NZ Wine: Rising Popularity, Why??!!

Tried to multi quote to include Uncle Les'comment but couldn't manage it :o

The point is so many of the wines offered onboard are really, really cheap to buy in the local bottle shop. Under $10. They're not considered premium wines in any way, shape or form but once on the ship the fact people recognise their name makes them expensive so suddenly they sell for $30+.

I know, but a lot of restaurants on land do exactly the same. :(

To be fair you shouldn't compare the retail price of a wine with the onboard price. It should be compared with what that wine would sell for in a local restaurant, as then the price includes all the overheads associated with providing a varied wine list and serving it.

Whaaaat, 500% mark up, over the top.

The accepted mark up in catering , or the general rule of thumb , is for a markup of 300%.

Such a level is required , as said above to cover overheads such as rent, wages, general upkeep etc.

The accepted mark up in catering , or the general rule of thumb , is for a markup of 300%.

Such a level is required , as said above to cover overheads such as rent, wages, general upkeep etc.

Makes me wonder just how much the wineries actually make.

My golf club, Catalina Country Club, does 100% mark up, i.e. Yellowtail, rrp $8, club restaurant is $16.

:halo:

The big retailers, Dan Murphy, 1st Choice etc have the wine makers over a barrel so to speak, cutting them to the bone. Thus the cruise companies can buy cheaper too.

I don't find Kiwi wines expensive. You can find NZ sem sav blac for under $10 in the discount liquor stores. I buy the same for under $5 from Grays online auction and that includes buyers premium and $20/carton delivery.

I don't find Kiwi wines expensive. You can find NZ sem sav blac for under $10 in the discount liquor stores. I buy the same for under $5 from Grays online auction and that includes buyers premium and $20/carton delivery.

Indeed I buy mine on line from 1st Choice liquor, buy $150 worth and free delivery. The more you drink the more you save.:wine-glass:

Currently have a good stock of Wolf Blass Eagle Hawk range, whites and reds, for $5 a bottle you cannot go wrong, good everyday quaffer.

Can't beat a Marlborough Sav Blanc. $6.99 from my local bottle shop and great quality with it. I understand NZ Sav Blanc is the top selling wine variety in Australia!!!. Goes great with pavlova (another great thing from NZ). Ok now I am having a stir!.

Can't beat a Marlborough Sav Blanc. $6.99 from my local bottle shop and great quality with it. I understand NZ Sav Blanc is the top selling wine variety in Australia!!!. Goes great with pavlova (another great thing from NZ). Ok now I am having a stir!.

Goes well with lamb as well, although most would prefer a red wine.

But there is Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc with extremes of quality and priced accordingly from $5 to $50. Nobilo Sauv Blanc on QM2 recently was US$50 per bottle plus the 15% gratuity. Get it here in the liquor markets for AU$20. So 400% mark up on Cunard ships, so what's new.:loudcry:

But there is Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc with extremes of quality and priced accordingly from $5 to $50. Nobilo Sauv Blanc on QM2 recently was US$50 per bottle plus the 15% gratuity. Get it here in the liquor markets for AU$20. So 400% mark up on Cunard ships, so what's new.:loudcry:

Mark ups on ships and in restaurants are par for the course no matter where you go.

Mark ups on ships and in restaurants are par for the course no matter where you go.

They have a captive audience. But many of the registered clubs in NSW have less mark up, like my golf club, by order of the board..max 100% mark up.:D The Soldiers Club (RSL) much the same.

I like the BYO eateries, even with a corkage charge, $5 per bottle is ok, but $10 getting a bit steep, that is the norm in Batemans Bay.:loudcry:

They have a captive audience. But many of the registered clubs in NSW have less mark up, like my golf club, by order of the board..max 100% mark up.:D The Soldiers Club (RSL) much the same.

I like the BYO eateries, even with a corkage charge, $5 per bottle is ok, but $10 getting a bit steep, that is the norm in Batemans Bay.:loudcry:

Slugging all those ACTers that come in for a cheap meal.

Slugging all those ACTers that come in for a cheap meal.

Actually golf club members many of whom reside in the NATCAP get a discount on drinks and tucker @ www.clubcatalina.com

You have a few decent registered clubs over your way as well.;p

But getting back to the topic, the most over priced drinks I have encountered on a ship is on Cunard - QM2 recently. US$12 plus 15% gratuity for a glass of 'house merlot' is not nice. Cheapest bottle of vino in MDR, some ordinary Italian Trebbiano was from memory US$32 plus 15% grat.:evilsmile: No wonder our US$450 obc was gonzo in the first week.:loudcry:

The QM2 Sommeliers were really pushing the NZ Sauvignon Blancs, they must have had big stocks.

Well just about time to crack a bottle of $5 Wolf Blass Eaglehawk Chardonnay, 'she who must be obeyed' is a trifle thirsty.' Those grandkids drive one to drink.

Actually golf club members many of whom reside in the NATCAP get a discount on drinks and tucker @ www.clubcatalina.com

You have a few decent registered clubs over your way as well.;p

But getting back to the topic, the most over priced drinks I have encountered on a ship is on Cunard - QM2 recently. US$12 plus 15% gratuity for a glass of 'house merlot' is not nice. Cheapest bottle of vino in MDR, some ordinary Italian Trebbiano was from memory US$32 plus 15% grat.:evilsmile: No wonder our US$450 obc was gonzo in the first week.:loudcry:

The QM2 Sommeliers were really pushing the NZ Sauvignon Blancs, they must have had big stocks.

Well just about time to crack a bottle of $5 Wolf Blass Eaglehawk Chardonnay, 'she who must be obeyed' is a trifle thirsty.' Those grandkids drive one to drink.

Enjoy Les.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting observation from Rabobanks Melbourne office....

The Country: Rabobank’s senior wine analyst reviews the bank’s latest Wine Quarterly Report which sees New Zealand overtake Australia in exports, by value not volume, into the lucrative US market.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/regionals-video-channel/news/video.cfm?c_id=1503495&gal_cid=1503495&gallery_id=175020