Flying into Ft. Lauderdale, cruising out of Miami with a wheelchair

Kcheine

We will be flying into Ft. Lauderdale the day before our cruise leaves out of Miami. I am traveling alone with my 15 and 12 yr old. My son is in a wheelchair. My question is should I spend the night in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami near the Port. Last time I flew into Ft. Lauderdale at night, I had a hard time getting a wheelchair accessible taxi. What are my best options with wheelchair and all the luggage? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We will be flying into Ft. Lauderdale the day before our cruise leaves out of Miami. I am traveling alone with my 15 and 12 yr old. My son is in a wheelchair. My question is should I spend the night in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami near the Port. Last time I flew into Ft. Lauderdale at night, I had a hard time getting a wheelchair accessible taxi. What are my best options with wheelchair and all the luggage? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If Flying into ft. Lauderdale

• Check with SuperShuttle

If Flying into Miami

Regardless of what city you stay it's important that you know the following. If the Hotel provides a non-accessible shuttle from the Airport to the hotel for abled-bodied quests than under ADA Law they must provide accessible transportation for the disabled guest. If the shuttle is free for abled-bodied quests than the hotel has to provide accessible transportation for their disabled guest free of charge regardless of the cost of the accessible transportation. If there's a fee charged to abled-bodied guests than the hotel only charge the disabled the same price regardless of the cost of the accessible transportation.

My only suggestion would be that if you need to travel between Fort Lauderdale and Miami on a weekday, you might want to stay in Miami since traffic could be bad between the two cities. On a Saturday or Sunday you should be fine.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm at best western on near airport route84 and they said they have no assessable van for wheelchair. We are staying pre and day after cruise at best western they said I should get yellow cab.

When we visited Fort Lauderdale Yellow Cab had several wheelchair accessible cabs. Since you are staying in Fort Lauderdale, you probably could not ask a Miami taxi company to pick you up in Fort Lauderdale (jurisdiction). But I'm sure Fort Lauderdale Yellow Cab can take you to your Miami dock.

When you exit the terminal, ask for a van. They take you right to the gate and put you in the ship terminal where you wait for a Porter to take you through the Customs, ship ID and then up the ramp to the ship. They Check your ID as you top the ram on the ship and turn you loose. You do get priority boarding due to the extra time it takes. My wife has a power scooter so it's even faster getting on. Good luck and enjoy.

• 6 months later...

Just returned from our cruise on the Carnival Vista out of Miami. We had a great time BUT I do want to tell you about our bad experience trying to get a wheelchair accessible taxi in Miami to the port on the day of sailing. We stayed at the Hampton Inn Miami Brickell Downtown. The hotel called for a wheelchair accessible taxi to pick us up at 11:15 on day of cruise. Well, no one showed up. They tried to call the company and no answer. We started to call around to other taxi companies and they were either closed or not answering their phones. 2 different companies said "MAYBE" they could come in an hour or another one said half hour. I was panicking. Ship was sailing at 4:30. I had my 2 children with me who would be devastated if we missed the ship. Finally after crying to lady at Yellow Cab (305)444-4444, she said she knew someone who would come get me. Jean Altidor called me saying he would be there in 15 to 20 minutes and gave me his cab number. When his wheelchair accessible taxi pulled up, I hugged him, crying and thanking him. He gave me his card for next time I am in Miami. (Friendly Car Service - 786-479-6268) This was such a stressful way to start our cruise. How do I prevent this from ever happening again? Stay at hotel at airport, I guess. The list the airport gives of wheelchair accessible taxi companies is a complete lie. I want to pursue this further so it never happens to someone else again. Just a headups for anyone trying to travel in the Miami area with a wheelchair.

Thank you. Thank you for this post. I will be traveling with my wheelchair bound daughter in October flying into Ft. Lauderdale and also cruising out of Miami. I am placing this number in my cell phone just in case we need it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums