Welcome to the Witches and Wizards, friends of the Prinsendam forum.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:38 AM.
Southern Ontario, Canada
2,864 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
I get to make poppies again for our cruise April 2017 when we board the Zuiderdam for 40 days. We have a stop in Cherbourg and after a lot of searching I found a private guide who will do a combined Canadian and American beaches tour for us. We continue to the Baltics, Norway and the Scottish Highlands after that. Cooenhagen is the hub for the B2B2B. I am glad I stirred up this thread!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Central Florida
4,326 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by gigianne
I get to make poppies again for our cruise April 2017 when we board the Zuiderdam for 40 days. We have a stop in Cherbourg and after a lot of searching I found a private guide who will do a combined Canadian and American beaches tour for us. We continue to the Baltics, Norway and the Scottish Highlands after that. Cooenhagen is the hub for the B2B2B. I am glad I stirred up this thread!
That sounds like a great 40 days, Georgina! Very nice. We stopped in Cherbourg in May on the Koningsdam but did not have a tour. I did book a tour of the British and Canadian beaches out of Le Havre for the next day but we ended up overnighting in Cherbourg as there were strikes occurring in France that had stopped all incoming and outgoing traffic in Le Havre. No tours could operate so we stayed in Cherbourg. The ship did arrange a couple of tours for the extra day in Cherbourg.

I'm sure you will both have a wonderful time on that cruise. I could visit all these ports over and over.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Regards, Rich
Click for Westerdam 26 Oct 2017 Spanish Passage M&G List
New Brunswick
39,466 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by 0bnxshs
That sounds like a great 40 days, Georgina! Very nice. We stopped in Cherbourg in May on the Koningsdam but did not have a tour. I did book a tour of the British and Canadian beaches out of Le Havre for the next day but we ended up overnighting in Cherbourg as there were strikes occurring in France that had stopped all incoming and outgoing traffic in Le Havre. No tours could operate so we stayed in Cherbourg. The ship did arrange a couple of tours for the extra day in Cherbourg.

I'm sure you will both have a wonderful time on that cruise. I could visit all these ports over and over.
If you can visit those ports over and over stay tuned for 2018

We would like to sail the Prinsendam once again and, if she offers the same itinerary as the one we see in 2017, we have our eye on it

This time, I'd like to explore Cherbourg which is an incredible city.

I hope you enjoyed it and sorry to hear about your tours in Le Havre.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jacqui emailme
Click this attachment Attachment 405014 to download the PDF spread sheet for the Rotterdam Roll Call's Mar. 30th cruise
Click here for Prinsendam Roll Call's spread sheet for May 5, 2018 - 28 day Azores and Celtic Explorer

Central Florida
4,326 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by kazu
If you can visit those ports over and over stay tuned for 2018

We would like to sail the Prinsendam once again and, if she offers the same itinerary as the one we see in 2017, we have our eye on it

This time, I'd like to explore Cherbourg which is an incredible city.

I hope you enjoyed it and sorry to hear about your tours in Le Havre.
No sweat about missing Le Havre, just gives another reason to go back.

Cherbourg is a beautiful area. We'll keep our eye on what's happening for '18.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Regards, Rich
Click for Westerdam 26 Oct 2017 Spanish Passage M&G List
Victoria Harbour, ON
2,128 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Hi Rich we just did this cruise in Jan on the Maasdam. Only on our itinerary we did not stop at Macapa which was very disappointing. Other then that it was a trip of a life time. The Amazon has been on our bucket list for years. Enjoy.
Allan
100 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Hi

So nice to come home and see activity on this thread once again. So many wonderful memories!!!

Noel and I are "stepping out of the box" so to speak and doing a Thanksgiving cruise on the Regal Princess - don't know if we'll "come back new" but we'll have fun trying.

We're looking forward to sailing on the Zuiderdam next July doing the Northern Isles and Celtic Discovery with Ruth Ann and friends - can't wait to attend the Tatoo (we have our tickets) and visit Norway and Iceland and other wonderful places. Very small roll call for us too. It would be so much fun to do another cruise with everyone!!!!

Sounds as though everyone is well and thriving (thankfully) and best of all, cruising.

Gigianne, I too have kept and wear my poppies proudly and not just on Memorial Day!

Take care and stay safe,

Marilyn
New Brunswick
39,466 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Happy Holidays all

Prinsendam just came out with some new, very interesting itineraries for 2018.

We just booked the May 5, 2018 Azores and Celtic Explorer. It's a collectors' but also available in two segments. First is a TA. Second 1/2 is much more port intensive which starts in Dover I believe.

It pays to log in to check pricing as our price was reduced a fair bit when I logged in. Plus, there is prepaid HSC, dinner at PG and Cannaletto & internet credit for suites.

Really nice itinerary
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jacqui emailme
Click this attachment Attachment 405014 to download the PDF spread sheet for the Rotterdam Roll Call's Mar. 30th cruise
Click here for Prinsendam Roll Call's spread sheet for May 5, 2018 - 28 day Azores and Celtic Explorer

New Brunswick
39,466 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by kazu
Happy Holidays all

Prinsendam just came out with some new, very interesting itineraries for 2018.

We just booked the May 5, 2018 Azores and Celtic Explorer. It's a collectors' but also available in two segments. First is a TA. Second 1/2 is much more port intensive which starts in Dover I believe.

It pays to log in to check pricing as our price was reduced a fair bit when I logged in. Plus, there is prepaid HSC, dinner at PG and Cannaletto & internet credit for suites.

