Memorable Restaurants Where We Have Dined Around the World

SnoBirdCruiser

OK Here I go...

Many were booked through our TA before we left Toronto a well as a lot by email and all were very leisurely meals.

In no particular order:

Lunch on the Terrace of Hotel Splendido Hotel in Portofino (our 40th anniv)

Late lunch at the Monaco-Grand Canal , Venice outside watching the Gondolas come and go.

Afternoon spent on top of Mt. Lemmon in Tucson, AZ having wine, cheese and bread.

Dining on top of a mountain at La Tagliata in Montepertuso – Positano and no other tourists there.(Our 50th annivs)

Sunday Brunch at Luca’s at the Caribbean Club in Grand Cayman.

Lunch at the beach restaurant at the Bali Grand Hyatt

Three hour Lunch at the Intercontinental Hotel, Lotus Pool, in Tahiti.

Baia Seafood Restaurant, Victoria Wharf, Cape Town.

Lunch at Doyles on the Beach, Watsons Bay, Sydney, AU.

Private winery tours all through New Zealand and Australia and some of the best Charcoutery Board Meals I have experienced.

Fish and Chips through out “Down Under”.

please list your favorite places where you have eaten so the rest of us may enjoy them as well if and when we visit or stay there.

Bon Appetit,

Pat

Edited by SnoBirdCruiser

Château de La Chèvre d’Or....Lunch in Eze France

Dining on top of Eiffel Tower Paris France

Fresh warm scones with clotted cream in Cornish

Warm cannoli in Siracusa Sicily

Al Fresco dining on Seadream in St. Barths harbor

Cipriani Hotel Venice Italy

Lunch at Belmond's Reid Palace Madeira Funchal

Fish and Chips Akaraoa NZ

Dinner and watching fireworks Peninsula hotel Hong Kong

Gelato in Portofino Italy

Alpino Vino Telluride CO highest restaurant in N. America

and many more.....

Edited by portofinoitaly

Quite a variety....

The verandah at Paris hotel in Las Vegas with wine, bread, Brie and warmed olives while watching the crowds in front of bellagi's fountains.

The iguana bar in curacao having beer and deep fried snacks while watching the crowds crossing the pontoon bridge. Food was okay, but the view is amazing. An cool water mists down from overhead to keep you refreshed on a hot day.

A variety of streetside restaurants and cafes in Washington DC on Connecticut Ave NW and Calvert St NW...Italian, Indian and the great Open City cafe around the corner. So much people watching all through the day and long into the evening!

Olives in the bellagio hotel, Las Vegas for great carpacio and a great view of the fountains.

Oh...best recently was the Bonavista Social Club in Bonavista, Newfoundland for fresh made wood fired pizza and hand rolled pasta with locally sourced good stuff...and a gorgeous sunset view over the water. A very special spot.

I wish I could remember the name, but a Greek restaurant on Los Olas Blvd in Fort Lauderdale for appetizers including an amazing fresh Greek hummus, olives and stuffed grape leaves whIle sitting out on the patio in the evening watching the crowds of shoppers in the fancy shops.

And coming up soon.....some restaurant or cafe on the beach in Grand Case, St Martin!

Our perfect vacation always involves a great cafe or patio with drinks and people to watch....or a nice sunset.

• 1 month later...
...........I wish I could remember the name, but a Greek restaurant on Los Olas Blvd in Fort Lauderdale for appetizers including an amazing fresh Greek hummus, olives and stuffed grape leaves whIle sitting out on the patio in the evening watching the crowds of shoppers in the fancy shops.....

Would that be Trata Greek Taverna?

• 4 weeks later...

OK Here I go...

Many were booked through our TA before we left Toronto a well as a lot by email and all were very leisurely meals.

In no particular order:

Lunch on the Terrace of Hotel Splendido Hotel in Portofino (our 40th anniv)

Late lunch at the Monaco-Grand Canal , Venice outside watching the Gondolas come and go.

Afternoon spent on top of Mt. Lemmon in Tucson, AZ having wine, cheese and bread.

Dining on top of a mountain at La Tagliata in Montepertuso – Positano and no other tourists there.(Our 50th annivs)

Sunday Brunch at Luca’s at the Caribbean Club in Grand Cayman.

Lunch at the beach restaurant at the Bali Grand Hyatt

Three hour Lunch at the Intercontinental Hotel, Lotus Pool, in Tahiti.

Baia Seafood Restaurant, Victoria Wharf, Cape Town.

Lunch at Doyles on the Beach, Watsons Bay, Sydney, AU.

Private winery tours all through New Zealand and Australia and some of the best Charcoutery Board Meals I have experienced.

Fish and Chips through out “Down Under”.

please list your favorite places where you have eaten so the rest of us may enjoy them as well if and when we visit or stay there.

Bon Appetit,

Pat

We haven't been many places but we are from Nova Scotia originally and I can say that the best clams and chips I have had is a little place called Jim's Pizza on the Bedford Hwy in Halifax -also has great fish and chips.

Best lobster roll - Halifax Airport - Legends Lounge (dollar for dollar way better than the ones you get in Peggy's cove - Jim's Pizza also sells lobster that is also better than Peggy's Cove (for those who go on the Canada/New England Cruise)

Best Pizza _Vegetarian only - Kuleano's - in Mwanza, Tanzania, Africa- baked in a wood-fired oven - very delicious and the money goes to homeless youth.

