Maho Beach: 2007 vs 2017

marti2282

Two photos are inserted below. The first was taken from the Sunset Bar in 2007 and the second from almost the same vantage point last week.

My, how things have changed. I had read here the the crowds were so thick " you couldn't see the sand." Was sure it was an exaggeration. Not so much... you be the judge!

e78ce19baf40f161bde6f879c9a69fd8.jpg

25a92b3fb67bc5eaac216384d98c8b1c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Other differences over the years that I miss are the air traffic control communication over the speaker at 😊Sunset Beach Bar, all of the plane schedule for the day written on the surfboard and the shorter runway.

It's busier BUT I don't think that it's better in any way.

You tube, I blame you!:loudcry:

I recently posted the topic "Maho Beach Madness Beware" and am glad you agree it was no "exaggeration". My how times have changed :eek:

Yep. It was your thread that gave me pause. I was really dreading going, but we were fortunate and shared a table by the rail. Don't think I'll go back when there are 6 ships (15,000 cruisers?) in port ever again. We never left the table. Would have loved to put my feet in the sand.

Other differences over the years that I miss are the air traffic control communication over the speaker at 😊Sunset Beach Bar, all of the plane schedule for the day written on the surfboard and the shorter runway.

It's busier BUT I don't think that it's better in any way.

You tube, I blame you!:loudcry:

I think you must have overheard my husband. He said almost the same thing. We used to love going there.:(

If there is only one ship in port there will not be crowds.

Glad to hear it. We have a group of 30 on Adventure of the Seas in June, many in the group have not been to Maho and we are looking forward to spending some time there.

Not sure the website above is completely accurate. My itinerary for Jewel of the Seas has us in St. Maarten on April 22 & it's not showing on this list at all. However, this entire cruise isn't even a "listed" cruise for RCI, because it's a private booking. Perhaps since it can't be "seen" on RCI's site, whoever puts this list together can't see it either. Not sure how often private bookings for entire cruise ships happen, so it might be fairly accurate outside of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have vacationed on St Martin a few times (generally for 1-2 weeks at a time) and usually stay around Grand Case. Since we have a rental car, it is relatively easy to go to any beach (or place) on the island. Suffice it to say that on our last few trips we never went anywhere near Maho! The beach sucks and its often too crowded. There are so many nicer beaches on the island that Maho is near the bottom of our list of "go to" places. If it were not for the cruise ships, we think Maho would generally be an empty patch of sand. Sunset Bar is actually a decent place...and if were staying on that side of the island we would likely head over there late in the afternoon (after most cruisers are gone) for a drink. When we are on the island for a Port Day we also have no desire to go anywhere near Maho.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went there in April and was so disappointed! Crowded, HOT & dirty. We couldn't even get under plane landing. After Air France landed we left. Not worth going, if cruise ships are in port! That's my 2 cents!:halo:

The last time we were there it was sort of between the two photos... We went there by taxi in the afternoon (after a tour), but I don't remember how many cruise ships were in. It looks like there will be at least 3 (including us) when next we visit. Does anyone know when the Sunset Bar opens? I kind of feel we should go there early to avoid crowds, we'll be there with two Air Traffic Controllers, and I think they will be interested in it. I'll have to check into what flights will be going in on the day.

Yes we were there in 2005 while staying on SXM and enjoyed the little SSBB. Fast forward to 2017 and another land vacation and we were a little surprised at the expansion there even after friends telling us about it.

As far as the crowd it depends on the day and time of day, that can change drastically from one day to the next. Maho was actually much more crowded when we were there in '05 than our recent visit because there were fewer ships in during this last visit. But the SSBB - and the other new properties around it - were the real shocker!

I take vacations to avoid situations like this! Ughh. Thankfully, my ship is solo the day we are in port.

Crazy!

In that case avoid the SSBB and Maho (and Orient). Head for Friar's Bay or Happy Bay and enjoy a nicer beach without the rest of your fellow mates. :)

Get in line to get a beer there also...

Not at Happy Bay, The only way there is to hike and there are no restaurants. Usually there is a guy with a BBQ grill next to his trailer. Not sure he even sells beer.