Really nice itinerary
Oops JG reminded me I forgot to post a link for the itinerary. Here you go

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-c...Meta=Interior&

The itinerary map isn't up yet. But the web link gives you the itinerary.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jacqui emailme

Chelmsford, Essex, UK
1,308 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Fred Olsen French Rivers cruise on Braemar.

We have just come back from this very enjoyable cruise. The itinerary, the weather and the ship were all excellent. We sailed from Dover and went to Rouen (overnight), La Rochelle, Bordeaux (overnight) and L'Orient. In Bordeaux we went to La Tupina after seeing it on Rick Stein's programme where we had an excellent meal. The next day we took the ships excursion to St Emillion where we found an imposter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TinMan2.jpg (35.5 KB, 7 views)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JG (talks like a pirate) jgw321@gmail.com
My cruising pages: http://sturnidae.com/cruises.htm

Planned
:

Victoria Harbour, ON
2,128 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
We were also in Rouen last week, along with thousands of other Canadians travelling after visiting Vimy for the centennial of the 9 Apr 1917 Battle of Vimy Ridge.
Allan
Chelmsford, Essex, UK
1,308 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
We just missed you then, though we didn't get off the boat. We were there 2nd and 3rd. Apparently they also had the quarter finals of the Davis Cup 7th to 9th at Rouen. We were back in the channel en route to Dover then.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Planned
:

Southern Ontario, Canada
2,864 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
We are boarding the Zuiderdam tomorrow and have asked for a webcam wave - we will have our Canadian flag and also a 150th birthday (Canada) flag - deck 6 3rd cabin from the glass elevator towards the aft. There will be six of us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Chelmsford, Essex, UK
1,308 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Bon Voyage.

We'll try and get there this afternoon (webcam, not fly in of course).

I wish I could remember which board the wave off threads are. Maybe Jacqui has time for a quick I-pad post. I might find them but search never seems easy on CC.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Planned
:

Chelmsford, Essex, UK
1,308 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
I have found everything now:-

Webcam 1: http://www.ftlauderdalewebcam.com
Webcam 2: http://portevergladeswebcam.com
Sail away thread: there doesn't seem to be one
Ship Tracker: http://www.***********/cruise-ship-tracker/holland-america-line/ms-zuiderdam.php
(edit:CC have broken this link. If you want a cruise ship tracker and don't have a favourite then Google "cruise shiptracker" and pick one. You then need to search for the ship.)

CC seem to be having trouble with their server, it is normally down for about 10 minutes around 8:00 GMT. This morning it has been up and down like the proverbial and is still down at 8:50 GMT. Cloud fare is supposed to cache everything so you can still browse the historic version, but doesn't seem to achieve anthing, other than say the server is down. But my browser can
tell me that so what additional function does cloud fare bring - ziltch!

Zuiderdam is still on her way to Fort Lauderdale at 9:00 GMT, 5:00 a.m. local time.
Is about to dock at 10:55 GMT, 6:55 local. CC now back, 3 hours later.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Planned
:

Victoria Harbour, ON
2,128 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by gigianne
We are boarding the Zuiderdam tomorrow and have asked for a webcam wave - we will have our Canadian flag and also a 150th birthday (Canada) flag - deck 6 3rd cabin from the glass elevator towards the aft. There will be six of us.
We'll be there to wave you on. Bon Voyage.
Allan
Chelmsford, Essex, UK
1,308 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
15:30 local time (20:30 BST), the excitement mounts. All three depatures are scheduled for 16:00 hours. They must doing Mustard drill now. No sign of activity so we have to watch aeroplanes take off while we wait. Some drizzle obscurd the web cams a bit, lets hope it clears up. The port information page now shows the Island Princess is resheduled to 16:30, so probably the Royal first, as she has an easy get away, and the Zuiderdam has to back out and turn round.

4 o'clock passes and still no sign of activity. Just after half past four one of the cameras moves and zooms in on the Island Princes and she is making smoke. At 16:38 she edges out and is off. We have now lost contact with the other ships as the SW and Everglades cameras are zoomed in following the departure, the SE camera is pointing out to sea ready for the final departure. As the Island Princesss goes past the entrance to the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway we could see Zuiderdamm in the background still docked and still showing moored on the ship tracker. We followed the Island Princess out to sea and when they got back to the other two The Royal P|rincess was underway and had edged out from the dock. Again as she passed by we could see the Zuiderdam still docked and we watched the Royal go. We were booked on this ship once but we cancelled so we could sail the Ocean P. once more before she was sold. We are glad we did, the Royal is a stonker.

Finally at about 5:15 (10:15 BST) we could detect signs of movement as she backed up and edged away. We got the wave and I captured some screen shots, but in my hurry to get to bed I saved them as 8 bit images instead of 24 bit, so they are a bit pixelated. I captured some again this morning from the replay http://www.portevergladeswebcam.com/replay.php but they have watermarks on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScSht.jpg (33.8 KB, 7 views)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Planned
:

Chelmsford, Essex, UK
1,308 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Yippee!!!

We have just managed to book Saga Pearl II from Dover for a 14 night cruise "The Islands of Bothnia". The Gulf of Bothnia is the bit between Sweeden and Finland which is off the beaten track. We have been trying to book this for a few years now, we nearly made it once but it clashed with another cruise we were already booked on and didn't want to miss. Only Saga seem to go there, and then not every year. Saga Pearl II only has 500 odd passengers and NO kids. Every port, except Dover is new to us. We are so excited. I hope we can pay for all these cruises we have booked.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Planned
: