Same Flight Number Changing Planes

FLACRUISER99

Delta has changed my connecting time in JFK to 1 hr and 22 min. It's the same FL #DL218 the min connecting time is 1hr 15min. Should I be worried? My thinking is the international flight will wait for the domestic flight if it's late.

DL218 MCO>JFK>CPH, Aug 8, 2017.

I would ask if they can put you on an earlier flight. My last international connection through JFK was so delayed getting out of Florida that I missed the flight and had to be re-accommodated on another carrier in a lower class of service--which REALLY sucked on a long haul. Then I had to fight tooth and nail to get the difference in cost refunded to me (it was several thousand dollars.)

You won't need to clear security at JFK, you might need to do the airside connection between T2 and T4 though.

My thinking is the international flight will wait for the domestic flight if it's late.

Your thinking is incorrect.

You can only expect to have a flight be held if you have a large number of people making the same connection and it's in the airline's best interests (i.e. financially) to hold the flight. I had this a few years ago when about a dozen or so people (unbeknownst to me) were making the same domestic connection.

DL218.png

You won't need to clear security at JFK, you might need to do the airside connection between T2 and T4 though.

You can only expect to have a flight be held if you have a large number of people making the same connection and it's in the airline's best interests (i.e. financially) to hold the flight. I had this a few years ago when about a dozen or so people (unbeknownst to me) were making the same domestic connection.

Interesting i did not think an airline could have 2 flights with the same flight number flying at the same time. Edited by FLACRUISER99

DL218.pngInteresting i did not think an airline could have 2 flights with the same flight number flying at the same time.

If you're thinking because of radio callsigns that's easily remedied with alternative callsigns, DL218C etc etc.

Also, it's not "at the same time". Only if the first segment is significantly delayed would both aircraft be airborne at the same time. This is a situation known as "change of gauge" - different aircraft for different requirements along the entire route.

You start with a MD-88 and switch to an ETOPS 757. While this may seem like a connection, it is a "direct" flight because it uses the same flight number for all segments. In this case, Delta is able to market a "direct" flight between MCO and CPH. More and more common all the time. Which further highlights that "direct" and "non-stop" are not synonymous.

Though that might fit into the MCT at JFK, I would not be comfortable with this at all. DL has earlier MCO-JFK flights, and I'd ask to be re-accomodated on one of them.

Also, it's not "at the same time". Only if the first segment is significantly delayed would both aircraft be airborne at the same time. This is a situation known as "change of gauge" - different aircraft for different requirements along the entire route.

You start with a MD-88 and switch to an ETOPS 757. While this may seem like a connection, it is a "direct" flight because it uses the same flight number for all segments. In this case, Delta is able to market a "direct" flight between MCO and CPH. More and more common all the time. Which further highlights that "direct" and "non-stop" are not synonymous.

Though that might fit into the MCT at JFK, I would not be comfortable with this at all. DL has earlier MCO-JFK flights, and I'd ask to be re-accomodated on one of them.

The only earlier non stop flight is DL 2058 at 7:20am. This flight is a tad bit early for me as I have a 3 hr drive to the airport. I guess I could add on a hotel stay.

The only earlier non stop flight is DL 2058 at 7:20am. This flight is a tad bit early for me as I have a 3 hr drive to the airport. I guess I could add on a hotel stay.

Considering you can choose from half a dozen Hilton branded properties within 10 minutes or so of MCO for under $100 on 8/7, staying the night before seems to be a no brainer.

Considering you can choose from half a dozen Hilton branded properties within 10 minutes or so of MCO for under $100 on 8/7, staying the night before seems to be a no brainer.

And if 10 minutes is too much, you can stay at the Hyatt in the terminal building itself.

You can only expect to have a flight be held if you have a large number of people making the same connection and it's in the airline's best interests (i.e. financially) to hold the flight.

You also have to take into account the length of the delay. If you're talking 30 minutes and a bunch of people need to make the next flight, they might hold that international flight for you. If there's a major delay though on your outbound (ex. major maintenance issue, crew rest delay, bad weather etc.) and you're delay is going to be 2 or 3 hours, forget it; they aren't holding that plane for you..... there are likely a LOT of people on that international flight who themselves have further connections to make once in Europe, and the airline won't risk having to re-accommodate all of THEM because they waited a couple hours for a couple of people.

I'd rather have that extra time. T4 at JFK is long and takes awhile to walk. And, if you have add in the jitney between T2 and T4, well... Do the hotel stay. And, if you want, buy a day pass to the T4 Sky Club and relax. Stop off at Shake Shack (near gates B23 and B37) and get a burger (I like the 'Shroom Burger), fries and a shake pre-departure to CPH. Pick up a bottle of Stumptown Cold Brew with Milk for later on the flight. Stop off at Dunkin' Donuts for some goodies to go with the cold brew - would make a great in-flight snack!

