Do you have suggestions for how to spend the day in Kona?

Karysa

We are planning on going to Kaualuu to snorkel, but we are just going to do the clarks hop on bus, then stop at some places on the way back.

The hop on hop off bus will take you to Kaualuu? Didn't know that. Do you purchase tickets online or when you get there. If it's online do they refund your money if the ship doesn't make the port? Sounds like a good plan.:)

The hop on hop off bus will take you to Kaualuu? Didn't know that. Do you purchase tickets online or when you get there. If it's online do they refund your money if the ship doesn't make the port? Sounds like a good plan.:)

Yes it goes to Kaualuu beach. Here is the map it goes too and the link: http://www.clarkshawaiitours.com/index.html You can buy online, we thought we would just go across the street from the pier and buy them when we get there.$15

konamap.jpg

Thanks. That looks like a fun and easy day. I agree about buying the tickets when you get there. We did not even have to give a credit card to hold our rental car so I am happy about that as well. This port seems to be missed sometimes in the spring. My DS couldn't stop here last May. Fingers crossed. :)

I see.

I like the beach in your picture. Where is that beach?:)

Shipwreck beach on Zakinthos, Greece. Gorgeous beach! Love Greece, but that's a whole other topic!

Sounds like you have a couple of great options. Have fun!

Thanks. That looks like a fun and easy day. I agree about buying the tickets when you get there. We did not even have to give a credit card to hold our rental car so I am happy about that as well. This port seems to be missed sometimes in the spring. My DS couldn't stop here last May. Fingers crossed. :)

Maybe we'll see you there:)

We had a condo in Kona for about 15 years, just sold it, so have many happy memories. There have been lots of good suggestions so far so just a few additions. First the traffic issue - a high number of locals are employed in the hospitality industries and work in the large resort hotels, which are mostly north. Traffic therefore heads north in the early mornings (even from south of Kona) and heads south in the afternoons. Someone asked if the construction will be done anytime soon....it has been going on for YEARS! They finish one section (taking at least 4 times as long as any mainland constructions we've ever seen) then start another. No matter which direction you go, allow plenty of time for getting back in time for the last tender.

Next, someone mentioned visiting Akaka Falls out of Hilo. There was a bad storm in February that took out a lot of trees, even temporarily closing the park. Reports were that the scenery is not quite what it was, so if you are running short of time, take that into consideration.

The original post asked about good restaurants with a view. There are 2 within a very easy walk from the pier, both with beautiful views of the harbor and your ship. There's the Fish Hopper, almost right across the street from the end of the pier. A little farther down Ali'i Drive, in the Kona Inn Shopping Center, is the Kona Inn. It sits right on the water almost directly across from where your ship is anchored. Both have great food. We prefer the Kona Inn, because Fish Hopper sits right on the road, so you get a lot of traffic noise. Several posts mention Sam Choy's, about 5 miles south of the village. It does have a spectacular view, but food and service are a hit or miss proposition. It's still worth it just for the view, but you do need a car to get there.

Other things to do right in the village include visiting Mokuaikua, Hawaii's oldest Christian church, and Huliheʻe Palace, a summer home for some of Hawaii's early royalty. Both are within a block or so of the pier. There's also a Farmers' Market most days (tacky and usually hot, but interesting for inexpensive souvenirs) and maybe some flowers. Most of the shops in the village are pretty standard tourist fare, but there was (hope it's still there!) a shop at the south end of the Kona Village Shopping Center, right side almost to the end, that carried some lovely locally made things - jewelry, art prints, etc.

Also, in case you missed the update to the original comment about Kahalu'u Beach being closed, the problem has been resolved and it has reopened. If you take the trolley there, make sure to allow plenty of time to get back to the ship. The trolley can be fully loaded late in the afternoon, so I'd make sure to have a phone number available to call a cab if necessary.

Shipwreck beach on Zakinthos, Greece. Gorgeous beach! Love Greece, but that's a whole other topic!

Sounds like you have a couple of great options. Have fun!

