Is the Disney fantasy going into dry dock for a refresh in 2017?

Mhl76

My guess is that there will be few, if any "changes" that alter the guest experience. The Dream's first dry dock basically added features that were on the Fantasy but not the Dream. If you watch the films of the Magic's first dry dock, you'll see that it basically involved changing carpets, reupholstering chairs in the theatres, etc. but no major additions or structural alterations.

The point of the dry dock is the mandatory engine, hull, structural inspections and tune ups that cannot occur with the ship in the water. DCL takes advantage of this time to do an intensive cleaning and spiffing up of the guest areas. My understanding is that this is scheduled in May, 2017.

They may add a Vanillope's if it is showing sufficient revenue on the Dream......

• 1 month later...
My guess is that there will be few' date=' if any "changes" that alter the guest experience. The Dream's first dry dock basically added features that were on the Fantasy but not the Dream. If you watch the films of the Magic's first dry dock, you'll see that it basically involved changing carpets, reupholstering chairs in the theatres, etc. but no major additions or structural alterations.

The point of the dry dock is the mandatory engine, hull, structural inspections and tune ups that cannot occur with the ship in the water. DCL takes advantage of this time to do an intensive cleaning and spiffing up of the guest areas. My understanding is that this is scheduled in May, 2017.

They may add a Vanillope's if it is showing sufficient revenue on the Dream......[/quote']

I think this was addressed in another thread, but they are bringing in Vaniillope's, but under another name, calling it the Sweet On You Ice Cream shop

I booked our October 2017 Fantasy cruise when schedules first opened and was hoping we would get the Marvel Academy on the dry dock! This is great news, thanks!

We're also cruising in October on the Fantasy. Did the article say when it's going into drydock?

I wonder if any of the shows and/or restaurants will get upgraded...

The shows are on a different schedule than the dry docks--we were told by stage manager that a show must run 7 years in order to be "profitable." Not all of them last that long, but that is the goal. I don't foresee any changes for the restaurants as those are only rather new as well. It took 15 years and the BIG dry dock to change Parrot Cay on the Magic!

What they will likely do is a serious deep cleaning of the restaurants and most public spaces, change carpet, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
Good luck.....if they don't finish all the details' date=' you may see some "still in progress" during your cruise. That's the danger of the first cruise after a dry dock.[/quote']

Good point. I'm not terribly concerned, as the things they're set to add aren't necessarily on our must-do list. Still, I hope they can get at least most of it done in the time they've planned.

Fantasy is scheduled to go into dry dock on Saturday, April 29.

We were on Wonder right after it came out of dry dock a few years ago (when they enclosed the area above Cove Cafe) and they were still finishing up work throughout the ship all during our cruise - - grinding, sanding, painting, varnishing, etc.