Verandah restaurant on QM2 - is it worth the extra charge?

Devon Bloke

We're thinking of eating in the Verandah restaurant one night.

I'd be interested in others opinions/reviews of it, please.

Also, if we book a table on line now, but then subsequently change our mind when on board...will we still be charged the $49.95 per person?

I personally disagree

No way is the upcharge worth it. However The QM2 is better than the QE.

But that is my personal opinion. But then really you have to judge for your self we all have different tastes and reasons for being seen there.

Also, if we book a table on line now, but then subsequently change our mind when on board...will we still be charged the $49.95 per person?

I think it is getting quite an increase these days but personally it is (or always has been for us) a superb evening and I have never regretted the experiences. I do agree with Lanky Lad that to spend that extra $100 for two if you are already in the Grills and have the choice of anything on the ship then I don't frequent the Verandah (unless it's a free lunch). My advice would be to give it a go.

I do not think it is necessary to book online but if you do want specific times then book reasonably quick when you are on board.

As alternative dining venues can be very popular, should you be unable to meet your dinner reservation, please notify us at least 12 hours before the time of your booking, to avoid the $8.00 cancellation charge. A cancellation charge will not be applied if transferring to a different time / date.

Purchasing the cover charge does not secure a date or time, you will need to confirm a date and time once you are on board.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/cover_charges

As ever, many thanks for the advice. We're travelling in Britannia, so the point about if your travelling in the Grills is well made. We have previously had lunch in Todd English on a previous QM2 TA and weren't that impressed. Hence my interest in what the Verandah might be like.

Pennbank: thank you for signposting me to the appropriate section on the Cunard FAQs which I had overlooked. Cheers

For Canadians, the charge works out to almost $70 in our money. Certainly that is not a lot to pay for a meal in an upscale restaurant, but when I remember that I have already paid for our meals this does seem excessive. We have been treated by our travel agent or friends to dinner in Todd English and recently the Verandah. Both were very good but I can't say I was overwhelmed.

As others have said, it is not worth it if you are travelling in the Grills or even Britannia Club. To me, when travelling in Britannia, the best aspect of the Verandah is the ability to choose your dining time. We find the first sitting in Britannia to be too early and the second sitting a bit late.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/cover_charges

Interesting to see the subtle difference in charging on the QE. I am sure most people will end up paying more than $35.

We had an excellent meal in the Verandah on the QV Lusitania Cruise two years ago which we booked via VP on-line (it was fully booked when we got on board) but I am sure the cost then was only $24 pp??

On the QE a month later I think we paid $29 pp but we did not enjoy the meal so much at all.

We have not been for a meal in the Verandah on the QM2 but given that you have already paid for your your food then $49.95pp additional charge in our opinion is now too much. It certainly put us off when on our recent QM2 cruise.

Everyone to their own however I am sure you will enjoy your Cruise either way. We really enjoyed the QM2 Sydney to Hong Kong.

We found the food in the Verandah on WM2 to be very, very good. IMHO it's worth the uncharge, but only if we have OBC that we can't use otherwise (internet, booze, etc.). But if you do it, absolutely make sure you don't sit next to the service station where the noise of crashing dishes is disturbing and like being next to a high school cafeteria.

We dined once in the Veranda restaurant on the QE as it was my husbands birthday that night. We dressed up even though it wasn't a formal night and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The cooking was amazing. Had the some of the best tastes of food ever, it was a very memorable experience. I would say if you are a foodie then try it.

Hi,

I have had lunch in the QM2's Verandah Restaurant during two recent cruises (Canada/New England cruise in late September 2016 and World Cruise segment in early April 2017). Because I am World Club Diamond level, I received a voucher for a free lunch both times. The meals were nice and the room is attractive, but I would not pay much extra for the experience. However, it might be better for dinner.

Chuck

• 11 months later...

I don't think we would do dinner in the Verandah however what about lunch? Is lunch there significantly better then lunch in Britannia?

Also, how does one see the menu either before or at the start of the cruise, is it posted outside the restaurant?

Yes of course a Lunch in the Verandah is better than what would be on offer for lunch in the Britannia restaurant, for all sorts of reasons;

For a modest supplement you can have a change of culinary scenery.

An enhanced menu , usually serving French specialities.

Attentive service.

Ideal venue for celebrating a special occasion.

The Verandah restaurant ( across the fleet) is open for lunch 'on sea days only', To purse the menu, copies ( together with a wine list) are usually on a table outside or, just walk into the restaurant and ask to see one

Hi - The QM2 Verandah is certainly far better than its predecessor restaurant 'Todd English' - which we found to be totally lacking and not worth any supplement for either lunch or dinner.

- The service and food is good - but then we find the food very good in either Britannia or The Grills.

- The Verandah on QE have a design feel similar to the old Queen Mary - less so the QM2, it is a bit large and spread-out.

- Certainly on QM2 I would not go for lunch as it overlooks the open deck and IMO that spoils the atmosphere; unless you like overlooking sunning passengers and one of the pools - bar areas!!

- Regardless of which grade of cabin you have (Britannia(club) or Grills) "is it worth the supplement"? - possibly if your on a long cruise and want a change the premium could be worth it. Or if you want a quieter more romantic experience. Enjoy.

We have had lunch in the Verandah on both the QM2 and Queen Victoria last year we enjoyed both, great service. The only trouble with the QM2 was people walking thro from sun bathing to their cabins, something should and could be done about that.🙂😡