DFW to Rome or DFW to Barcelona flight prices

drob

Looking to cruise next June and trying to decide which port to cruise from. Flight wise, which city would offer better flight prices, flying in and out Rome or Barcelona?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Nobody will be able to truly answer the question, as fares change day by day, and week to week. You certainly could be looking at this year's airfares on a site like ita.matrix to get some info, but as always, this year's fares have little or no solid correlation to what next year's will be.

Thanks. We found great airfare flying into and sailing out of Barcelona a few years ago but didn't know if Rome would be more expensive to fly into this time around.

Rome offers more non stop flights from more carriers than Barcelona. More competition often equals lower rates.

However, it's not the number of non-stop carriers that matters. FWIW, there is only one non-stop per day from DTW to either city and that's to Rome. So I guess "more" is accurate in talking about 1 versus 0. It's a function of supply and demand between the city pairs considering multiple routings, including nonstops and connections.

You have some significant price pressure on fares into BCN delivered by TAP and Icelandair. However, much depends on market conditions closer in to your trip - you won't find schedules out for June 2018 until July of this year.

Personally, I'd pick the cruise that is more appealing to me and accept any air price differentials as the incidental cost of getting the trip I want. My cynical side says that if a couple hundred in air pricing is going to significantly change my opinion of a European cruise, I probably shouldn't be taking that trip in the first place. Go where you want to.

However, it's not the number of non-stop carriers that matters. FWIW, there is only one non-stop per day from DTW to either city and that's to Rome. So I guess "more" is accurate in talking about 1 versus 0. It's a function of supply and demand between the city pairs considering multiple routings, including nonstops and connections.

You have some significant price pressure on fares into BCN delivered by TAP and Icelandair. However, much depends on market conditions closer in to your trip - you won't find schedules out for June 2018 until July of this year.

Personally, I'd pick the cruise that is more appealing to me and accept any air price differentials as the incidental cost of getting the trip I want. My cynical side says that if a couple hundred in air pricing is going to significantly change my opinion of a European cruise, I probably shouldn't be taking that trip in the first place. Go where you want to.

It's the same cruise, we just have an option to board in Barcelona or Rome. Wouldn't mind departing from Rome this time but not if air fare is much higher.

It's the same cruise, we just have an option to board in Barcelona or Rome. Wouldn't mind departing from Rome this time but not if air fare is much higher.

Ah...so what we have is that you can either fly from DFW to Rome and back from Barcelona OR fly from DFW to Barcelona and back from Rome. At least that's what I take "it's the same cruise to mean", since how can you be in both BCN and FCO without those being the end points for a reverse routing pair.

If this is the case, then your air pricing will be roughly the same, as you will be getting an open jaw, with pricing being one half of the DFW-FCO roundtrip added to one half of the DFW-BCN roundtrip. There may be some variance, depending on the availability of specific buckets on the dates you wish, but that's impossible to tell this far out.

When you first posed your question, it came across as a choice of DFW-FCO roundtrips versus DFW-BCN roundtrips. So my question is....did you think it mattered which port you started from, even though the flight segments would be the same? (And yes, especially when flying business or first, departing from the UK is higher priced than just arriving there, but that's not applicable to FCO and BCN)

Looking to cruise next June and trying to decide which port to cruise from. Flight wise, which city would offer better flight prices, flying in and out Rome or Barcelona?

WAY too many things factor into price to be able to say in absolute terms that one or the other is cheaper. Depends on the dates of travel, the routing, the airline, the aircraft type, what else might be going on in either city that affects demand at a given time, competitor sales, how many seats have been sold so far/how many seats remain available, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

You may not be looking at the whole picture. :)

It is far easier to get on a cruise ship out of Barcelona (I take the cheap airport bus and walk) vs, being an hour away with flying into Rome. I cruise out of both with no issues, take the train to the port area from Rome, but it can run into a lot more money for those who want car service.

• 4 weeks later...

FlyerTalker,

I think Holland America and a few other lines have cruises that you can take from any number of ports. Their world cruise for example, combines several cruises into one.

drob,

We're taking a cruise out of Civitiveccia in Oct that will arrive in Barcelona for our B2b. I looked at prices for 2 years for 2 out of TPA to FCO or BCN business class through Celebrity's Choice Air. You'll find that the fairs are very close (within 200 bucks Business class). You can take a train from Rome Termini, or a taxi from FCO to the port I think the Taxi is around $150. I think that a flight into FCO and then trying to get to Rome via subway to the Termini and then a train to the cruise port would be challenging but not impossible. We opted to stay in Rome for 5 days :)

You may not be looking at the whole picture. :)

It is far easier to get on a cruise ship out of Barcelona (I take the cheap airport bus and walk) vs, being an hour away with flying into Rome. I cruise out of both with no issues, take the train to the port area from Rome, but it can run into a lot more money for those who want car service.

I think this is a good point. It is certainly easier / quicker to get to the ship in Barcelona than Rome even though low cost options exist for both.

A second option from Dallas is to fly to Madrid on AA. They have daily non-stop service which I used after a recent cruise that ended in Barcelona. Easy access to Barcelona on the train which all in may be faster and cheaper than a connection in some other city.