Pirate Night- Magic v. Fantasy

eva2015

We just booked a January 2018 cruise on the Fantasy (7-nt Eastern Caribbean). I was looking at the Personal Navigators from this past January to get an idea of what we might have for a schedule. Looks like Pirate party at 7:45pm and fireworks not until 10:15.

We got off Magic about 10 days ago (5-nt Western Caribbean). The Pirate party was at 7:30pm with fireworks immediately following.

Anyone know why the Pirate Party/Fireworks are different on the Magic v. Fantasy?

We just booked a January 2018 cruise on the Fantasy (7-nt Eastern Caribbean). I was looking at the Personal Navigators from this past January to get an idea of what we might have for a schedule. Looks like Pirate party at 7:45pm and fireworks not until 10:15.

We got off Magic about 10 days ago (5-nt Western Caribbean). The Pirate party was at 7:30pm with fireworks immediately following.

Anyone know why the Pirate Party/Fireworks are different on the Magic v. Fantasy?

The original set up on the Magic class ships was the Pirate party following late dinner (around 9:00) followed by the fireworks. This pirate show was a Mickey and friends being overtaken by "bad guy" pirates, but ultimately being saved by Captain Mickey.

On the Dream class ships, there is a family friendly pirate show between the dinner seatings. This is a Mickey and friends pirate show. Then there is a Jack Sparrow-type pirate show after second seating followed by the fireworks.,

Recently DCL has been moving the single show concept earlier on those cruises that will accommodate fireworks that early in the evening, on the Magic class ships.

And the Pirate "show" has morphed into more of a deck party type event.

As Shmoo noted, the pirate shoe is an evolving concept. It is affected by length of cruise and by the season (time of sunset). On 3 night cruises, you have a main stage show in the Walt Disney Theatre AND the pirate show--that's a lot for the performers and tech crews to pull off and does affect the timing. On longer cruises, there is no main stage performance on pirate night. Depending on the cruise, there may be a movie, a variety act, or just "around the ship" activities. ALL of these are far easier on the entertainment crew and may impact the decisions about the pirate "show."

There are at least 3 variations of the pirate show that we've seen. They seem to be moving to the earlier, more character oriented show as some parents complained that the original (Mickey vs. bad guys...Mickey wins) was too scary and/or too late for children.

we were on a 7 night on the Fantasy in April 2015 with what must have been the old pirate show with Mickey and it was a lot of fun that we all liked. We then went on a 5nt Magic and it was basically just a pirate themed dance party and while the kids still enjoyed it it wasn't nearly as good IMHO. We were back on the Fantasy this January and I was slightly disappointed to see that the Fantasy show had changed too. I'm glad we got to see the original show and after seeing the new one a couple of times I wouldn't be disappointed to skip it the next time.

Thanks for all the info! The show we saw on the Magic started with the main characters on stage with current pop music. Captain Hook then repelled down and the "bad" guys took over, the music switched to 80s rock. Mickey showed up and saved the day! It was fun, we all enjoyed it.

It doesn't really matter what the show/party will be on Fantasy, I hope they move the fireworks earlier- I don't think we can stay up that late!!

Thanks for all the info! The show we saw on the Magic started with the main characters on stage with current pop music. Captain Hook then repelled down and the "bad" guys took over, the music switched to 80s rock. Mickey showed up and saved the day! It was fun, we all enjoyed it.

!

This sounds like the original show....the one that some parents complained was "too violent" and "too late" for their darlings. I can see the time concern, but fireworks need to be after dark. i never found it violent.

This sounds like the original show....the one that some parents complained was "too violent" and "too late" for their darlings. I can see the time concern' date=' but fireworks need to be after dark. i never found it violent.[/quote']

I agree it certainly wasn't violent. How anyone could see it as anything besides good clean fun is beyond me, but I guess it's the times we now live in :confused:

I miss the old Jack Sparrow type pirate invasion/battle with the rappelling characters & engaging battle. The dancing deck party is nice for the little ones, but it definitely is something I'll skip next time, and just arrive at fireworks time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I miss the old Jack Sparrow type pirate invasion/battle with the rappelling characters & engaging battle. The dancing deck party is nice for the little ones, but it definitely is something I'll skip next time, and just arrive at fireworks time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's pretty much what we do now.