what is there to do?

Blue262

I sort of posted this question under someone else's trip report and realized I would get a better response if I made it my own thread. So...forgive me if you have seen it before.

We are going on the PG 4/15 to 4/29/2017 (14 days) Tahiti, Moorea, Taha'a, Bora Bora, Cook Islands, Tonga, Fiji Islands cruise.

I am familiar only with Caribbean cruises, where you can book excursions or walk off the ship on your own and visit local beaches, markets, villages, etc. We tend not to like crowded, cattle car excursions.

Is it possible to tender-in ( I don't see where we dock very much on this trip) and find local beaches and things to see/do on our own or is it necessary to book an excursion each day?

If we must book excursions each day, what are your favorites?

We really want to do this trip right, but really don't know what to expect each day and reading this board leads me to think its: sit on the ship or book an excursion.

I know you have probably gotten this question hundreds of times on this board, so again forgive my duplicity.

My recommendations

Huahine take Marc's tour Huahine Nautique

Bora Bora take the ships circumnavigation with Maohi Nui. The safari is also good. Make sure you visit the BB Motu....tenders will take you there.

Moorea. Marc Eddowes trail of the ancients.

Aitutaki Lagoon Cruise either ship or. Teking

Rarotonga....land excursion.

Tonga I hear snorkelling is good but we took a ships tour to a beach with lunch and kids performing.

Fiji my daughter took the ships tour. Visit to a village. We also did a cultural tour with dancing and walking on hot coals. I did some shopping in Fiji...yellow pearls and pistachio pearls.

Others will be sure to chime in with suggestions.

I just looked at your coming trip. Two things popped out immediately. You will have two guest lecturers I am familiar with. Denis Schneider is a passionate and educated advocate for the coral. Mark Eddowes is an expert on Polynesian culture. Both are phenomenally excellent.

I'm not familiar with any of the "Guest Hosts" but they all look intriguing. Perhaps especially John Hay.

The company behind the PG is passionate about preserving the Polynesian culture, and about the ecosystem of our planet. These three certainly are consistent with their values.

Regarding excursions the PG, as opposed to some cruise lines, don't badly rip off their passengers who choose to do excursions and tours through them instead of booking privately. Of course, you can always go to the roll call at this site and see what private excursions are being organised by your fellow passengers.

Enjoy! This looks like a particularly scrumptious cruise.

When we did the Fiji cruise Mark Eddowes did a particularly interesting series on the movement of the Lapita people. I may consider a Fiji trip in a future year just to hear him again!

Is it possible to tender-in ( I don't see where we dock very much on this trip) and find local beaches and things to see/do on our own or is it necessary to book an excursion each day?

I assumed somebody else would answer this question, but since nobody has I'll give it a try.

Yes, you can tender in and just wander around if you wish. I've never been to the Cooks (booked for this October) or Fiji. But of the others, there isn't much to see at Moorea by walking, regardless of which bay the PG docks in for your trip. Bora Bora is marginally interesting for a couple of hours.

Many folks believe Bora Bora is the most beautiful spot in the world. We let them think that, so what is actually the most beautiful spot in the world, Moorea, isn't overrun.

A highly recommend doing a tour while you're in Moorea. Anything that gets you up onto the belvedere is good: the view is spectacular. And if Dr. Poole is offering a chance to see whatever is around in the sea that day, that is also excellent. We've seen spinner dolphins, humpback whales, and more with him

Blue262 we have a similar cruise history to Y'all. Been to the Caribbean many times, usually on small ship SeaDream. We also avoid anything involving a bus. No matter how many times the guide/driver says "The bus is leaving promptly at Noon", there are always some morons dawdling back at 12:20 or later knowing full well they will not be left. So, before I start with our opinions on what to do, we have only sailed PG once. Will not be back as long as Air Tahiti Nui is involved and yes, I know about the other options. Back to your original question. I have wanted to see French Polynesia since first reading Mitchener in Jr. High. It is true that FP is one of the most beautiful places on earth......From the ship. Ashore not so much. Again, this is our opinion, your mileage may vary but we find the British Virgin Islands just as pretty if not more so and with many more things to do. There are beautiful beaches in FP but not so much where you can just wander off the ship and walk to as in the Caribbean where most ports have some nice beach close by. Also, without at least a car or a cab you will not see much ashore. Hence the abundance of guided tours. A little shopping and possibly the odd beach bar near by but most worth seeing (Bloody Mary's Bar on Bora Bora for example) are quite a ways from the tender dock. A tour or a cab would be necessary. In all, our experience on the PG was wonderful. FP was one of those "glad we did it but probably won't be back" places. Have been back to the BVI several times since FP and have to say again that, for us, it is way more "bang for the buck" and to our way of poking around. Enjoy your time on PG. It is one of those "must do" trips. :cool:

Interesting Jim Avery ....

