Cruising as a non-drinker

Strophic

Neither of us can drink because of medical issues, I haven't drunk for many many years now. Because it's not part of our lives at home, it's not an issue that it's not part of our lives on vacation either. We do get the occasional comment about 'only living once', or 'just enjoy yourself, you're on vacation', but it's soon forgotten.

My I do not drink alcohol at all and my boyfriend hardly ever, he's planning on having only one alcoholic drink on the cruises. I know we will still have a ton of fun on our upcoming trip—his first ever and my first since I was 13, but I'd love to here from more teetotalers out there enjoy cruising. Do you find enough adult activities that don't revolve around alcohol to keep you entertained? Are you able to enjoy cruising without feeling pressured to purchase alcohol?

If you enjoy life without it I don't understand how you think it would be better with it. No one forces alcohol down your throat.

I cruised 3 times while pregnant and had a great time. Just like any party/restaurant/vacation/show on land, you only have to drink if you want to. Though I normally do drink, I've never felt cruise activities revolved around drinking.

Most of our cruises are family oriented so we don't drink a lot.

If you enjoy life without it I don't understand how you think it would be better with it. No one forces alcohol down your throat.

Well, this thread is six months old. I've actually already gone on the cruise I was talking about in the OP and had a great time.

Same for us.

Ditto. Neither DH nor I drink. We are elite on so we cruise a lot. We sit in the lounges, in Crooners to listen to the piano player, etc. We are usually asked once if we want a drink. When we say no, they typically put a napkin on our table and leave us alone the rest of the evening. We are big trivia players and we win often. One day, we won twice and got a bottle of champagne each time. We just gave it to the couple sitting nearest to us. Great way to make new friends.

My I do not drink alcohol at all and my boyfriend hardly ever, he's planning on having only one alcoholic drink on the cruises. I know we will still have a ton of fun on our upcoming trip—his first ever and my first since I was 13, but I'd love to here from more teetotalers out there enjoy cruising. Do you find enough adult activities that don't revolve around alcohol to keep you entertained? Are you able to enjoy cruising without feeling pressured to purchase alcohol?

I accept this as a genuine question. no one will push you to buy alcohol if you don't wish. Stewards will offer, may ask if you'd like a drink. NO THank you answers the question and that is that.

I would think you andyour boyfriend know what activties entertain you both and great...... do whatever (that is legal) that you both like.

Edited by sail7seas

Love this thread...even though it is a bit old.

I've been sober almost 4 years now. My husband and I took a cruise last December for my birthday...it was my 26th cruise but my first since I quit drinking.

My husband quit when I quit and we were blown away by what a great time we had. So much better than all of my other drinking cruises combined! And never any pressure to drink. We brought the wine from the steakhouse to Grandma who was watching the kids!

No hangovers. No bad decisions. And no gigantic bar bill at the end!

We are taking our kids who are seven and eight on the Dream this November and I'm so excited to introduce them to cruising and to be fully present with them. I'll admit I was worried at first since all of my past cruises were pre hubby/kids and total party fests! But the worry was for naught.

Happy Cruising to All! #ODAT

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A drink doesn't have to have alcohol in it. Haven't had any alcohol in almost three decades, and I'm just as happy watching a sunset with a tonic and lime, myself. If you've noted where bad behavior by passengers appears in threads, it's quite often fueled by drinking. Well, that and/or good ol' American self-entitlement ;) Up to the individual, I say. Live and Let Live.

I think they were just checking in saying they had a good time.

I'm one that never drinks alcohol and have always been able to enjoy nights out with friends. I find that cruises are awesome ways to vacation and the waitstaff are more than happy to serve if you would like something, or more than happy to move on to the next person if you don't want anything. I have never felt any pressure to purchase any drink, alcoholic or not.

I did not realize the trick about the waitstaff leaving a napkin though - makes sense.

For DW and I, cruising has nothing to do with alcohol, we find plenty of things to do but focus more on simple R&R. We do take the 2 bottles of wine on board and that is enough to satisfy us. We will buy a drink or two in addition to the wine but are comfortable with the water, tea, coffee, juice and lemonade during the cruise.

I get a water package so we can have premium water to fill our glasses in the room. You won't feel pressured, and you'll have a great time. If you want a fancy drink, just ask for a virgin. If you are a soda drinker, get a soda package.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not only will you have a great time without drinking, you will save a ton of money.

Agreed!

I usually get 3 comp bottles of wine on my cruises, and I just give them away to friends or family...

I quit drinking in 1987, and find that I can enjoy myself very much without it. I also like having a clear head at all times...