Broken leg..non weight bearing

kbalonis

New to the scooter scene so I have a few questions. We are sailing on the allure in two weeks. I know there are two main companies for renting but is one better than the other? Also..will be getting off the boat in Cozumel with the family. Original plan was to rent a jeep and tour the island then off to a beach to snorkel. Does RCC have wheelchairs to borrow just to get me off the boat so we can rent a car and tour the island?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

> I know there are two main companies for renting but is one better than the other?

Ask 4 different people and you will get 6 different answers. ;) Mostly, I see good comments on both. Occasionally I see negative comments about one or the other but haven't seen a pattern (such as most negative comments were about one company).

> Does RCC have wheelchairs to borrow just to get me off the boat so we can rent a car and tour the island?

No. You can request a wheelchair and assistance to embark and disembark only. For ports, you are on your own - one of the reasons I rented a scooter for my first cruise and now have my own scooter to come with me on our upcoming Alaska cruise.

Depending on your budget and desire to participate in excursions, you might consider buying a cheap portable scooter. One of the other members just mentioned in the Air Hawk thread (I think) that she found a $500 scooter that was very easy to take apart and she is taking that on her upcoming cruise. The rental scooters are great, and if you have time, you could always scoot off the ship and have someone in your party take it back to your room, but if you want to have a scooter with you on the excursion, a folding or take-apart scooter is probably your best bet. Have a great cruise!

kbalonis,

I have experience with Care Vacations. I think the other company is very good as well. If you choose to rent a scooter, make sure it will fit in the room. (Like an Accessible stateroom) Or that the door is wide enough etc. I have used them enough times to own a scooter. MOST of the time you get a scooter that's tip top. IF you don't you'll find it's usable enough. So even though you'll be able to put weight on your leg you don't know how long you'll be able to last doing that. Rent a scooter it's worth it.

Where is your leg broken?

If below the knee, if you aren't getting a regular scooter, have you considered one of those little "knee scooters"? You rest the knee of the bad leg on it, and off you go.

At least on the ship, it might make getting around a bit easier.

Good luck.

My leg is broken right below the knee. However the incision went down my kneecap so one of those push scooters is not possible unfortunately. Just trying to make the most of it. Will definitely be a more relaxing trip. Thanks to everyone for your help

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You may want to have a basic wheelchair to use at times. There is one on Amazon for a reasonable price called "Drive Medical Blue Streak Wheelchair with Flip Back Desk Arms, Swing Away Footrests, 18" Seat" The issue is that it does not state what the weight limit is for use. It might be worth having, just for convenience.