Anchorage Hotel Help Needed....

S&M in Pgh

• 5 weeks later...

I was born and raised in Anchorage and am very familiar with the city. I'd recommend staying downtown if you want to do some fun things. The hotels in midtown are fine if you're going to rent a car, but if not, I recommend downtown hotels.

The Captain Cook is probably the best hotel in the city. It's pretty $$$, but a gorgeous hotel and in a great location. The next option would be the Anchorage Hilton. Both of these hotels are within walking distance of everything. Downtown Anchorage is very flat and easy to get around. The farmer's market, all the great restaurants, the Alaska Experience Theater, etc. are very easy to walk to.

Another great option would be the Historic Anchorage Hotel, The Voyager Inn and then the Sheraton. I'd stay away from Anchorage Lofts Hotel.

Check out TripAdvisor for a great list too.

You didn't ask about restaurants but check out Humpy's for great pub food, The Lucky Wishbone for the best cheeseburgers and fried chicken on the planet, Club Paris for an amazing steak, Simon & Seaforts for great food and drinks (and view!).

Enjoy Anchorage!

We will be arriving in Anchorage 2 days before the cruise departs and plan on staying in Anchorage as that is not enough time for Denali.

Does anyone one have a favorite hotel or one to avoid?

Thanks.

My recommendations for a restaurant and a hotel would be the Anchorage Marriott Hotel, also not inexpensive, but superlative service and accommodations. Glacier Brewhouse is an excellent restaurant and is in the downtown area. My Anchorage-residing relatives recommend reservations when possible for the restaurant.