Halifax style Donairs- Centretown Donair and Pizza, Bronson Street, Ottawa, Ontario -

Best Ostrich Meatballs - Carnivore's- Nairobi, Africa

Best Ice- Cream - Four Corners ((huge cones ($2)- Cavendish, Prince Edward Island

Best Poutine (fries, gravy and cheese curds) - Anywhere in Quebec City

Escargot- Celebrity Summit menu

• 3 weeks later...

In no particular order:

Dinner at Broussard's in New Orleans

Dinner at Harbourside Restaurant in Auckland

Dinner at the Rainbow Grill in New York City ( a very long time ago)

Pre-dinner Sauvignon Blanc wine (a New Zealand label, of course) at Sunset followed by a delicious Lamb dinner at the Restaurant at the top of the Sky Tower in Auckland

2002 Holland America's Volendam: Asia Pacific Cruise---an intimate dinner hosted by the Officers for those of us full cruise passengers

1986: Christmas morning Breakfast in the MDR aboard the original Royal Princess

1980: Royal Viking Sky sailing out of New York for Copenhagen, the first night's dinner. I ordered a steak and it was, and still is, the best piece of beef that I have ever eaten!

1980: Royal Viking Sky: the special Midnight Buffet served in the MDR after we sailed by the North Cape.

1980 again: Copenhagen---After disembarking Royal Viking Sky and checking into our hotel, my traveling companion and I decided on a very "low-brow" dinner after all of the rich, delicious food that we had enjoyed. Near our hotel was a Burger King. A Whopper and Fries sounded just right. We "dined" there and I was very surprised that I could order a Beer with my burger and fries. Also surprising was the cost of the burger and fries!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

On a cruise: Regal Princess Winemaker's Table - excellent service, excellent food (especially for a ship), pleasant company and conversation with people we'd never met, enjoyable wine & other drinks.

In a Port: Your Father's Mustache in Halifax - very pleasant service, good drinks, fresh good tasting food

Close to home: Turkey Hill Brew Pub - amazing burgers, nice atmosphere, pleasant service

Surprisingly good - simple sandwich picnic lunch on the Freeport Kayak excursion, and most of the food items at the Maryland Renaissance Festival (it's been a few years, so apologies if they've changed)

Honorable mention: I can't remember the name, but when we lived in MD we went to our first Brazilian BBQ (not sure how to spell it 😉 ) in the Bethesda/Rockville area.  The meats being cooked over the wood were amazing, and great service.  I think we had a 3 hour lunch 🙂 We naively tried NCL's version and were so disappointed that I'm hesitant to try any chain but might try again if we find a local independent.

Not exactly a restaurant, but, the Crayfish Cookoff in Westwego LA. at the farmers market. One low price to get in and eat all of the best prepared crayfish in the world by people vying to win the championship. Unfortunately this only happens one day a year during spring.,  

• Like 1

Dining onboard the TS Bremen, The SS France and the TS Leonardo DaVinci...all were incredible.  The best pizza I ever ate anywhere in the world was served every night at 2:00 AM onboard the Leonardo DaVinci.  We have dined at many great restaurants but none compared to our great times dining at sea.  

• 4 months later...

El Toro in San Francisco many years ago.  Incredibly tasty fresh Mexican food in a spotlessly clean little restaurant.  Nothing nouveau, pretentious or gimmicky; nothing cooked in a pig bladder, etc.

A small Bolivian restaurant in Seattle at Pike Place with the best empanadas I have ever had.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 9:14 AM, Bookish Angel said:

Nothing nouveau, pretentious or gimmicky; nothing cooked in a pig bladder, etc.

Had to chuckle.  I don't think there are any Mexican restaurants/dishes that are any of those things.  And I eat a goodly amount of Mexican food.

• 2 months later...

Vaike Rataskaevu 16 in Tallinn great modern Estonian food

Adelaide's Orana, expensive, but worth every penny

Med Malina Kosice Slovakia

Chaya Maya Merida Mexico

Lanterna Podgorica Montenegro

Ono Hawaiian Foods, this one unfortunately is closed now

I don't remember its name but there was Sami restaurant that we had one of the best dinners in all of Norway.

I know the question is specifically about restaurants but in terms of memorable meals, I had some of the best poke from a deli in Kauai that had every variety of poke you could think of and in Raiatea there was a supermarket that has ready made meals that were homemade and so delicious. Also the Papeete Sunday market had amazing food that ended up being our breakfast and lunch.

• 1 month later...

Isle of Palms, South Carolina

Having a light lunch with some white wine. sitting in the surf and sand, next to the woman I was falling in love with. I hoped the day would never end. But we then sat on a dock on the other side of the island, waiting to get dinner, watching the sunset, enjoying a few apps from the dockside restaurant and more wine. We never did go inside for dinner! The best day, food, atmosphere and company I will ever remember. 

• Like 1

-El Celler de Can Roca, Girona Spain
-Tickets, Barcelona Spain
-Per se, New York USA
-WD-50, New York USA
-Daniel Boulud Bistro Moderne, Singapore & New York USA
-L'atelier du Joël Robuchon, Singapore & Bangkok Thailand 
-Guy Savoy, Singapore
-Gaggan, Bangkok Thailand
-Nahm, Bangkok Thailand
-La Rotisserie d'en Face Jaques Gagna, Paris France

• Like 1