"VIP Shopping" in Cartagena for emeralds...Legit?

Onboard the Mariner headed to Cartagena and there are VIP shopping lectures (?) with strong recommendations for 2 Emerald shops from the Regent reps...is this legit or does regent get a kickback or referral fee?

We're being told to bring a VIP card so they know we're on the Mariner to get the best deal...seems like announcing that we're suckers?

Anyone have any insight as to whether the deals are better or worse?

Thanks all...

In five minutes of research, I learned a heck of a lot about purchasing emeralds in Cartagena. There are scams (generally for cruise ship passengers) and quality emeralds. Suggest you Google "Buying emeralds in Cartagena) and read some of the articles. Unless someone can give you the name of a specific store on CC, your best bet would be to check out the articles.

Good luck!

No inference...just asking if anyone has any experience. The fine print says "while shopping ashore you can be assured of quality, customer service and authenticity" so I guess there's some assurance you won't get green glass i guess...just not sure if anyone has experience with the price competitiveness...

Also in the fine print..."RSSC recommended shopping program is handled by Harding Retail" so they must make some money from the program if they're outsourcing it

Harding Retail does handle the Boutiques onboard Regent ships (and many other cruise lines) and they definitely make money from their sales. As most of us know, the pricing in the Boutiques is not as good of a "deal" as some of us think that they are. Really don't care what that infers -- it is what it is.

Getting back on point, there are few recent recommendations on the Cruise Critic boards but did find this thread from 2013. IMO, if a store was good in 2013, it is likely just as good now. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1942764 (hope that this link works).

TripAdvisor (Cruise Critic's sister company) would be another good place to ask this question.

We were taken to an emerald store as part of a regent tour. It seemed fine if you were in the market for jewelry, which I wasn't, no high pressure. I just told them I was browsing.

First of all this should be part of Regent tour or any tour. If someone wants to buys something you'll be able to find a store-you have many outlets with you PC to find the shop you will want to visit. And you should know almost everything about them with making that type of a purchase.

Ronrick, I am thinking you meant "shouldn't" rather than should, and I totally agree. I absolutely despise shopping tours. This was the last stop on what was otherwise a great tour, and could have just been skipped imo.

I really hate to see Regent (or any line of their caliber and price range) becoming involved in marketing for stores in the ports. In a word, it is sleazy. When we were on the Mariner earlier this month, I noticed that ads for stores in the next port were placed on our bed along with the next day's schedule. This must be a fairly new practice, as this was not done on our last Regent cruise two years ago. I believe there were also "port talks" -- not about sites and activities but about stores, although we did not attend. This kind of thing should be left to budget lines like NCL and RCI. Could this have anything to do with Regent now being owned by NCL?

I didn't consider the ads on the bed to be a big problem. After all, there was a convenient trash can in the suite. And as to the "port talks" nobody was forced to attend and we didn't. But I do consider it out of character for Regent.

I really hate to see Regent (or any line of their caliber and price range) becoming involved in marketing for stores in the ports. In a word, it is sleazy. When we were on the Mariner earlier this month, I noticed that ads for stores in the next port were placed on our bed along with the next day's schedule. This must be a fairly new practice, as this was not done on our last Regent cruise two years ago. I believe there were also "port talks" -- not about sites and activities but about stores, although we did not attend. This kind of thing should be left to budget lines like NCL and RCI. Could this have anything to do with Regent now being owned by NCL?

I didn't consider the ads on the bed to be a big problem. After all, there was a convenient trash can in the suite. And as to the "port talks" nobody was forced to attend and we didn't. But I do consider it out of character for Regent.

Agree with you 100%. Regent used to put ads for their horrible art auctions on the bed. We were happy when the art auctions went away. I don't think this is NCL related but it is tacky nevertheless.