Alaskan King Crab Dinner in Vancouver

Is it possible to get an Alaskan King Crab Dinner at the end of May? We will be arriving early afternoon in Vancouver on Wednesday May 24, 2017 with our cruise leaving on Friday morning May 26, 2017. I know this is just outside crab season, so I was wondering if it's still a possibility?

Yes - with a But.

You can do it year-round here as some Chinese restaurants keep big tanks of live crabs, it's just more expensive outside peak season. But with live crabs you need to order a whole one - at least 8lbs, can go 10+ easily - so realistically you need at least 6 people, better 8 or 10, to really experience a full feast. If all you want are legs, then you're in the same boat as everywhere in Alaska (i.e. frozen, pre-cooked legs with the sweet flavour diminished).

You should definitely book a few days in advance specifically requesting a crab feast to ensure there's a 'crab with your name on' available. You will probably have to leave downtown core - you can try Kirin (two Vancouver branches, one downtown core and the other 12th Ave) but it's not a particular specialty of theirs. Restos that are definitely known for their crab feasts, in approximate order of distance: Dynasty on Broadway, Sun Sui Wah (Main St and another in Richmond), Red Star (Granville St and another in Richmond).

Thanks, I've see the link above and that's why we want to try it. I've sent Dynasty a fax, but have not heard back (still too early). I will be calling the 1st week of May to get this reserved. Thanks again for the responses.

Thanks, I've see the link above and that's why we want to try it. I've sent Dynasty a fax, but have not heard back (still too early). I will be calling the 1st week of May to get this reserved. Thanks again for the responses.
Every restaurant has a variation of the flavours... I think it's

• spicy
  • ginger & garlic
  • green onion & garlic
  • fried
  • baked Alaskan for the head/body

It's cost something extra like $20 for the combo 3-flavour option, but that's what we did when we can't decide and wanted to explore it all. Discuss your desires with the waiter.

You could try Coast restaraunt on Alberni street,it's an upscale seafood place.http://www.glowbalgroup.com/coast/ That is their companies website.

A fellow beer lover?

Coast (and Blue Water, even swankier) are great 'Western' crab restos but don't to my knowledge stock them live, so out of season it's the precooked legs on all their seafood platters. Not horrible, but IMO fresh Dungeness spanks frozen AKC six ways to Sunday (to be fair though, I also prefer Dungeness to AKC even when the latter is available live).