I love it to. :)

Thanks again for your suggestions. You have been very helpful.:)

We had a condo in Kona for about 15 years, just sold it, so have many happy memories. There have been lots of good suggestions so far so just a few additions. First the traffic issue - a high number of locals are employed in the hospitality industries and work in the large resort hotels, which are mostly north. Traffic therefore heads north in the early mornings (even from south of Kona) and heads south in the afternoons. Someone asked if the construction will be done anytime soon....it has been going on for YEARS! They finish one section (taking at least 4 times as long as any mainland constructions we've ever seen) then start another. No matter which direction you go, allow plenty of time for getting back in time for the last tender.

Next, someone mentioned visiting Akaka Falls out of Hilo. There was a bad storm in February that took out a lot of trees, even temporarily closing the park. Reports were that the scenery is not quite what it was, so if you are running short of time, take that into consideration.

The original post asked about good restaurants with a view. There are 2 within a very easy walk from the pier, both with beautiful views of the harbor and your ship. There's the Fish Hopper, almost right across the street from the end of the pier. A little farther down Ali'i Drive, in the Kona Inn Shopping Center, is the Kona Inn. It sits right on the water almost directly across from where your ship is anchored. Both have great food. We prefer the Kona Inn, because Fish Hopper sits right on the road, so you get a lot of traffic noise. Several posts mention Sam Choy's, about 5 miles south of the village. It does have a spectacular view, but food and service are a hit or miss proposition. It's still worth it just for the view, but you do need a car to get there.

Other things to do right in the village include visiting Mokuaikua, Hawaii's oldest Christian church, and Huliheʻe Palace, a summer home for some of Hawaii's early royalty. Both are within a block or so of the pier. There's also a Farmers' Market most days (tacky and usually hot, but interesting for inexpensive souvenirs) and maybe some flowers. Most of the shops in the village are pretty standard tourist fare, but there was (hope it's still there!) a shop at the south end of the Kona Village Shopping Center, right side almost to the end, that carried some lovely locally made things - jewelry, art prints, etc.

Also, in case you missed the update to the original comment about Kahalu'u Beach being closed, the problem has been resolved and it has reopened. If you take the trolley there, make sure to allow plenty of time to get back to the ship. The trolley can be fully loaded late in the afternoon, so I'd make sure to have a phone number available to call a cab if necessary.

Thank you for your input. Now I get why the traffic north gets busy. If we did head north what time would you suggest that we leave beach 69 to get back to the pier by 2:30?

You have a lot of experience so let me ask you this if I could. If you had friends coming in on a cruise where would you take them if they had 6 hours?

Edited by Karysa

Thank you for your input. Now I get why the traffic north gets busy. If we did head north what time would you suggest that we leave beach 69 to get back to the pier by 2:30?

You have a lot of experience so let me ask you this if I could. If you had friends coming in on a cruise where would you take them if they had 6 hours?

Early afternoon shouldn't be too bad, but it's been awhile since we've driven there and don't remember the exact distance. Check how long it takes you get there, then add at least half an hour going back - more if you're turning a car in at the airport.

If we had friends coming in....good question! It would obviously depend on the people, but high on our list would be:

Snorkeling at Kahalu'u - as early in the morning as possible, leaving when it gets packed (as it always does on cruise days). I'd then head back into town, walk around and visit the church and palace, then to the Kona Inn for lunch and a Mai Tai.

If they were not interested in snorkeling and had an interest in the history of the islands, I'd head for Pu'uhonua O Honaunau - or "Place of Refuge" National Historical Park. It's gorgeous, very moving and unique. You could still be back in the village for lunch at the Kona Inn (notice a pattern here?).

Another option that I don't think anyone has mentioned is the Ocean Rider Seahorse Farm. It's a very low-keyed, small operation, and a great place to take kids. There's something very charming about having a tiny seahorse wrap itself around your little finger. It's about a 10 minute drive north of town - I believe you do need to make a reservation. The ships also usually do tours there.

