Day One: To St. George's ONLY

ajtraveler66

Will be on the NCL Breakaway in August, and our first day we would like to spend a leisurely day at St. George's...and then come on back to the boat.

We are a party of four. First question: Ferry versus Cab Driver?

If we do the ferry, what is the best time to catch it for a leisurely day [Don't want to fight crowds getting onto the ferry from the moment we get off the cruise ship....wondering if it's better to wait a bit and catch a later ferry.]

Is the ferry direct to St. George's from the cruise ship dock? If not, what route would you recommend.

Also....while in St. George's where would you recommend we have lunch/dinner? What about high tea at the Perfume place (forget the exact name).

St. George is about as far from Dockyard that you can get so a cab is not going to be cheap. The rates are per cab so dividing by four wouldn't be so much of a bite but still way more than the ferry. I enjoy the ferry ride.

Yes, the ferry it is a direct route to St. George and faster than a cab. From the schedule, the first ferry is at 10:00 and the next is 11:45 so even IF there are crowds, I would go for the 10:00. The later one would take up too much of your day.

There are a number of restaurants and it depends on what you want...big meal, light fare? The high tea is Sweet Pea's at the Perfumery and they do require reservations. Some have reported being accommodated without but it's a very small place and I wouldn't count on getting in with no reservation. Be aware that tea is only offered on

Wed. and Sat.

Here's the ferry schedule. You take the Orange Route from Dockyard to St. George. If the Breakaway is on its normal schedule, Wednesday is your first day in Bermuda, and the morning ferries leave Dockyard at 9:30 and 11:30:

http://www.seaexpress.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer%20Schedule%202016_FInal%20Web.pdf

A taxi would be very expensive...about $75 plus tip in each direction.

The place in St. George that serves afternoon tea is Sweet P at the Bermuda Perfumery. For lunch, Wahoo's is one of the better restaurants in St. George.

If we do the ferry, what is the best time to catch it for a leisurely day [Don't want to fight crowds getting onto the ferry from the moment we get off the cruise ship....wondering if it's better to wait a bit and catch a later ferry.]

Is the ferry direct to St. George's from the cruise ship dock? If not, what route would you recommend.

The ferries don't leave from the cruise ship dock. They leave from the ferry dock which is a short distance away, a few minutes walk from the cruise ship berths.

As for crowds, I don't think waiting for the 11:30 for a ferry means less crowds. At all the Bermuda attractions it is the afternoon that is most crowded. I never had to fight crowds to get on the 9:30 ferry. No matter which time you will have to line up. They don't board the ferries until ten or less minutes before departure.

As far as taxi versus ferry as has been mentioned a taxi will cost about $75 to get to St. George's. Also consider that it will be about an hour and five minute drive in a taxi as opposed to a 45 minute ferry trip. I would take the ferry over the taxi not only because of cost. The ferry trip is better than a long taxi trip.

Edited by Charles4515

• 2 weeks later...
While we're on the subject, can someone quickly go over the way to pay the ferry fares? Do they take cash? Do you need to buy tokens? If so, where do you buy them?

You can pay with cash ($5 bill or coins of equal value), token ($4.50), one or two day Transportation Pass or ticket. If you pay in cash, they do not make change.

Tokens and TP are sold at the Visitor Information Center of which there are 3 at the Dockyard. When you exit your cruise ship, there is a VIC in the building you will immediately enter. Booklet of 15 tickets is only sold in Hamilton.

SBtS

Edited by SailBadtheSinner
speling

While we're on the subject, can someone quickly go over the way to pay the ferry fares? Do they take cash? Do you need to buy tokens? If so, where do you buy them?

If you go to the Visitor Info center by the ship, there will be a line.

So, head to the ferry area, and there is another Visitor Info Center right there, purchase your tokens there.

• 2 weeks later...
I read in one of the websites that you can no longer buy tokens and multi-day passes in the Royal Dockyard Visitor Centers. Can someone confirm whether this is true?

Not true. You can buy tokens and two day passes at the Dockyard Visitor centers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Can you pay with visa for passes or for several tokens? Is there a service charge? Is it better to have exact change in US dollars?

As I recall they have imposed a surcharge for purchases made with a credit card. You don't need exact change to buy passes or tokens, they'll make change.

Can you pay with visa for passes or for several tokens? Is there a service charge? Is it better to have exact change in US dollars?

They were taking Visa at the Visitor Information Centers. But there was a service charge, I believe 3 % for using a credit card. So I have been paying with cash. You don't need exact change to buy tokens or passes at the Visitor Information Centers. They will give you change. You only need exact change for buses because the fare goes into a fare box that does not take currency.