I'd rather have that extra time. T4 at JFK is long and takes awhile to walk. And, if you have add in the jitney between T2 and T4, well... Do the hotel stay. And, if you want, buy a day pass to the T4 Sky Club and relax. Stop off at Shake Shack (near gates B23 and B37) and get a burger (I like the 'Shroom Burger), fries and a shake pre-departure to CPH. Pick up a bottle of Stumptown Cold Brew with Milk for later on the flight. Stop off at Dunkin' Donuts for some goodies to go with the cold brew - would make a great in-flight snack!

I guess I'm still an old-school kinda guy....when I hear "Cold Brew", that still means beer to me. :D

I guess I'm still an old-school kinda guy....when I hear "Cold Brew", that still means beer to me. :D

comes in a brown bottle that looks a lot like the old short-neck beers, if that make it for you ;)

It's a nice, strong coffee and that bit of coffee just makes it smooth going down...

My local store carries Stumptown, so I pick it up once in awhile when I have to gut it through another night shift...

The Shake Shake 'Shroom burger is their veggie offering - a nice portobello mushroom instead of the beef.

I have to admit that I stop off at Popeye's once in awhile - I don't have that anywhere near me and I do like that crunchy chicken:o

Interesting i did not think an airline could have 2 flights with the same flight number flying at the same time.

I can't remember which airline it was but there was one airline that for a while would put three or even four flight numbers on every flight and use this arrangement to have loads of direct flights with a change of gauge at the Hub.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I can't remember which airline it was but there was one airline that for a while would put three or even four flight numbers on every flight and use this arrangement to have loads of direct flights with a change of gauge at the Hub.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Delta still does this. If you look at the gate screen, you'll see "DL xxx", "AZ yyy", "AF zzz" all going to the same place at the same time...

Delta has changed my connecting time in JFK to 1 hr and 22 min. It's the same FL #DL218 the min connecting time is 1hr 15min.

Should I be worried?

My thinking is the international flight will wait for the domestic flight if it's late.

DL218 MCO>JFK>CPH, Aug 8, 2017.

Changes... Maybe I'm off based but, re-check your seat assignment.

One time we found that we were re-assigned to the seats in the back of the plane.

They, Delta, called it "reconfiguration", and blamed it on their computer's pick of seats, a smaller plane

and us, for not re-checking.

Sounds like a normal code-share situation to me. As someone else mentioned, if it's a code-share flight, the airline's alliance partners can sell seats on the flight with their own flight number attached. It's not a sneaky manipulation to appear to have more actual flights than actually exist. ;)

Sounds like a normal code-share situation to me.
No, this was the same airline. Digging back into my memory a bit, I am beginning to think it was Continental. So the way what I was talking about worked was that you'd see on the screen by the gate "CO 234 - CO 562 - CO 325" All would go from Newark to Miami, but CO 234 originated in Bangor, CO 562 originated in Detroit and CO 325 originated in Boston. Obviously, the actual physical aircraft could only have come from one of those places. The other two "flights" were direct flights with change of gauge, a deliberate attempt to make passengers think that the airline had more (actual) direct flights than it did.

No, this was the same airline. Digging back into my memory a bit, I am beginning to think it was Continental. So the way what I was talking about worked was that you'd see on the screen by the gate "CO 234 - CO 562 - CO 325" All would go from Newark to Miami, but CO 234 originated in Bangor, CO 562 originated in Detroit and CO 325 originated in Boston. Obviously, the actual physical aircraft could only have come from one of those places. The other two "flights" were direct flights with change of gauge, a deliberate attempt to make passengers think that the airline had more (actual) direct flights than it did.

People can be pretty gullible sometimes, LOL. Imagine seeing 3 flights on the screen from EWR to MIA, but all leaving at the exact same time but I know there are folks who don't fly much and don't really understand how airlines work, and would thus believe the airline would really schedule 3 different aircraft to fly the same exact route at the same exact time.

Even on these boards sometimes a lot of people seem confused by codeshares; they'll post that they are deciding between 2 different flights, DL123 and AF456, both ATL to CDG on the same day at the same exact time, but they are oblivious to the fact that the AF flight says "operated by Delta" or vice versa, so it's really the exact same ONE aircraft and flight.

Even on these boards sometimes a lot of people seem confused by codeshares; they'll post that they are deciding between 2 different flights, DL123 and AF456, both ATL to CDG on the same day at the same exact time, but they are oblivious to the fact that the AF flight says "operated by Delta" or vice versa, so it's really the exact same ONE aircraft and flight.

I always love the "Is the service onboard better on Air France or Delta? Seats? The flights are at the same time, so I want to pick the best airline".