Jason Montague Explorer Town Hall 4/15/2017

giustot

Since I will be boarding in three weeks, glad to see your positive comments. Did you realize you took your trip in 2018? Lol. I have seen some negative comments that were worrisome, but you sound very happy so I plan to be happy also. Travelers can't expect everything to be perfect.

Is there actually a contest for a name, as much as I have a sick sense of humor and Terminator works for me - I think I have one that would sell better!

There is talk about a contest but, IMO, too many of the same names would be nominated. I hope that Regent makes the decision rather than having to draw a name from the many customers that would have selected the same name.

There is talk about a contest but, IMO, too many of the same names would be nominated. I hope that Regent makes the decision rather than having to draw a name from the many customers that would have selected the same name.

Yes, there will be duplicates, but Jason suggested that the drawn winner would be a guest on the maiden voyage, so I'm for a contest.

Jason mentioned a social media contest with the winner possibly being invited on the inaugural cruise. Of course, if there were multiple people voting for the same name, it would be a lottery draw for the trip.

I have a few suggestions as well, but my front-runner is still "Shippy McShipface".

2018 is was wishful thinking. We won't be back on Explorer until Feb 2019.

We're currently booked on Explorer in August and we just signed up for the Cape Town - Rio crossing in '19. Now we just need to figure out '18...

Loving the idea of the Seven Seas Terminator. But don't think it will make it. How about the Seven Seas Traveler. After all we're all traveling the world.

Just to prolong the agony, that would be "Traveller" in British English.

Not yet tried Explorer. We are due out of Southampton in September. It's good to hear about restaurants, elevators and suites. We are in F2 and at the bow end so there seem to be some wins.

Hmm, if the new ship turns out to be so unlucky as to have some of the aft shimmy shake issues of Navigator and Voyager, they could name the vessel the "Regent Seven Seas Vibrator". One can hardly imagine the joking possibilities for the on-board comic entertainers.:evilsmile:

Edited by freddie

The Explorer does not have the vibration that the Voyager or Navigator have. Her movement at sea is totally different. While not a fan of "Seven Seas Traveler" (U.S. spelling since the parent company is definitely American), I was also not a fan of Explorer since it has been used on other ships. I do have several suggestions that would be in keeping with Regent's naming of their current ships but am waiting to see if there will be a contest. In the unlikely event that I won, I would donate the prize to one of my friends since we have already been on a christening cruise.

While excited about the new ship, I am not excited to hear how many ways posters will find fault with her. Although Regent will certainly fix the issues of the "elevator/stairs to nowhere, the sight lines in the theater and the narrow passageway on deck 5 by the aft elevators, there will likely be new things to complain about.

How many of us on Cruise Critic did a "spit take" with their morning tea or coffee when they read the facetious idea for the new Regent ship name: "Regent Vibrator"?

Perhaps they will combine the two "last two letter" requirements and call it the "Regent Error"....:D

While excited about the new ship, I am not excited to hear how many ways posters will find fault with her. Although Regent will certainly fix the issues of the "elevator/stairs to nowhere, the sight lines in the theater and the narrow passageway on deck 5 by the aft elevators, there will likely be new things to complain about.

If NCLH/Regent act on guest & crew feedback, employ a reputable cruise ship co-ordinating designer and are more diligent with their review of the specifications & plans there should be very few issues with the new ship, Explorer 2

I am not aware that any posters have highlighted faults with Explorer without foundation

Explorer is a superb ship but with a little extra effort could have been even better

Had to do some Googling on this as I find it spelled both ways. I agree with you - according to the NASA website (the one that I believe) it is spelled with a "u". However, I still prefer it without a "u" as extra "u's" are not typically used in the United States English language and the shuttles are definitely representative of the U.S. (no offense meant to Brits or Canadians).

Thank you for bringing this to our attention:D

The space shuttle "Endeavour" could not be spelt without the 'u' since it was specifically named after James Cook's ship of the 1760's

It was Webster who introduced the American spelling of words (e.g. without u's) primarily as a protest against British rule. Presumably most people have moved on from that era, and those old prejudices, by now

Although Regent is a US based company, it markets itself internationally and, IMO, should therefore be open to alternative spellings and languages when choosing the name for Explorer 2

As I read this thread, I'm reminded of the story of the teacher who wrote ten words on the board and purposely misspelled one of them. When the students laughed at his 'mistake', the teacher pointed out that although one word was wrong, all of the others were correct. He told the class to concentrate on what people do right, not what they do wrong.

