Reading Materials Onboard

thenoflygal

A relaxing Vacation equals Reading for me, so I am packing part of my suitcase with several books and my Kindle for our upcoming TA. I have never been before, so pardon my question, but what kind offerings do they have in the QM2 Bookstore? Do they sell magazines? New books? Paperbacks? All the things I read online only mention history books and sailing, which is wonderful, but I am curious about the offerings in case I don't see anything in the library that I like. Many Thanks!

Edited by thenoflygal

The book store has some selections but you are correct, many are shipping and history books. But, the library itself has over 10,000 books that you can check out. I always stop there early in my trip (day1, if possible) and read my QM2 books first. You can also donate any of the hard copy books you have brought with you if you do not want to carry them home. Katherine

• Like 1

A relaxing Vacation equals Reading for me, so I am packing part of my suitcase with several books and my Kindle for our upcoming TA. I have never been before, so pardon my question, but what kind offerings do they have in the QM2 Bookstore? Do they sell magazines? New books? Paperbacks? All the things I read online only mention history books and sailing, which is wonderful, but I am curious about the offerings in case I don't see anything in the library that I like. Many Thanks!

QM2 has a good library. It's something Cunard has always done well. They have a good stock of fiction, plenty of biographies and other nonfiction. IIRC, there's a corner for paperback exchanges. So you should be able to find things you like there. The bookstore does focus on maritime history. And if there's an author on board as a speaker, you may find some of his/her books for sale. The only paperback I can remember seeing for sale is the "Murder She Wrote" book that takes place on QE2, but there may have been others.

• Like 1

While it has been awhile since I sailed on QM2, her library/bookstore is one of my best memories. There were many nautical/ship related books for sale: so many that I had to restrict myself for fear that I would never be able to lift my luggage when they were packed. Loads of reading materials! Enjoyment was sitting in a chair in one of the "wings" of the library with a window in front of me overlooking the bow with a good book!

• Like 1

noflygal, I also love to read, therefore QM2 is the best ship at sea. Not only are there many topics and books to choose from, but there are fabulous nooks and crannies to settle down with a good book and a great view of the ocean.

• Like 1

Happy to hear that QM2 has a great library... was on a Celebrity ship recently, found library was just for decor, very disappointing... apparently no resources devoted to the library with so many passengers having kindles... I still like the feel of a good book in my hands. Always check out the library when I board any ship, will be on the QM2 in late September. First time on QM2.

• 1 year later...

The library on the QM2 is on two decks connected by an inner winding staircase. There is amazing selection of genres to choose from. I often ask the librarian to recommended an author that is popular in Britain that I might not find in United States for me to read while on board. It is truly a wonderful library with lots of travel guides to read up on ports you will be visiting. As mentioned previously, to get a comfortable seat at a window and read, is very relaxing but hard not to just sit and gaze out the window.

Edited by bellemere
used the wrong word for connected
  • Like 1

The library on the QM2 is on two decks connected by an inner winding staircase. There is amazing selection of genres to choose from. I often ask the librarian to recommended an author that is popular in Britain that I might not find in United States for me to read while on board. It is truly a wonderful library with lots of travel guides to read up on ports you will be visiting. As mentioned previously, to get a comfortable seat at a window and read, is very relaxing but hard not to just sit and gaze out the window.[/]

The library on QM2 is wonderful, but it's on only one level so there's no spiral staircase. Are you thinking of the library on Queen Victoria?

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

• Like 1

Thank you! The library sounds great, now I can't wait to check it out! I am also happy to hear about the potential for a book trade-in.

Hi, Donated books remain free to read (no time constraints), even when the other shelves in the library are closed Just take the book you are interested in reading, and enjoy. :)

I've also had good luck with the lending library and usually check out a book. I like history and biography, and have usually found something worth reading. Better than any other library I have found on any other ship. For instance, we are currently on board the Caribbean Princess, and the library there is just plain sad.

• Like 1

Does the Library has foreign language books?

I'm having no problem reading English books, but my Mother who is from Holland can only read in Dutch. So, far we always have been able to find a Dutch book or two on our Celebrity cruises.

Presume it will be the same on Cunard?

Does the Library has foreign language books?

I'm having no problem reading English books, but my Mother who is from Holland can only read in Dutch. So, far we always have been able to find a Dutch book or two on our Celebrity cruises.

Presume it will be the same on Cunard?

Hallo Waihekean. Yes the QM2 library has books in several languages, but sorry to say - apparently not Dutch.

"Queen Mary 2 Holds approximately 8400 English and 800 German book. The rest of 10 000 books are Japanese, Spanish, Italian and French." - quoted from https://ask.cunard.com/help/fleet/library

Goede reis,

Salacia

• Like 1

Hallo Waihekean. Yes the QM2 library has books in several languages, but sorry to say - apparently not Dutch.

"Queen Mary 2 Holds approximately 8400 English and 800 German book. The rest of 10 000 books are Japanese, Spanish, Italian and French." - quoted from https://ask.cunard.com/help/fleet/library

Dank je wel Salacia:D It is not too much of a problem really, as we are leaving from her hometown, so we are just have to make sure she does not forget to take some books with her.

• Like 1