Dance Hosts

Whirled Peas

We took lesssons a few years ago and mastered - just about - a few steps, of a (very) few dances, but we felt totally "in the way" onboard. There are those "showy" dancers who fling their arms around and twirl and dip and actually scowled when we were in their way! Not intentionally, but we obviously weren't aware of the rules.

We sometimes watch but actually generally keep well away nowadays - which is a shame.

But hey ho!

As long as people move in the right direction around the floor for the traveling dances, there is no reason everyone shouldn't feel comfortable on the floor (going opposite to the flow does create a problem but anyone can figure out if the flow around the floor by watching for a few moments before joining). Truly good dancers understand how to navigate (floor craft) and how to adjust all of their moves - including their arms - based on what is happening on the floor. If you encounter dancers who try to make you feel uncomfortable or, heaven forbid those who get in your way on purpose as another on this thread said they do (so uncouth), then you are encountering poor dancers. It is so sad to hear there are some who want to dance who don't as they don't feel welcomed on the floor. We were all beginners at some point and good manners say we should welcome all dancers at all levels - encourage the beginners and enjoy the elegance of the more experienced while making room for all. Please come and join the dance! It is a wonderful form of exercise and a great way of expressing yourself!

Oh my, I'm sure glad I don't have a dog in this fight!!:D

We dance American Smooth & Latin with a lot of open holds, and found it perfectly acceptable in the Queen's Ballroom on a crossing. Of course on Ball nights where everybody that can dance does, and so do a number of those that can't, you just adjust yer floor craft to the space available, and sometimes there wasn't any.

As far as ability goes, I always mention that you are dancing for yerselves and not other people, so enjoy it when you can.

I note that Foxy and the usual suspects are on this board, so I'll bookmark it for the entertainment value alone. I did find the concept of playing "Spite & Malice" with other dance dance couples to be interesting.

After taking about ten years of lessons we took a sabbatical, but have started dancing and lessons again in social ballroom as a tune up.

As we cruise a number of lines we found the Queen's to be the best venue we've yet encountered, although, the old Fox does mention P&O as an alternative. Next up Barcelona to Rome by way of Gibraltar on Princess, a line that doesn't put a lot of effort into providing dance opportunities much less "Dance Hosts"!!

AS the OP of this thread, I convey my apologies. I had no idea I would be the catalyst for a dust up of this caliber. Gosh, I just want to feel like a princess in my fancy dress, with a prince charming (or even a prince almost-charming) whisking me away for three minutes of make-believe.

AS the OP of this thread, I convey my apologies. I had no idea I would be the catalyst for a dust up of this caliber. Gosh, I just want to feel like a princess in my fancy dress, with a prince charming (or even a prince almost-charming) whisking me away for three minutes of make-believe.

And so you SHALL go to the ball Whiled Peas, you just have to ignore all the ugly sisters and stepmoms who want to spoil your night.

Just remember that its YOU who gets the glass slipper and the prince from your dancing skills...not those others...

Thanks Roscoe and Camgirl, for being my fairy god-cruisers! I will screw up the courage to dance, in low-heeled shoes, remembering to count to three, or four, depending on the music, and making sure I rush back to my suite before the stroke of midnight (or before the REAL dancers have a stroke watching me!).

Bibbity Bobbity!

Not a problem Lady jus get out there and dance with who brung ya, you'll have a wonderful time and so will he.

As one who grew up dancing and finally got into ballroom, you come to recognize that it can be a highly regimented art form, or not, depending on what you want to pursue. But, it is a unique form of human expression, so enjoy it every chance that you get!!

Now to the important question, what are whirled peas??

Well talking of 'dance hosts' I was rather touched to receive an invitation by email yesterday to become one.

Now that would put the cat among the pigeons except that it was for 'duty' on a Saga ship.

On the plus side I noted that there was no charges made while on the minus side I have experienced said ships and felt so sorry for the guys lack of activity I volunteered my wife to keep them in practice.

Your wife didn't mind that you volunteered her?

Hello Whirled Peas, sister & daughter.

I've been following your thread with interest over the last few weeks. I'd just like to reassure you ladies that you are all going to have the time of your life, on the forthcoming 'Transatlantic Fashion Week'. I was fortunate to do the same TFW voyage last year and immediately booked it again for 2017. It was an enjoyable experience.

Not only that ! but I'm also an avid ballroom dancer , not a gentleman host and I don't do fancy steps, however, I'm often found every evening in the Queens Room.

So ladies ! I shall be looking out for you three and will make my self known on the first day at sea (shortly after midday) at the first of the dance lessons ( which I believe will be the Cha Cha )

Bell Boy:cool:

What a lovely response, Bell Boy. This thread has shown both the very best and the not-so-best that this board has to offer. Thankfully "the very best" wins the day. And, based on my experience on the Fashion Week TA last year, everyone on this crossing will have a great time--dancing shoes on or off!

As tangoll says, I think it unlikely that you will find any of the officers in the Queen's Room for the dancing. You could possibly arrange something beforehand if you talk to them at one of the cocktail parties or some other occasion. Or as has been suggested, talk to the social hostess. She may (should?) know which, if any, of them dance.

tangoll, You're right, it's rare, but not unheard of. I have seen a couple of officers dancing on Queen Victoria, but that was with their own wives so doesn't really count . I have seen officers dancing with passengers on QE2, only once as far as I can recall, but it used to happen on Caronia on one of the formal nights. All the officers would ask a passenger to dance the first dance of the night. Most of them would disappear straight after that one dance but some would stay all evening.

Regards, Colin.

Way back in the distant past - 1969 to be exact - I was returning home from South Africa on the Windsor Castle, Union Castle Line, it was my very first time on a ship and had absolutely no idea what to expect. One night I found myself in the ballroom which was full of passengers and crew. I remember enjoying several dances with a young officer resplendent in his white uniform - well I was only young myself!!!

BTW I seem to remember as a young solo traveller I was placed in a cabin with 3 other strangers (bunk beds), toilets were separate and luggage that carried stuff needed for the trip was placed in a type of 'left luggage office' and when you wanted something you had to troop off to find your suitcase. Happy days!!

Oh Bell Boy, How gallant you are! My sister, daughter and I would be so happy and grateful to dance with you! I will look for you at the first dance lesson. I very much look forward to meeting you! I will be the one looking quite unsure of herself, while my daughter and sister will be looking young and lovely.

Thank you, kind sir,

Whirled Peas (aka Vanessa)

P.S. I am very grateful for all of the supportive comments this thread has provided to me. Thanks to all.

World Peace
Thank you Salacia, no wonder the term was unfamiliar!!:rolleyes:

Taking weekly dance lessons these days, a group at the Johnson Space Center; we're trying to remember what we knew a few short years ago. As is the nature of dance instructors, I get a verbal flogging on a regular basis.:p

Way back in the distant past - 1969 to be exact - I was returning home from South Africa on the Windsor Castle, Union Castle Line, it was my very first time on a ship and had absolutely no idea what to expect. One night I found myself in the ballroom which was full of passengers and crew. I remember enjoying several dances with a young officer resplendent in his white uniform - well I was only young myself!!!
I always wondered about the Castle Line as the Canadian Folk Singer Gordon Lightfoot had a song about em!!