Puerto Vallarta - To do just outside the port terminal.

mnsweeps

I have been to PV many years back with my wife and daughter and we did some tour (tequila, Predator) and all that. This time I will have my parents in their 80s and my 12 yr old daughter with me. They are not interested in any of these tours but would love to have a feel of PV just outside the terminal. Is there any place we can just walk to, take some rest , do some people watching, grab some snacks, get a few knick-knacks like magnets and then walk back to ship?

Yes. There is a tourist center with a restaurant, a couple dozen shops and usually some mariachi's right at the pier. How close it is depends on which pier you dock at.

You can easily take a shuttle, cab or bus to and from the malecon and get a much better taste of PV.

Cheers.

You will find a Walmart, Sams and Galeria Mall opposit the terminal. Near pier nr. 1 there is a small fleamarket. Not realy that interesting I think..

At the pier you will see ceretified guides/drivers offering tours at a decent rate.

Apart from that you can also get a nice impression and take a cab to old town, services are also offered at the pier. Outside the pier you will see yellow cabs, they a little cheaper. You can then walk the Malecon and have a drink or lunch at Playa Los Muertos.

On the way back take a yellow cab, but always make your price before entering.

We like going to the Mercado behind Sam's Club. It's located at the first traffic light up the street. Usually we're the only people from the ship. About 1/2 mile walk total, there are taxis waiting at the Mercado.

It's not touristy in any way. Lots of local produce and restaurants around the edges. Meat shops inside. We like to eat at the huaraches (a type of tostada), getting some tortillas and salsa for the ship and then going across the street to the dulceria (candy store). There's a very good Agua Fresca stall inside the Mercado, some normal but many unusual flavors as well. (Plum was good, spearmint/peppermint was odd). We pay in pesos, usually getting them from Walmart (paying in American, change back in pesos.

Buy souvenirs at Walmart or the flea market at the port.

ETA-when are you going? It will be hot and humid. It's the worst along the roadway near port.

There is a restaurant right at the port that's just a short walk to get to. It's called El Bucanero. Since my 85 YO dad can't really do any tours, he takes his scooter there with us and we get Margaritas and chips/salsa/guacamole. They have a nice outside patio.

It gets him off the ship and is a fun way to spend a couple of hours.

ETA: There is also a large flea market right there to get souvenirs.

Thanks folks. we are going next week Apr 2 - 9 . I think I would take the yellow taxi (outside the gate, walk left towards main road to get one , per instructions I got ) to HOTEL ROSITA. Then walk the Malecon for about 2 hours and then take a yellow cab back. Let me know if thats correct.

Also whats the negotiated yellow cab fare to Old Town (El Centro?) ?

Thanks folks. we are going next week Apr 2 - 9 . I think I would take the yellow taxi (outside the gate, walk left towards main road to get one , per instructions I got ) to HOTEL ROSITA. Then walk the Malecon for about 2 hours and then take a yellow cab back. Let me know if thats correct.

Also whats the negotiated yellow cab fare to Old Town (El Centro?) ?

Yes that is right. Yellow cab from the port (near the gasstation Pemex or at the supermarket Soriana) to Hotel Rosita will be around Pesos 80.-

They can have 4 persons at the most. A van since you travel with more persons will charge a little more. Due to high gas prices sometimes they want a little more. Be aware not allcabs have airco or donot use it, but then the windows will be open.

On your return it will be the same, unless you travel from old town/ the other side of Rio Cuale, then it will be at least Pesos 100,- (Still of course cheap!).

At all times make your rate before entering the cab!

Have a great time.

Ine,

A bit off topic but your knowledge is immense...

I got 17.5 Pesos per dollar for upcoming cruise.

What are current exchange rates asked from restaurants, street vendors and water sports.

Do you have suggestions for negotiating fair prices for both us and vendors?

Thanks

Ine,

A bit off topic but your knowledge is immense...

I got 17.5 Pesos per dollar for upcoming cruise.

What are current exchange rates asked from restaurants, street vendors and water sports.

Do you have suggestions for negotiating fair prices for both us and vendors?

Thanks

The exchange rate is changing rather often nowadays. About 2 month ago we got 20 Pesos for 1 US$. At the moment it is just above 17 Pesos, depending the shop or bank. Vendors often give less since they need to go to a bank in their freetime. I know often long lines in the bank, so I can understand that. Shops and restaurant almost all post what their rate is. The best rates however will be given by ATM;s.

It has been suggested when we are there to be sure and go to Zona Romantica. How far is this from the pier. What is there? We are more interested in "old town" than the newer touristy areas.

Thanks!

Old town or Zona Romantica is a few miles of the terminal. Easy to get to by bus or cab. Check this excellent website that gives very good maps so you can see where the cruise terminal is (north of hotelzone) and a few maps down you will see Malecon and more south old town. http://vallartainfo.com/#