Keep in mind you've only been to FP once.

This July will be trip #18 fro me and #21 for my BH. I mention this as I know the islands well as do a few others on this forum. I can not speak of Tonga and Fiji but I can for FP and the Cooks.

Tahiti - Your in the middle of PPT on embarkation day, plenty of stuff to do, no need to find a beach or book an excursion.

Moorea - If the ship moors in Cook's Bay your in easy walking distance of the main village (less than a mile) on the island, just go to your left. Go to your right and it's an easy walk to Club Bali Hai where there is a cute little lagoon side cafe with an incredible view of Bali Hai, along the way are several Boutiques. There are several local vendors set up at either tender location. If the ship moors in the other bay your under a mile walk to a great jewelry/pearl shop (Emieo) and the Juice Factory, a place where almost every island tour stops. Your also within 1.5 miles of Magic Mountain with incredible views. I haven't even mention you can easily grab a local bus and go anywhere on the island for 2 bucks including 2 public beaches with snorkeling.

Tahaa - No need to book an excursion, you've got Motu Mahana for beach fun all day and a BBQ lunch ........... for free!

Bora Bora - You can take the shuttle for $5 bucks to Matira Beach, often voted one of the best beaches in all the world. There are several cafes and a market all close by the beach. You can also sk to be dropped off at Bloody Mary's on the $5 shuttle. At the tender drop off your located in Viatape, the largest town on the island. PG also has there beach on Bora Bora which is free and includes a basic 'bar'. The location just happens to be the place where the classic pictures used for Bora Bora marketing are taken from.

Aitutaki - the tender drop off location is in the main village where you will find some cafes and small boutiques. Your also at the place where all the locals converge and fish from the land. Go either direction from town and you will find a place to swim and relax. 1 mile to your right and you will find the location where Survivor Cook Islands had the tribal council. Another good option is to rent a scooter, very cheap and Aitutaki has very little traffic, pretty safe.

Rarotonga - tender drop off is 1/4 mile from the main village center ehere there is great shopping. Local bus transportation is very cheap, you can go over to Muri Beach, the mecca for beach worshipers. You will find cafes and shade everywhere around Muri Beach. Ask the bus driver to drop you off at "Fruits of Rarotonga". A place to eat, and across the street there is covered shade along the lagoon. And just so you know the lagoon right in front of the shade is the official Marine reserve, need I say more.

So as you can see there are all sorts of things to see and do an the cheap. Yes taking some excursions is a good thing here and there but the days you wish not to take an excursion, no problem finding things to do.

Excursions - On Moorea think land, an ATV tour is great. Bora Bora it's all about the lagoon. The ships lagoon tour with beach BBQ is great. On Aitutaki a lagoon tour. Rarotonga is all about Muri Beach/Marine reserve or Pa, the nature walk guy.

I'll conclude by saying I've been to the Caribbean 5 times. Though nice it is way more crowded than FP at least on the major islands. I find the locals to be pushy and in your face when getting off your ship. This sort of behavior does not happen in FP nor the Cooks. Local vendors are polite and offer great information, they are not pushy nor aggressive. My BH will not return to the Caribbean for this reason. The only exception was on Saint Barts but as we all know SB is different than the rest and Virgin Gorda. In all fairness the Caribbean we visit is not Saint Johns.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Thanks 1

Tahiti,

Not trying to start any wars here. You obviously love FP and are fortunate enough to indulge your love. I used to run ships and have been to many nice and not so nice places on this rock. When traveling for fun, The PITA of getting somewhere counts more than money to us. As well, I am a bit over third world experiences. Where we go in the Caribbean is uncrowded. Typically it would be Jost van Dyke, Norman Island, Necker Island, Anguilla, etc. The most crowded being St Barts. The OP asked about getting off and walking about. You have to admit "aint much there" for that sort of time off the ship. Enjoy your love of FP, as we loved being able to see it. As I have said in other places, if PG sailed in other venues we would book again in a second. The choices out there are endless. Somewhere for all of us to love....:D

Jim,

Agree there are no big public beaches as you stroll off a tender in FP but the beaches are there if you know where to go and are inexpensive.

