Suggestions for diy with kids

028snowball

yes the Baths are a unique experience (see YouTube videos) and may be an option if you think the kids are up to it. With the young kids I'd recommend staying on Tortola and going to Brewers Bay or Cane Garden Bay for your day. Here's a thread with descriptions of the beaches and a webcam in CGB. CGB is a busier beach with several restaurants/beach bars and taxis will drop off many of your fellow cruisers there. Brewers is a nicer experirnce with one beach bar and is a good snorkeling beach. You may need your own snorkel gear though...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2451323

Safari taxi to either beach is $8 each way for adults, 1/2 fare for the kids.

Another option is an island tour, drivers at the pier offer 3 and 4 hr tours at reasonable prices, some with a 1 hr beach stop.

Yes there are some shops there in Crafts Alive. One of our favorites whenever we visit Tortola is the Sunny Caribbee spice & rub shop. Great spices and great gift packages for friends & family back home. You can also order from their site -

http://www.sunnycaribbee.com

We also like the clothing line at Pusser's Road Town Pub which is an zemglish-style Pub with good food and a store in the back and upstairs.

http://pussers.com/our-locations/pussers-road-town-pub/

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Tortola+Pier+Park,+Road+Town,+British+Virgin+Islands/Main+Street,+Across+from+the+Ferry+Dock,+Road+Town,+British+Virgin+Islands/@18.4218656,-64.6160686,16z/data=!4m8!4m7!1m2!1m1!1s0x8c0576ac611973d5:0x5ac3b508cb802706!1m2!1m1!1s0x8c057154d407c6e9:0xc955075730d34891!3e2

• 4 weeks later...
Brewers Bay was VERY rough when we were there with our daughter (7). The waves knocked us down and pulled us under. Facilities not so great either. We're looking for another beach for our upcoming cruise.

Yes that's too bad. The north shore beaches are gorgeous, and Brewers and CGB are usually very calm, but they can get quite rough with sea swells or high winds. There was a period of a few weeks recently where most of the popular beaches on Tortola, VG, Jost, and St John were closed or were covered by water due to huge swells.

Looking at the CGB webcam the water looks like glass today...

http://www.resortcams.com/webcams/cane-garden-bay/

Brewers is loved for its old Caribbean charm, and not changed by a large resort (yet). If you want a different beach on Tortola with nicer facilities the only choices are Long Bay and CGB. There really are no beaches with hotel or resort passes for day visitors other than Long Bay Beach Club which just has lounges for $5pp and a restaurant and rest rooms you can use.

Yes, Tortola is still not overly developed, and unless staying at one of the nicer resorts like Scrub Island or Frenchman's a day visitor is limited to the more popular beaches. CGB is probably the best choice for you.

Return for a longer visit and enjoy a nice stay at the Sugar Mill or another resort to enjoy the beauty of the island while staying in luxury.

• 4 weeks later...

We really enjoyed a visit to Brewer's Bay. It's an isolated beach with few amenities - not developed at all. Being off the beaten path the crowds are much smaller too. We were there the first week of June and there were maybe 20-30 people at the beach. There is a little restaurant/bar at one end with a bathroom, but that is it. We loved it. There also was decent snorkeling along the rocks.

• 4 weeks later...

How far is CGB from the cruise docks? (Disney) I have been to the port of Tortola many times but have never ventured out anywhere. I will be there in less than 2 weeks and am thinking of trying one of the beaches. I will have my 2 young boys (2 and 4) with me so ease of getting there is a must.

How far is CGB from the cruise docks? (Disney) I have been to the port of Tortola many times but have never ventured out anywhere. I will be there in less than 2 weeks and am thinking of trying one of the beaches. I will have my 2 young boys (2 and 4) with me so ease of getting there is a must.

It's great you'll finally be able to see some of the beauty that Tortola has to offer. Both Cane Garden Bay and Brewers Bay are a 20 minute taxi. You've probably seen the safari taxis taking folks from the dock, the fare for these shared taxis is $8pp for you, 3 yrs and younger ride free and 1/2 fare for the 4 yr old. You may want a private taxi for more comfort and a nicer ride for a little more $. The ladies at the visitor center can also help you locate a driver with car seats if needed. Taxis will return to pick you up for your return.

CGB is where most day visitors go because it is a larger bay, and there are multiple beach restaurants there. If going there I'd suggest renting lounges and an umbrella at Myett's. They also have the best food and a nice veranda. Tony's next door also has great food.

Brewers is a smaller Bay with a very nice beach and one beach bar and one restroom so it's much less crowded. Both beaches are typically very calm, but can be rougher depending on the conditions. Below is a link to a webcam at CGB, you can find videos of both beaches on YouTube.

http://www.resortcams.com/webcams/cane-garden-bay/

Do either sound like a good choice for you?