Goodbye "Modern Luxury"

chamima

I know there's been a lot of discussion about the new ad Celebrity aired last night during the debate.

Leaving world views and politics aside - what seems to have gone unnoticed was the statement Lisa Lutoff-Perlo made in advance of the ad.

"We're heading in a purpose-driven direction with 'Sailing Beyond Borders,' " she (Lisa Lutoff-Perlo ) said in a phone interview with Cruise Critic. "We're still a modern luxury cruise line, but it's less about 'Modern Luxury Lives Here'." Will McGinness, partner and executive creative director for Venables Bell & Partners, who worked on the ad, calls it "a new direction for the Celebrity brand."

As each little amenity (for those not in suites) has been eliminated, a lot of us have said it wasn't the "Modern Luxury" we expected.

Well now the CEO has let us know we're right. Modern Luxury is NOT their direction! :(

Let's see....which campaign/theme seems to best match Celebrity:

Modern Luxury

Marco Polo

Sailing without Borders

Irrespective of what one thinks about "modern luxury" and how it pertains to the current Celebrity offerings, I think that many would agree with me that "sailing without borders" is a pretty good theme for Celebrity.

It almost seems like sanity has hit their oval office.....they are actually going to market what they offer.

'Sailing Beyond Borders' is OK , why not . It doesn't actually say or mean anything but it is perfectly adequate

sort of like Celebrity has become . I guess Modern Luxury no longer fit as OP posted, "for those not in suites" .

Edited by richstowe

The "Sailing Beyond Borders" print ad in the paper today really caught my eye.

The Thames and London's Tower Bridge in front of snow capped mountains. A neat visual. It certainly made me want to get on a ship! (Okay, that doesn't take much. :) )

I saw the commercial again this morning during Good Morning America. Celebrity and LLP are really trying to change the cruise line's image and attract new customers. You can't blame them for that. The add is much better than some I have seen in the past.

Personally I thought "Modern Luxury" was a joke.

Until recently, Modern Luxury was the distinctive mark of Celebrity at fair prices in every category.. .a very special cruise exerperience!

Quite obviously that is no longer the vision or the reality. (except perhaps in suites).

It is clearly now mass production for the masses...Miami DJ, more alcohol packages, lower grade food, downgraded servce, different cruise demographic.....and probably belly flop and hairy legs contest not too far in the future..Three hots and a cot!

..We all know what we're getting...some of us will stick with for awhile longer...in hopes it may change back for the better . If not, many attractive offers on Azamara, Oceana etc..

CEO LLP ..very disappointing direction!

The "Sailing Beyond Borders" print ad in the paper today really caught my eye.

The Thames and London's Tower Bridge in front of snow capped mountains. A neat visual. It certainly made me want to get on a ship! (Okay, that doesn't take much. :) )

And what was with the people walking across the Thames on a sand bar? :D I don't remember seeing that when we were in London last fall. And we rode the Eye. Reminded me of the sand bars at Mont Saint-Michel, France.

Oh, and it bothered me that we only had a nano second to glimpse Santorini. My favorite port!

I do have to agree that seeing that ad made me want to jump on a ship and see more of the world!

Luckily, I saw the ad online earlier yesterday because I became disgusted with the debate and went to bed. DH said that he never saw the ad. When did it play?

Edited by Iamthesea

With Ms. P making so making changes, and with what I see as a political slant to her new AD, along with what looks like a new direction for Celebrity, what would you as a customer think if she really took a radical step, and changed the restrooms to gender neutral. I know, I know, that's really far out, but in todays world I am not surprised at anything anymore.

With Ms. P making so making changes, and with what I see as a political slant to her new AD, along with what looks like a new direction for Celebrity, what would you as a customer think if she really took a radical step, and changed the restrooms to gender neutral. I know, I know, that's really far out, but in todays world I am not surprised at anything anymore.

I have those in my own home, don't you :D? I didn't realise I was 'far out' :p.

Does "sailing without borders" actually mean anything? No, of course not. So what exactly is going to change? This is just a new marketing direction.

It also gives Celebrity an opportunity to eliminate the "luxury".

From what I have read on CC the Luxury was eliminated a long time ago.

Please, you know what I'm talking about. Some people may find it unacceptable and uncomfortable. Just looking for opinions? For you it sound as if it is acceptable. Which is your opinion. So calm down.

Edited by Cruzinram
Posted twice in error

It would be smart to design the new ships with gender neutral bathrooms from the start because it maximizes capacity. If everyone has a private stall, what's the big deal?

Lots of newer marketing research suggests that younger people are choosing entertainment based on emotional values. This branding change seems like a direct response to that. You'll be seeing a lot more of it with companies that rely heavily on marketing, especially if they're trying to lure younger clients.

Please, you know what I'm talking about. Some people may find it unacceptable and uncomfortable. Just looking for opinions? For you it sound as if it is acceptable. Which is your opinion. So calm down.

I think genderless bathrooms are a great idea. I have no problem being in a stall next to a man and it would equalize the lines for the bathrooms.

My moto has always been "Any port in a storm". That was long before gender neutral was even a thought.

Seriously what the heck does "Modern Luxury" mean anyway??

This was my thought exactly.

What IS the definition of "Modern Luxury"? In my opinion, each of us has our own idea of what that phrase means and if Celebrity doesn't reach your expectations, they've fallen short for everybody. Just because Passenger "A" isn't happy with what's being sold as Modern Luxury doesn't mean passenger "B" feels the same way.

I hate to burst your bubble, but advertisements are not meant to represent reality in today's world. They want to establish "brand imaging". And that;s all it is.

Thank you for the posters who have pointed out that I am merely a mass market customer and as such find the product Celebrity offers a very good value for the price. If you can afford to go to a higher service cruise line then go. Nobody's stopping you.

Stop complaining on the Celebrity message board and move along. You know it's going to cost you in multiples higher for the service you now expect and hopefully will get on other lines like Cunard, Oceania, Regent, Viking and the like. The odds are you'll find something to complain about there too.

In the meanwhile us poor folk from the unwashed masses (DW and I) will luxuriate in the Solarium and Persian Gardens of the S-class ships to our heart's content.

And while we're on the subject. Making restrooms gender neutral is the most ridiculous idea on a ship with thousands of strangers on board. To quote my grandfather "Hogwash".

Edited by NordicPrince

This was my thought exactly.

What IS the definition of "Modern Luxury"? In my opinion, each of us has our own idea of what that phrase means and if Celebrity doesn't reach your expectations, they've fallen short for everybody. Just because Passenger "A" isn't happy with what's being sold as Modern Luxury doesn't mean passenger "B" feels the same way.

And doesn't that just sum it all up - one person's needs and expectations is totally different to the next.

How we've got from the CEO attempting to broaden horizons to gender neutral toilets is beyond me :confused: (I'm sure there must be a link somewhere :p). Just in the same way as some think the ad is wonderful, others do not - it's how one interprets the meaning. In reality it's all just marketing spin.

The CEO still stated X was a 'luxury cruise line', but basically added that she wants people to travel, rather than staying at home. Well there's a shock (not), she's in the travel industry. So if one doesn't like the product - it's not living up to your 'modern luxury' definition - then take your money elsewhere. Is it not the same for any product you purchase? A brand changes the ingredients in an item, you give the new product a try but decide it's not to your liking. Do you still buy the new item, even though you don't like it? Or do you start buying another brand?

Same for shareholders, if you are appalled by the (alleged) link to politics, then sell your shares and invest the money somewhere else; after all, it's your money to do as you so wish ;).

Edited by villauk