Is Aquaphor considered a "liquid" to TSA.

Mooses96

So we're leaving KCI for FLL in just 3 short weeks from now. I've already started packing my bags (I'm a big planner). I really just want to know if Aquaphor counts as a "liquid", because it's not something that would ever pour out, its basically a petroleum healing jelly/ointment. I REALLY want to bring it because I get bad sunburns often (Dang my lack of melanin). But I know the jar I currently have is over 10 oz, let alone 3.4oz.

It's not just liquids that are subject to the 3-1-1 rule. Aerosols, gels creams and pastes are also restricted by the rule. Your 10+ ounce jar will not be allowed in your carry on. Note that there is an exception for prescription medications.

Here is the TSA's explanation:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/liquids-rule

"You are allowed to bring a quart-sized bag of liquids, aerosols, gels, creams and pastes in your carry-on bag and through the checkpoint. These are limited to travel-sized containers that are 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) or less per item. Placing these items in the small bag and separating from your carry-on baggage facilitates the screening process. Pack items that are in containers larger than 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters in checked baggage.

Any liquid, aerosol, gel, cream or paste that alarms during screening will require additional screening."

Physicians can write a prescription for OTC meds. If your doctor agrees that this ointment is medically necessary for your skin type and anticipated exposure to sun, ask for a prescription. Then you will have the pharmacy label on the container and can take it in carry-on. Otherwise check a bag, or buy it in FLL.

TSA says you an bring medically necessary liquids and creams in excess of 3.4 oz, but they don't really specify what that means. Does it mean it needs an Rx label? Who knows?! The reality is it will end up being the decision of whatever agent happens to be doing your screening. One might let it through, another might insist it needs an Rx label, another might insist it needs a signed affidavit from your doctor. :rolleyes:

TSA says you an bring medically necessary liquids and creams in excess of 3.4 oz, but they don't really specify what that means. Does it mean it needs an Rx label? Who knows?!

No you don't need an RX label, TSA are not doctors. You must declare before screening that you have an item that is a medically necessary and identify it to the TSO. That item must be allowed to be inspected and tested.

There are YouTube videos of someone taking medically necessary Juice on board in containers very much larger than 3.4oz. Your person and/or other belongings will also be subject to additional screening.

That said, you could also face the possibility of TSA not allowing it due to screener discretion or not "remembering" the rules or just delaying you enough you miss your flight.

You can also contact TSA 866-289-9673 before your trip to go over this, reference http://blog.tsa.gov/2014/09/tsa-travel-tips-traveling-with.html

Not agreeing with this bu and this checkpoint is contracted out not government employees at SFO

What about your check in bag, unless you need it enflight?

bon voyage

We actually voted not to bring any checked bags - just for the off chance it doesn't make it to the ship with us! From the sounds of it, I'll probably just scoop some into a smaller container!

Another quick question though, do I need to have the clear bag ready to take out at the checking screen at the airport? My suitcase doesn't have pockets, but my SO's bag does, so I'm debating on whether I should put it in my one suitcase (I'm not even planning on bringing a purse) or in his.

I really just want to know if Aquaphor counts as a "liquid", because it's not something that would ever pour out, its basically a petroleum healing jelly/ointment.
It's not just liquids that are subject to the 3-1-1 rule. Aerosols, gels creams and pastes are also restricted by the rule.
A useful rule of thumb is this: If you can pour it, spray it or smear it, it's caught by the rule.

We actually voted not to bring any checked bags - just for the off chance it doesn't make it to the ship with us! From the sounds of it, I'll probably just scoop some into a smaller container!

Another quick question though, do I need to have the clear bag ready to take out at the checking screen at the airport? My suitcase doesn't have pockets, but my SO's bag does, so I'm debating on whether I should put it in my one suitcase (I'm not even planning on bringing a purse) or in his.

Unless you have TSA Precheck privileges, your 3-1-1 ("kippie") bag has to be taken out of your carry on for screening. Each passenger is allowed just one 3-1-1 bag, so if your 3-1-1 is going to be in your SO's carry on have them take yours out and hand it to you just before you put your possessions on the table and belt to be screened. You can then give it back to your SO after you pass through the TSA checkpoint.

No you don't need an RX label, TSA are not doctors....

That said, you could also face the possibility of TSA not allowing it due to screener discretion or not "remembering" the rules or just delaying you enough you miss your flight.

That's what I meant by "who knows?!" Officially, no Rx label is required but anyone who travels a lot knows that individual TSA agents are prone to apply their own rules and definitions to things. And ultimately it is up to the agent that you encounter when you travel.

I always carry both Rx and non-RX medications that are liquids or gels--DayQuil and NyQuil gel caps, a couple of nasal sprays, Claritan gel caps, a couple packets of Neosporin, I'm sure there are a couple more things in the bag, plus my EpiPen and inhalers. I don't take any of it out and it's never been questioned.

That said, I would probably not try to bring such a large package of Aquaphor. I've seen it in a 3.4 ox/100 ml size. Why not get that size and pack it in the 3-1-1 bag?

As the others have said, I'd also invest in a higher SPF sunscreen. I use SPF 50 spray on when we were in French Polynesia. I burn very easily, and I didn't burn at all there as I was scrupulous about wearing the sunscreen and also invested in a couple of reef shirts with built in SPF.

You can also stop by a store in FLL and pick up a jar of Aquaphor before you head to the port.

This. We often fly with carry on only and I have a list of what I will pick up once I get to my destination city. I assume that you aren't flying in the day of your cruise and will have time to stop by CVS, Walgreen's or whichever chain is closest to your hotel.