I love it to. :)

Thanks again for your suggestions. You have been very helpful.:)

You are most welcome. That's what I like about cruise critic, repaying the help I get here.

We were just in Kona in January and have been visiting for 34 years, one of our favourite places. The traffic seems to hit mid afternoon, but I can't predict exact times.

For my two cents, I think the town will be packed with the cruise tourists, so keep that in mind about eating there and the trolley. I agree about going snorkelling first thing, then moving on to city of refuge and then lunch. You would be back with lots of time to walk around town. Let us know how it goes.

You are most welcome. That's what I like about cruise critic, repaying the help I get here.

We were just in Kona in January and have been visiting for 34 years, one of our favourite places. The traffic seems to hit mid afternoon, but I can't predict exact times.

For my two cents, I think the town will be packed with the cruise tourists, so keep that in mind about eating there and the trolley. I agree about going snorkelling first thing, then moving on to city of refuge and then lunch. You would be back with lots of time to walk around town. Let us know how it goes.

I think that I will listen to all of you including DS and go south. Can not tempt fate at this, our last port before Vancouver!

:) of course I will come back and post what I did and how it went. Given the number of views already on this thread I think that you guys have helped more than just me and I hope that the others will also post what they did and give a quick review as well. Cruise critic does have a sort of pay it forward vibe to it.

• 1 month later...

Are lockers available at Kahala'u, Park of Refuge or Two Step? We will have a car but I think that we would feel safer to leave our camera equipment in a locker when we snorkel. If that's not an option would you be concerned to leave things in your trunk at any of these spots? Thanks:)

There are lockers at Kahuluu but not the others.

Good to know. Thanks :)

We leave stuff at home in our trunk all of the time. In general in Hawaii, are things usually safe in a closed trunk? We don't leave things in our trunk while visiting in the Caribbean due to theft but am unsure as to how to deal with this while on vacation in Hawaii.

• 1 month later...
Good to know. Thanks :)

We leave stuff at home in our trunk all of the time. In general in Hawaii, are things usually safe in a closed trunk? We don't leave things in our trunk while visiting in the Caribbean due to theft but am unsure as to how to deal with this while on vacation in Hawaii.

We had a closed trunk in Maui, Kauai and in Kona as well. We never left anything that we would couldn't lose in the trunk such as wallets and camera equipment but we did leave snorkel and beach bags in the trunk and we did not have any issues at all. I know that this is just one persons 2 week experience but since my question didn't get any replies I thought that I would share our experience.

Here is what we ended up doing in Kona. We rented a car from Dollar rental in the Courtyard Marriott a two minute walk from where the tender drops you off. ( you will see it once you get off the ferry and start to head toward the town)

Since we got lucky and got on the first non-cruise excursion tender we were off in no time.

We drove to the Place of Refuge and parked, snorkeled at two step and then toured the park. The snorkeling was ok but the park was really interesting to us. Getting in and out of the water was not that easy here to me and I am quite fit.;)

On the way back to town we stopped for lunch at a little coffee shop/cafe and the owner who owned the coffee plantation was there and since my DH had finally found his favorite Hawaiian coffee he just had to have a chat with her, and have a picture to. lol

After lunch we went to Kahuluu beach but we did not snorkel there or go in the water. We continued toward town and passed a beach with sand that was inviting to us. We turned around and found a parking spot and went for a swim. The beach was brown sugar colored and the waves were big but there was no undertow. We enjoyed it for about 30 minutes. The beach was Magic Sands and I think we got lucky because there was sand on the day that we went.

:) Before dropping off the car we stopped at Walmart to get a few things before our 5 day crossing to Vancouver.

We got lucky and we're able to check the car in right when we got back to the hotel as the person from the rental car agency that checked us in was in the parking lot at that time.

We spent our last hour shopping in town and having our first shaved ice.

Thanks to the suggestions that we received here we had a really enjoyable day in Kona. We did not run into any traffic and our day was very carefree and relaxed which was just what we were looking for.:)