Wheel chair rental for 7-day cruise from Seattle

bbappel

Anyone know how to get a rental wheelchair from the Port in Seattle. Friends will be on Ruby Princess - an Alaska cruise in August and the father needs to use a wheelchair for the trip but doesn't need one often enough to own his own.

Thanks,

Beth

Anyone know how to get a rental wheelchair from the Port in Seattle. Friends will be on Ruby Princess - an Alaska cruise in August and the father needs to use a wheelchair for the trip but doesn't need one often enough to own his own.

Thanks,

Beth

Go to the Disabled Cruising Board in CC. They will have your answers!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you have a little time you may be able to pre-arrange to "borrow" a wheelchair from the Salvation Army Thrift Store downtown near Century Link Field. My Dad has frequently done this (with a small donation) when his 94 yo sister visits. Then return it at cruise end. It's a little known "service" with mobility devices for short term use. Might vary by location so call ahead and see if this looks like an option.

There is a Service that will deliver the needed chair directly to the passengers cabin and pick it up at the end of the cruise. It's very reasonably priced and you can choose from a variety of types of equipment and get the proper size.

Can't remember who Princess contracts with, but there are 2 main companies that rent this equipment for cruise ships, and which are allowed to deliver on-board. Check on the Princess website or the Disabled cruisers forum here.

That being said, I would encourage you to bring this person's own wheelchair from home. You can purchase one for about the same price as a 1 week rental, and have it for use in the airport and other travel in the future. There is no extra charge when flying for checking a wheelchair.

• 2 weeks later...

Double check Princess's website, but almost all cruise lines use one of two vendors - Care Vacations vs Special Needs at Sea. I've never used them (but I'm very active on the Disability Cruise Board because my sister uses a mobility scooter and we only cruise in HA cabins). Both come highly recommended and offer similar equipment/pricing, etc. Once you book, the chair will be waiting in the cabin.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

Beth

Your best bet would be to contact Special Needs At Sea at their website ( http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/ ) or at 855-688-6858.They usually also have a tent at Pier 91 where you can rent them should you forget to contact them before you depart for your cruise.

Tom

Can't remember who Princess contracts with, but there are 2 main companies that rent this equipment for cruise ships, and which are allowed to deliver on-board. Check on the Princess website or the Disabled cruisers forum here.

That being said, I would encourage you to bring this person's own wheelchair from home. You can purchase one for about the same price as a 1 week rental, and have it for use in the airport and other travel in the future. There is no extra charge when flying for checking a wheelchair.

Your best bet would be to contact Special Needs At Sea at their website ( http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/ ) or at 855-688-6858.They usually also have a tent at Pier 91 where you can rent them should you forget to contact them before you depart for your cruise.

Tom

I like Sprinters' suggestion. You really can buy a chair for what it costs to rent one for a week.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

Beth

Should you need or desire a wheelchair for use on the ship, your best bet would be to contact Special Needs At Sea at their website ( http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/ ) or at 855-688-6858. They can arrange for one to be delivered to your mother's cabin on the ship. Should you decide you'd like one after your arrival at the pier, they usually have a tent out in front of the terminal building where you can rent one for the cruise. Normally they are in a small tent across the street from the terminal building but I haven't noticed them there yet this year. But you can ask about that when you call the number above.

Tom