Honolulu question - Discover Hawaii Tours

Babewho

This question isn't cruise-related, and if that isn't allowed, I'll delete.

We ARE going on a Hawaiian cruise in October, 2017, but my question is about what to do when in Honolulu during a 3-night stay that I won through a radio contest. I found a couple of good possibilities by searching online, and those that appeal most are through Discover Hawaii Tours. Does anyone have any experience with this company? TIA

Visit Pearl Harbor, and all of the other associated museums. Bishop Museum and Iolani Palace are both wonderful places to learn about Hawaiian history. You can reach all of these places by http://www.TheBus.org

Don't know about tour company is question, but Oahu is a great place to visit and really not necessary to get expensive tours to see lots on a wonderful island.

Edited by Cruz'n Couple

Visit Pearl Harbor' date=' and all of the other associated museums. Bishop Museum and Iolani Palace are both wonderful places to learn about Hawaiian history. You can reach all of these places by http://www.TheBus.org

Don't know about tour company is question, but Oahu is a great place to visit and really not necessary to get expensive tours to see lots on a wonderful island.[/quote']

Thanks!

Not sure the name but we booked online with bus company that offered red, green and blue bus line hop on hop off excellent deal, no parking or driving and saw most everything on island. We stayed at Queen kapolani balcony view of Diamond head and beach. Bus stop on next block.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

If you want a great private tour guide in Oahu, call Josh 808-489-4074 or message through Facebook at Choose your Adventure. I believe he charges $48. per hour and you can do a private, custom tour. He knows everything about the island and its history. He is reliable and by time he dropped us off at the airport, it felt like he was family. I would advise booking ahead of time.

We just did the Pearl Harbor/Aloha Swap Meet combo tour with Discover Hawaii Tours two weeks ago. They picked us up at the Waikiki Beach Marriott at 6:15am. They were on time and pretty organized, the tour went smoothly and the price was good.

We did joke that it was the tour that never ended. Our paperwork said they'd pick us up at 6:15am and return us to our hotel around 2pm. They picked us up from the Swap Meet at 1pm, and we expected to head back to our hotel at that point. Everyone on the bus was falling asleep and exhausted. Instead of heading back to the Waikiki hotels, the driver stopped for 20 minutes at Iolani Palace for photos. He then was about to take us to Punch Bowl Cemetery, but there was an event so it was closed to the public. Even without the Cemetery stop, we still didn't get back to our hotel until after 4pm. Not sure if he mixed up our tour, if the tour paperwork omitted this info, or what happened. I guess we got to see and hear a lot about Honolulu for the money we paid, but it was a very long day!

We also did a tour to Diamond Head with Oahu Nature Tours and I'd recommend them as well. They were on time, organized, and full of good info.

If you haven't left yet, the Polynesian Cultural Centre is good, also the Waikiki Zoo.

We are going in early February, 2017. Thanks so much for your suggestions. The Polynesian Centre was something we were considering. We didn't realize there was a zoo. Wish we had more than three days!

We are going in early February, 2017. Thanks so much for your suggestions. The Polynesian Centre was something we were considering. We didn't realize there was a zoo. Wish we had more than three days!

The Zoo is right in Wiakiki, it is really cheap! I know too many things to do, can't fit it all in, but the Polynesian Cultural Centre is really good. Especially the show at the end.:)

FWIW, our tour guide with Discover Hawaii Tours told our group that the Honolulu Zoo was small and not worth a visit. Obviously her opinion but we got the impression it was nothing special. She did say the Honolulu Aquarium was good and worth it.

FWIW, our tour guide with Discover Hawaii Tours told our group that the Honolulu Zoo was small and not worth a visit. Obviously her opinion but we got the impression it was nothing special. She did say the Honolulu Aquarium was good and worth it.

It has been quite a while since we went , at that time it was the best zoo I had been to.

nkereina....was this what you did? I posted a new thread asking about the same time this one started (didn't see this before I started the new one) regarding the Discover Hawaii Tour. It sounds like a great tour but a really exhausting day. But...reading TA sounds like they have a lot of mess ups. Price seems too cheap for a full day tour...

....just wondering!

http://www.discoverhawaiitours.com/activities/oahu-circle-island-with-pearl-harbor-tour/

• 3 weeks later...

We did a few tours with Discover Hawaii Tours. They were wonderful. The drivers were very friendly and knew lots of history of the area.

We will definitely be using them again for our tours when we go.

I highly recommend this company!! :)

• 5 months later...
The Zoo is right in Wiakiki, it is really cheap! I know too many things to do, can't fit it all in, but the Polynesian Cultural Centre is really good. Especially the show at the end.:)

Hi Merinski - when you went to the Polynesian Cultural Centere did you rent a car or was there a better form of transportation? We would like to go there on the day we board the ship or the next day when we have the whole day in port but not sure on transportation and would we get back to the ship in time??? So confused.

Thanks

We did a few tours with Discover Hawaii Tours. They were wonderful. The drivers were very friendly and knew lots of history of the area.

We will definitely be using them again for our tours when we go.

I highly recommend this company!! :)

We can recommend the tour company also. Spend the most of 3 days with them and the following cruise to Alaska gave us time to relax and recoup!

Hi Merinski - when you went to the Polynesian Cultural Centere did you rent a car or was there a better form of transportation? We would like to go there on the day we board the ship or the next day when we have the whole day in port but not sure on transportation and would we get back to the ship in time??? So confused.

We did a whole day tour for PCC. They picked us up at our hotel around 7 a.m. & brought us back around 10 p.m. It was called the grand circle island tour package.

PCC is clear on the other side of the island from the port -- at least 1.5 hour drive without traffic. traffic is nuts, worse then NYC or LA.

If you have a deadline to be back -- e.g. missing the ship -- this might be a tough excursion. The best parts of PCC -- the luau & the fire show will be after you sail.

Skip the zoo. It lost accreditation in 2016. The Aquarium is, however, a gem

Skip the zoo. It lost accreditation in 2016. The Aquarium is, however, a gem

I wholeheartedly agree. Even if others say it is the most wonderful zoo they have ever seen, it's funny how a zebra in Waikiki looks exactly like a zebra in Indiana. If I've flown or cruised a few thousand miles to an exotic location like Hawaii, I want to see things like Pearl Harbor, a luau, surfing, beautiful coastlines and mountains that I won't see elsewhere. I might make an exception for young children with a lot of time to fill when there is nothing else suitable, but most kids would probably prefer even a simple beach day and a ride in an outrigger canoe, or any number of other activities over a zoo.