What hike that isn't too "over the top" strenuous so I can still move the next day?

RoxiRoo

Hi All,

I really want to do the volcano hike, but my balance isn't great, and I will try to get in shape, but I just think it might be a little over the top for me. Are there any hikes that are an exertion but won't land me in the hospital or make me so sore the next day that I cannot move? I would love to see some scenery, get a good workout. But I think 4-5 hours of hiking up up up and down down down might be out of my wheelhouse.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

If you are not cruising until January you have plenty of time to get into shape. I did it years ago (22 yrs to be exact). It does require some stamina and the trip up will be different the trip down. The time required depends on the guide and the size of the group. Up and down should take about 4 to 5 hours. It will take a little more time going up. You do not need hiking boots but some closed toe walking shoes should work fine. You will get dirty but to say " I did it", was worth it for me.

Also, if you're using a guide, just let the guide know when you've reached your fitness halfway point. Remember coming back will be a bit tougher on the knees. Making it to the top is a nice goal. Not every climber on Everest makes it all the way. So go as far as you can with the return in mind and give yourself a great big pat on the back for the effort. I agree with Paul that with a steady program, by January you should be in shape. Use stairmaster machines, or those that have the actual steps, and take local hikes or longer walks as you progress.

Not going to let me off easy, are you? :) You are right, I will get moving on this. No stairmaster machines in my tiny fitness facility, but plenty of stairs in our buildings.

Thanks for the feedback!

With the increased tourist traffic from cruise ships, the trail is probably more user friendly than it was in 1995. You will still be grabbing roots & vines on the way up. Hope for a clear day so you can have the tremendous view that is from the rim of the volcano.

I have looked at some of the videos. And I feel pretty good about it, until I hear about people that have slipped and fallen.....and I do have some balance issues, so that is my biggest concern. But no harm in getting in shape....

I have also looked at Royston's tours around the island, and they seem pretty adventurous and fun.

my husband and I are doing this next year with poinciana tours and the day before we are climbing the Piton in St. Lucia. Just to say we did it:cool: at the young age of 53. I think of it this way. If I don't do it, I will be sorry and always wish I had.

jean - you have a good attitude! I will be 52 at the time of the climb.....so it is a good goal!

I see you have been on a lot of different cruise lines.....would love to get your opinion of Celebrity vs. Carnival vs. RCCL. We'd like to do a cruise that includes Turks and Caicos in the future.... have been loyal to Celebrity but we may need to branch out...... can I hijack my own thread to get your opinions? :)

jean - you have a good attitude! I will be 52 at the time of the climb.....so it is a good goal!

I see you have been on a lot of different cruise lines.....would love to get your opinion of Celebrity vs. Carnival vs. RCCL. We'd like to do a cruise that includes Turks and Caicos in the future.... have been loyal to Celebrity but we may need to branch out...... can I hijack my own thread to get your opinions? :)

Absolutely! I love all 3 lines for different reasons but my priority is price and ports. I love leaving out of San Juan and doing the southern islands which is why I like the Summit. And I just love St. Kitts. So much to do here. Been here 4 times and still haven't done everything on my bucket list for st. kitts.

Absolutely! I love all 3 lines for different reasons but my priority is price and ports. I love leaving out of San Juan and doing the southern islands which is why I like the Summit. And I just love St. Kitts. So much to do here. Been here 4 times and still haven't done everything on my bucket list for st. kitts.

Thanks Jean - so no hesitation on booking Carnival? I am not much of a partier - I just want good ports and clean room with a comfy bed. :)

Thanks Jean - so no hesitation on booking Carnival? I am not much of a partier - I just want good ports and clean room with a comfy bed. :)

I liked Carnival/ My husband and I are not picky and as long as the price is right and the bed is comfortable, we are happy. I would rather go on Celebrity Summit which doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles and do 5-6 ports than the

Oasis or Allure. I don't care about Central Park or bumper cars. I'd rather climb up a volcano or snorkel with turtles in st John. My favorite ships are any that leave out of Puerto Rico because 1. it is port intensive and 2. Culebra island before/after cruise.

My better half and I did Liamuiga with poinciana tours in January 2016. He was 58 when we did it...16 of us started the hike, and 14 of us finished. The two that didn't make it all the way were very unprepared. It was hard, but totally worth being able to say "I did it!" at the end. Nobody in our group fell and it made that pina coloda back on board the ship so worth it!

I did it at around age 52 thru the ship and had a hard time. I am an experienced hiker doing one 4thousand foot mountains a year but was unprepared for the torrential rains and mudslides. my husband almost slid off the mountain. On The cruise following mine someone broke their leg. the cruise lines no longer offer it.

I had a long talk with my cruising partner and BFF and we decided it wasn't worth the risk. We would both be in a world of hurt if we got injured and couldn't work after the cruise. I believe we will opt for the island tour with Royston instead. :) Thanks for all the advice!

• 1 month later...

We have done the volcano hike in St Kitts and the Pitons in St Lucia. Both are what I would consider difficult hikes. We are in relatively good shape, and work out at the gym 5 days a week. We are both early 50's. We finished both hikes but they were challenging. I am glad that we did them, but definitely prepare beforehand and get into shape.