There is so much that is right with Explorer that it seems strange to keep dwelling on the few missteps that were made. Regent management is aware of these issues and I'm sure they'll take steps to correct them whenever possible.

If the 'mistakes' on Explorer bother you that much, there are plenty of other choices out there. Me? I'll sail on Explorer any time, poor sightlines and narrow landings notwithstanding.

Thank you UUNetBill for pointing out the silliness of people concentrating on a few (very few) flaws that will be fixed instead of what a wonderful ship Explorer is. We loved our cruise and are looking forward to our next. We did experienced the "whistling" but that was nothing compared to the beauty of the ship, the awesome service, wonderful food, and everything nice. It's sad that some people need to dwell on the unimportant things and complain. I'll take Explorer anytime even if they don't fix the little hiccups. That said, we also love Voyager, Mariner and Navigator. We'll look forward to the new ship regardless of what the name is.

The first Oceania "O" ship, Marina, also has a number of flaws, which were corrected on her sister ship Riviera. I believe Marina was then updated while in dry dock.

In any event, the issues weren't major and we have had no problems cruising in either ship...though we prefer Riviera.

And we similarly love Explorer, and after the New Years Panama Canal cruise we booked her August 9 Reykjavik to Copenhagen cruise.

As far as cabins are concerned, I think it is imperative that designers live for at least a week in a mock-up of their design. So much could be corrected at that point. We were on a Ponant cruise on a brand new ship. The design was stunning on first glance, then reality hit. The two closet doors were heavy and swung out into the narrow hall, blocking all traffic and confining whomever happened to be in the bathroom at the time as well as the door to the hall. There was also furniture in the room without real purpose or functionality that just cluttered up the place. Designers also need to pay attention to where plugs are placed and how people actually use the fixtures in the room.

Travelcat, f you win the naming contest, I am in line for your prize. Will admit to not being very clever when it comes to naming things, so will leave that to someone else.

But I did just about aspirate a blackberry when I read the post suggesting Vibrator as the ship name.

Travelcat, f you win the naming contest, I am in line for your prize. Will admit to not being very clever when it comes to naming things, so will leave that to someone else.

But I did just about aspirate a blackberry when I read the post suggesting Vibrator as the ship name.

IMO, Seven Seas Vibrator should be the nickname for the Navigator!

Regarding the poster that commented on suites, IMO, the F1/F2 and Concierge suites are the best of any Regent ship. The bathrooms look better than the photos I've seen of Silversea's Muse. It appears from the photos that your bathroom toiletries on the Muse are out in the open (as they are on Regent's other ships). I like the fact that there are enclosed places for anything you might want to store in the bathroom on the Explorer. Also, the shower is so much larger than other Regent ships (except for the Mariner's shower-only bathrooms) and the bathtub is a good size and not difficult to get into or out of.

O.K. cannot resist, after trying to digest "Vibrator" without a hick-up or two. As prologue, not sure which movie analogy would be most-appropriate:

1. Godfather III. Michael intones: Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in!

2. Goodfellas. You think I'm funny? Do I look funny? You laughing at me? (That last-one is probably more attributed to Taxi Driver). Admit I am the product of movies from late '40s Film Noir to French New Wave; and "Easy Rider" to "Full Metal Jacket". Been there--Vietnam. "Jacket" is very accurate. One of those saved my life.

Thus, opine new dragged-in recommended names for Explorer 2 as:

1. Based on expected voyages to eastern coast of Australia and other coral areas--"Reefer" Hey, "maryjane" now has a 61% approval rating in a recent Gallup. And, is legal for private use in Washington State, amongst others.

2. Based on the amount of cash we have already-paid; or will pay in the future to cruise Regent ships and perpetuate the Line:: "Investor".

As other have mentioned, will save more serious names for any serious contest which may ensue. Such a contest would be problematic. To save bruised feelings, just have Regent pick out the name.

That said: As we say in the Army--Signing off the [this] Net.

As always--GoARMY!