Westjet flight, disappearing or still there?

cuterlmt

I have a cruise out of Vancouver in August, 2017, returning to Vancouver on 9-11, staying there for a couple days, then back to our home airport in ABQ on 9-13. I have been looking at flights returning to our home airport. I found the one I wanted, and have just been watching it, and waiting to buy our tickets, hoping for a "sale". Today and yesterday when I went to WestJet website, I could not find the flight. And I couldn't get it to come up on Travelocity either. But today, it comes up on Expedia as still there. If I purchase the tickets now, and they decide to cancel the flight, that will make us change our plans. We want to spend most of a full day in Vancouver on the last day and the flight out of YVR is at 425pm. I also don't want to take a flight first thing in the morning. We could fly out of Seattle - we are flying in to Seattle on 8-27, and taking the Amtrak train that evening to Vancouver. But I would rather spend that last day in Vancouver.

Can anyone give me a good idea about how likely it is that the flight gets cancelled and we have to figure something else out? I think I prefer to buy the ticket from the airline, instead of through Expedia. But obviously, if the flight isn't there, I won't be able to.

Just as a caveat, we haven't flown in years. We usually drive or take Amtrak. So I'm not as familiar with pricing and all of the things that come along with flying.

Thank you for your help.

1. When flights sell out, those flights are now longer listed on the airlines websites. So typically reply #1 is the flight may well be sold out.

2. Just because a airline ticket broker lists a flight for sell, does not mean that when you attempt to book the flight, they won't come back and say it's no longer available, and then attempt to rebook you on a different flight.

Replied to your post in NCL board.

I think WJ had that flight on as part of a codeshare. Maybe there is a limit to the number of tickets WJ can sell on that flight. Do not know how Expedia uses the WJ flight number but maybe they are just matching what WJ was selling for. In any case, the flight (will be a different number than WJ) is operated by Compass under American Eagle, so if you want to book directly with airline, then check American Eagle or Compass.

Cheers!

Your cruise is about 4 1/2 months away and you will be flying to/from Vancouver/Seattle where it is the height of the summer tourist and Alaska cruising season. You are very late to the party to purchase air, the cheaper fare buckets are long gone. Start searching Google Flights or ITA Matrix and when you see a price you can live with, take it. ITA does not sell flights, find what you want and purchase from the airline. There is no advantage to buying air from Expedia, aside from the small service charge, they would be acting as a travel agent and be an intermediary between you and the airline. Better to cut out the middleman in case of any irregularities.

I have been looking at flights returning to our home airport. I found the one I wanted, and have just been watching it, and waiting to buy our tickets, hoping for a "sale".

As I often say, hope is not a strategy.

That ticket is already low priced for the routing and for the season. Just how much were you trying to save with a "sale"? Why should you expect a "sale"? What would you think if, instead of grabbing this now, you find the price has gone up $50? $75? $100? Or sells out. If you are trying to save $20 or $30 (how much lower can this ticket get, realistically?) and run the risk of double or triple that in increases on the other side of the risk coin, what's your expected return? Finally, even if there is a "sale", there is no assurance that YOUR flight and dates will offer any savings.

Today and yesterday when I went to WestJet website, I could not find the flight.

If you are talking about WS1698 connecting to WS5566, it is available for sale on the WS website. Not sure why you can't find it.

If I purchase the tickets now, and they decide to cancel the flight, that will make us change our plans.

Semantics rears its ugly head. Are you talking "cancel" in terms of overall schedule change or your specific flight on that specific date? The former is always possible, though less likely the closer to departure. The latter is usually due to a mechanical or staffing issue and cannot be predicted. Would happen on the relative spur of the moment.

We want to spend most of a full day in Vancouver on the last day and the flight out of YVR is at 425pm.

That is the last flight out of YVR that will arrive in ABQ without an overnight. Given that you have to make your way to YVR, go through USA immigrations and customs, that doesn't leave a "full day" in Vancouver. In fact, you have IMO just the morning and lunch hour.

The other issue you should be aware of is that you will have to change terminals at LAX. Westjet will arrive at T3 and AA will depart from T4/5. You will have a security screening as well. Your 1:46 connect time will be enough, but you will have some distance to travel.

So...hope this didn't come across as harsh but as realistic. Buy that ticket if the time issues work for you. You're unlikely to save any kind of significant money waiting for a "sale" that may never occur for your flight. Don't obsess over the possibility of a change.