The beaches around the ship dock areas in most of the major Caribbean islands seemed to be very crowed, heck you can have 3 or 4 huge ships unloading 10,000 passengers.

Been to Jost van Dyke, very nice. Saint Barts is very busy around the main areas but I felt safe ...... as did we on Virgin Gorda.

Saint Martin was dirty on the Southern Dutch side where the ships dock (Philpsburg).

Basseterre on St. Kitts was scary walking off the ship and through the mob of aggressive locals.

All I was trying to share is there is plenty to do on your own on the cruise they will be on, you just need to know where to go and how to get there.

Peace ...

Tahiti,

Not trying to start any wars here. You obviously love FP and are fortunate enough to indulge your love. I used to run ships and have been to many nice and not so nice places on this rock. When traveling for fun, The PITA of getting somewhere counts more than money to us. As well, I am a bit over third world experiences. Where we go in the Caribbean is uncrowded. Typically it would be Jost van Dyke, Norman Island, Necker Island, Anguilla, etc. The most crowded being St Barts. The OP asked about getting off and walking about. You have to admit "aint much there" for that sort of time off the ship. Enjoy your love of FP, as we loved being able to see it. As I have said in other places, if PG sailed in other venues we would book again in a second. The choices out there are endless. Somewhere for all of us to love....:D

Love all the islands you mention but haven't been on Necker. I felt that Jost had too many yachts moored though fond memories of the Painkillers! St.Barts ...great shopping with all the French stores yes more crowded and too many yachts.

Have you been to the Turks? Really want to go but I think you can only go April or May as the water is cold.

But for all that I ❤️ FP and the PG. I feel the atolls are still unspoilt. The lagoons have a charm of their own. Since I cannot swim, snorkel or dive it is the perfect for me.

As for bang for your buck that is a relative question ....as DH says money is as valuable as the value one personally ascribes to it.

For everything else there is a credit card....the PG though is priceless!

We rented bikes on Bora Bora right across from where the tender docked. We were able to ride all around the island in a couple of hours stopping at Bloody Mary's, view points and taking a look at an over the water bungalow. I needed to walk the bike twice for a hill with gravel and road construction. We are not the most physically active so it's doable. We rented bikes on Moorea but turned them in early since we felt the traffic was too heavy.

The beauty of FP is in the water so scuba, snorkeling and swimming is the "best" way to view the scenery. Our adult daughter who accompanied us on 3 of our PG cruise did all this and brought back beautiful photos of her experiences.

The Gaugines on the ship add so much of your experience of FP, please take the time to speak to them and attend their events. Mark Eddowes is a must for learning about the South Pacific. He sometimes out draws the entertainment!

Be open to allure of the Pacific! We are going back in June for our 9th cruise.

Edited by Cruisedreamer1
more details

Once you get on board, you'll have a listing of events and lectures for the next day. One of the lectures is a run down of the next port. They will tell you where the tender will drop you off, and what you can do on your own from there, as well as what excursions are available. We found the ship's excursions to be reasonably priced for what we got, and enjoyed Mark Eddowes lectures as well as having him as a guide on several of our excursions. If you want to avoid the ship's excursions, you can check the roll call for your cruise, or ask around once you get on board. We found almost everyone to be friendly on board. We've been to the Caribbean many times, and have spent a lot of time in the Bahamas. We decided to go back to FP after 20 years to see if it had become as overcrowded with tourists as the Bahamas and Caribbean, and we weren't disappointed.

I've been to the Carribean and Bermuda more times than I can can count.. and Cozumel in Mexico at least a dozen times.

That said, I have made one trip to FP and for my big birthday trip coming up, I have selected it again.

I am a diver, and underwater, even if you are just snorkeling, it's different and nothing you have ever seen before. Aside from the sharks galore, the giant mantas are the most amazing creatures!

Last time I was in FP in was in economy class from New York with three kids under the age of 15, one with ADHD.

This time, just the two of us, and in business class. Yet, given the passage of time,I will say that I did find travel a lot less wearing then! Still not to throw in the towel on long distance travel. My last long flight was from Bangkok to New York with a broken hip.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and experiences. I really value the diversity of opinions. I'm sure everyone's advice will enhance our first FP/PG experience as we will be following much of it. Thanks again.