"Friends of Bill W"?

DC Traveler244

Actually, not to be the board pedant, :o but Friends of Bill W is open to members of any of the 12-step groups, not just AA. That's groups that follow the same traditions as AA, so e.g Gamblers Anonymous, Overeaters Anonymous etc.

Can someone remind me again why this thread was revived months later?

Can someone remind me again why this thread was revived months later?

New poster did a quick drive-by blitz... answering multiple questions in the Seabourn forum, apparently without bothering to read what anyone else had already contributed to the conversation. :confused:

Apologies to all - of course I know who the Friends of Bill are - and also Friends of Dorothy - just a bit of Brit. sarkiness, brought on by the blitz of rather irritating new posts by one person, as mentioned above, which seemed to show little understanding of how CC works, and some of which had incorrect statements in them.

On Quest's recent TA cruise, it was listed in The Herald as "LGBTQ Meet Up" in The Club. This was about half-way through the cruise.

I'm told that Seabourn transatlantic voyages are very popular with LGBT guests and certainly there seemed to be a higher proportion of that demographic on our last TA on Odyssey last October. We all had an absolute ball and several told me they've never experienced any hint of disapproval or non-acceptance; quite the opposite in fact. Times have changed indeed :)

Sigh...

Come on now... this is new and exciting information. They waited until the halfway mark on a transatlantic?! Perhaps they were hoping for new recruits. 😉 My only question is... where did they stash all the toasters?!

On Quest's recent TA cruise, it was listed in The Herald as "LGBTQ Meet Up" in The Club. This was about half-way through the cruise.

Very nice that SB is actually calling it what it is instead of using an outdated metaphor.

Since the thread has been revisited......

Early on someone mentioned they thought there were 3 groups who regularly held meetings on cruise ships. Friends of Bill W, (as an Englishman it took me a few cruises to realise Bill wasn't just a bloke cruising with his family!), friends of Dorothy and another.

That third group was probably the Red Hat Society. A group for women to have fun, support each other and generally celebrate life. Used to be aged 50 plus but now open to all.

Henry :)

Lincslady,

It is a group with thousands of chapters all over the world started in California in 1997 inspired by the the U.K. Poet Jenny Jospeh's famous poem "Warning" which starts "When I grow old I shall wear purple with a red hat that doesn't go and doesn't suit me..."

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks so much, Chairsin. I remember the bit about wearing purple, not the rest! (No doubt due to failing memory). I am doing my best to grow old disgracefully but without being rude or unkind to anyone. Still wear jeans - perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned this in view of the dreaded dress code threads - and enjoy my Negronis. So I think I would fit in fairly well with the other sassy old broads.