No show travel companion

I have made a booking on P&O Australia for a short domestic cruise. I am probably travelling alone, but at time of booking the P&O rep suggested adding another passenger in case. Now that it is closer to time, I probably am going alone. I understand that I will not get a refund, but is it better for me to contact them and change to a single room - paying a lot more - or just leaving the passenger on there and making them a no-show at boarding. I have seen in the forums that this seems to be a suggestion, but has anyone ever had to do this.

I have made a booking on P&O Australia for a short domestic cruise. I am probably travelling alone, but at time of booking the P&O rep suggested adding another passenger in case. Now that it is closer to time, I probably am going alone. I understand that I will not get a refund, but is it better for me to contact them and change to a single room - paying a lot more - or just leaving the passenger on there and making them a no-show at boarding. I have seen in the forums that this seems to be a suggestion, but has anyone ever had to do this.

The no show is probably better . It would depend on the Single supplement cost . If it is 200% then doing a no show would be the same your sole fair.

Why would you want to pay extra for a single? Prior to January P&O used to have a single supplement but they no longer do it so it is often cheaper to book a twin (and pay for 2) than a single in the same cabin. There is no such thing as a "single" cabin on the ships in Australia. The cabins are for 2, 3 or 4 passengers so you get the same cabin. There are no studio cabins to my knowledge.

I have seen prices where a single price is way dearer than paying for twins. Go figure. I too have been advised by P&O to book a twin and have a no show because there is a limit to the number of single passengers allowed. Now I try to find some family member to take advantage of what becomes a free trip for them.

The only drawback booking twin is that you will only get half of the OBC if the other one is a no show. The OBC does not get transferred to the travelling person. Saw a few people arguing this with reception on my last cruise. Quite a few had gone down this path.

Happy sailing. :cool: