Disney Magic and NYC pier

Sun Freckles

Hoping that a past DCL cruiser, out of NYC pier, can help me out with this...is there a "port arrival time" for NYC pier....I see that this is the norm for PC but can't seem to get a definite "yes or no" for NYC. I've gone out of NYC many times, other cruise lines, and there were no "port arrival time". Being a first time DCL cruiser I'm trying to glean as much info as possible. Appreciate any and all help with this!

Hoping that a past DCL cruiser, out of NYC pier, can help me out with this...is there a "port arrival time" for NYC pier....I see that this is the norm for PC but can't seem to get a definite "yes or no" for NYC. I've gone out of NYC many times, other cruise lines, and there were no "port arrival time". Being a first time DCL cruiser I'm trying to glean as much info as possible. Appreciate any and all help with this!

I can't specifically address NY, but we have seen the computer issue PATs at other (non-PC) ports. They are not enforced, so I'm not sure why it matters. I think it is just an automatic part of the computer check in.

So now, you still don't have a "definite" answer. Sorry.

I've never had a PAT on other cruise lines. On DCL, it is a means of crowd control that was initiated because the terminal can't handle the entire passenger load of the newer ships.

We sailed on the Magic out of NYC last October. We did pick a PAT during online check in, just as you would for cruises from other ports. I don't recall if anyone was actually checking them upon arrival. I do remember that our car service got us to the port about 45 minutes earlier than planned and we had no issues going right in and getting in line for security.

From what I understand, your PAT time does affect the boarding number you receive. I have read reports of families with late PAT's getting to the port really early, being allowed to check in but then having to wait awhile to board due to a later boarding number. Whether that is the same procedure for NYC, I don't know.

What I do know, is that sailing out of NYC is just wonderful. I really don't care much about cruise terminals, as to me they are pretty much all the same minus a few Disney touches in Port Canaveral. But sailing past the Statue of Liberty and under the Verrazano Bridge just cannot be beat. Enjoy!

From what I understand, your PAT time does affect the boarding number you receive. I have read reports of families with late PAT's getting to the port really early, being allowed to check in but then having to wait awhile to board due to a later boarding number. Whether that is the same procedure for NYC, I don't know.

This is completely accurate, but is more of an issue on the bigger ships. Yes, your PAT is tied to your boarding card number. On the Magic and Wonder, "Open Boarding" is typically announced about 12:30 while on the bigger ships it is more likely to be 1:00 or a bit later. Obviously there is a time range which varies a little with each cruise. Once they are doing open boarding (no longer using the numbers), anyone can board regardless of their number.

Since boarding starts about 11:15 on most cruises, even those with a "late" PAT be waiting only about an hour unless they arrive well before their PAT. The most efficient way to plan things is that if you have a morning PAT, arrive at or a few minutes before your PAT. This should get you thru the lines and checked in about the time your boarding number is called. If you have a PAT at 12:30 or later, arrive about noon or a few minutes later. Again, this will get you checked in and ready to board about the time open boarding is announced. The goal is to minimize waiting in the terminal as you are likely to be more comfortable waiting at your hotel, a nearby restaurant, or anywhere other than a glorifies warehouse which may or may not have chairs!

Thanks Pens Fan for the additional infor....between you and Moki's mommy I feel I have a better understanding of the PAT in NYC....I suppose this isn't much different than boarding process of other ships....like I mentioned I've gone out of NY for the majority of our 20+ cruises, but never Disney, and the picking of an arrival time was never required. We have a car service picking us up at 10:30 am and it's about 90 minutes, without traffic, from our home (eastern Long Island).....with any luck we won't have much of a wait to board once there....thanks again for the help!