New Orleans - What to do

cfmoore76

We will be arriving in New Orleans about 5 p.m. on Sunday and don't sail out til Monday -- Any must see's or do's in that short amount of time for a mom and her 18 year old son?! We are staying in New Orleans West?!

If you got to NO, Bourbon St is a must....If you and your son go on Sunday night, you will have plenty to talk about on the way to port on Monday :')

We will be arriving in New Orleans about 5 p.m. on Sunday and don't sail out til Monday -- Any must see's or do's in that short amount of time for a mom and her 18 year old son?! We are staying in New Orleans West?!

Where are you staying? Westbank?

Shaya is amazing if you like Mediterranean food! http://www.shayarestaurant.com/

I've found Magazine St/ the Garden Disctrict has better restaurants than the tourist area in the French Quarter. We live 3 hours from NO and visit atleast 2x per year.

Superior Seafood is always good as well if you like seafood and has good happy hour specials... http://www.superiorseafoodnola.com/

Hope this helps love the food in NOLA!!

The WWII museum is amazing. Cafe du Monde is a must for beignets. Central Grocery for a mufaletta sandwich. Walk down Bourbon Street at night. Jackson Square. NO is full of amazing things to do. Have fun.

I agree that the WW2 Museum is a must, but they close at 5pm so they won't be able to go Sunday night.

But Bourbon Street is a must and as are beignets - Café du Monde is what everyone knows but Café Beignet is better, imho

Cafe du Monde is a must just for the sugar mustache [emoji12]. Walk around the square just opposite the cafe. Well bourbon st is always full of excitement. Pat o briens the piano bar, if you go to Burson st. You don't have to drink but if you do get a hurricane and sing your heart off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check out some of the voodoo shops. If you can get to St Louis Cemetery #1 Monday, morning, you can see Nicolas Cage's pyramid tomb and the Voodoo Queen's tomb - its in a sketchy part of town, so I wouldn't try going at night - they tend to close early anyway.

Go to Drago's for their charbroiled oysters!

Edited by Herfnerd

I would head to Frenchmen street, have some great New Orleans food at the Praline Connection, and then hit the jazz clubs for the live music they have every night. Bourbon street is dirty and gross but if you really want to just walk through and have a drink, that will take about 30 minutes. lol

Thanks all!! Is Bourbon Street scary at night lol?

It is ok before midnight but I wouldn't stay out there after that unless I was with a large group. I took my SIL there in October and we didn't have any problem (two petite women). It seems most of the problems there happen after midnight. We went into the Royal Sonesta's Jazz Playhouse and listened to some Jazz and had a cocktail.

The Monteleone Hotel is the best there is in NOLA - I highly recommend staying there if you can. Go downstairs and have a drink on their famous carousel revolving bar. I also recommend eating dinner at one of these restaurants (make a reservation on Opentable.com):

GW Fins (newer NOLA restaurant with amazing seafood)

Muriel's Jackson Square (classic NOLA restaurant)

Brennans (maybe go for brunch before you head over to your ship! This is where Banana's foster originated.)

Antoine's (famous for originating Oysters Rockefeller and also Cafe Brulot)

Arnaud's (famous for being the largest restaurant in NOLA and operating over 100 years)

Gallatoire's (famous for turtle soup)

What you've got to try:

Shrimp Gumbo

Oyster's Rockefeller

Pompano

Cafe Brulot

Banana's Foster

Muffaletta

Chickory coffee and beignets at the original Cafe du Monde

Honestly NOLA is worth a lot more than one evening of your time - it is an absolutely incredible city in so many ways!

Check the New Orleans section under the Ports of Call board, too, for more ideas.

I have lived here all of my life and I have never heard of New Orleans West!!! The westbank is actually east & south of New Orleans - look at a map!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Check the New Orleans section under the Ports of Call board, too, for more ideas.

I have lived here all of my life and I have never heard of New Orleans West!!! The westbank is actually east & south of New Orleans - look at a map!!!!

Really I think most of us knew what she meant

lot of stupid kid stuff on bourbon street at night. I am retired and really enjoy BS at day break. still get great food and the atmosphere is very I dont know private and quiet maybe.

Last time I was at Bourbon Street, I saw a lot of "kids" my age doing stupid stuff during the day......

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First off the things in NOLA all the good have been mentioned but you not arriving until 5PM the day before, that only leaves a chance to eat, maybe street car ride, see Jackson Square and a walk down Bourbon. Want more on where to eat tell us what you like.

One thing once on the ship, be out on deck for sailaway and a while after, sailing the river is wonderful especially as it gets dark.

First off the things in NOLA all the good have been mentioned but you not arriving until 5PM the day before, that only leaves a chance to eat, maybe street car ride, see Jackson Square and a walk down Bourbon. Want more on where to eat tell us what you like.

One thing once on the ship, be out on deck for sailaway and a while after, sailing the river is wonderful especially as it gets dark.

Couldn't agree more. The river is wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...