious? Anyway, looks like a fantastic itinerary! If you haven't already read it, read Behind the Beautiful Forevers before you go - interesting, disturbing read and certainly eye opening to what you will see

Yes my 1st advice is to see a medical professional.

I have only taken malaria pills once. I had to take the pills for 3 weeks before going to India. Take pills the 21 day I was in India. Then for 6 weeks after. I only had to take 1 pill a week. I did not have any side effects.

As I do travel and who knows where I might want to go next. I've gotten shots or pills for over 25 years. Here is a list of my vaccinations. Typhoid, Yellow Fever, Polio, Hep A and Hep B, MMR, Meningococcal, Tdap and flu shot.

Each person or family needs to talk to a medical professional about what vaccinations they should have or want for themselves.

The only side effect I have had is a sore arm at times.

Very interesting - I just asked someone who has travelled to our offices in India recently and they were prescribed malarone from our travel clinic. Maybe with business travel they are more cautious? Anyway, looks like a fantastic itinerary! If you haven't already read it, read Behind the Beautiful Forevers before you go - interesting, disturbing read and certainly eye opening to what you will see

The main difference in information appears to be where, when and for how long you are staying i.e. if you're staying with relatives in rural areas for a few weeks/months, then they suggest additional medication. Those visiting on cruise ships, that usually stay for a few hours during daylight, tend to have slightly difference advice. It was a little like this when we vsited Singapore and some other countries in Central America.

Our kids are up-to-date with all their vaccinations and are well travelled (wish I had been at their age :D), so we'll see next year what our surgery advises. This year for our Asia cruise, we don't have to have any additional vaccines than we've already had, but we will be using our trusted bug repellant ;).

Btw, thanks for the book recommendation - I'll check it out ;).

for India? Def Whiskey.

I always thought it was Gin and Tonic for India. Something in the Gin that the mosquitoes did not like. Ok I have it now. One gin and tonic with a shot of whiskey to wash it down. It is a good thing I get the premium drink package. LOL

I always travel with a few tablets of Cipro prescribed by my doctor to knock out any intestinal issues that may arise.

As to shots, never got anything special for any travel, but have had the hepatitis range and other standard issue vaccines.

for India? Def Whiskey.

I always thought it was Gin and Tonic for India. Something in the Gin that the mosquitoes did not like. Ok I have it now. One gin and tonic with a shot of whiskey to wash it down. It is a good thing I get the premium drink package. LOL

So that's my DH and me covered, not so much for the minors :eek: :D.

Edited by villauk